What are you playing now? [2023]

Just finishing my 3rd playthrough of BG3 - this game is amazing! Every now and then I am dipping into Call of the Mountain and Star Wars on PSVR2 and they're pretty cool. Started playing Starfield but, to be honest, I got bored very quickly and the weird ass menus and endless loading screens put me right off. So now I am waiting for Cyberpunk to re-release so I can get back into that.

Just checked and they say it's now on open beta... But to join the open beta, need to watch for twitch drops...

Why so convoluted lol

Thought it was about time I played Titanfall 2!!!!

Stunning looking at 240hz on an OLED and it plays even better.

Really enjoying the combat so far.

Attachments

• Titanfall2_2023_09_25_00_55_06_812.jpg
    Titanfall2_2023_09_25_00_55_06_812.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • Titanfall2_2023_09_25_01_01_15_003.jpg
    Titanfall2_2023_09_25_01_01_15_003.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Titanfall2_2023_09_25_01_02_35_140.jpg
    Titanfall2_2023_09_25_01_02_35_140.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Titanfall2_2023_09_25_01_02_46_538.jpg
    Titanfall2_2023_09_25_01_02_46_538.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Thought it was about time I played Titanfall 2!!!!

Stunning looking at 240hz on an OLED and it plays even better.

Really enjoying the combat so far.
Btw have you tried the??? MP?

It seems some people got titan guns in there, some got normal guns, and I always got the grenade launcher thingy

played the last decendant beta on XSS

• looks great when not moving, when moving the bad animation quality sticks out
  • positional audio is either not working properly of their mixing is busted
  • weird dialogue and voice direction that doesnt fit with the scene/situation
  • very baffling desync between level design, encounter design, gameplay design, and story design. for example, in one of the tutorial mission, it told you to use "rolls" to avoid enemy fire. but if you avoid the enemies, the door to the next area wont open. you need to go back and murder everyone. there's also no explanation why doors opens only when you completed any of the arbitrary objective (some door even mysteriously opens after your friend stops blabbering unrelated nonsense)
  • got quite extensive customization like different camera speed for aiming and not aimin, fov, and many more
basically its like the usual korean MMO with the usual design quirks that has always been in korean mmo. including the boring cutscene. but this time it looks great

Just got done playing the 2 Darkside Detective games. They are comedic supernatural point and click adventure games where the puzzles all make logical sense.

IMO, well worth it if you like point and click adventure games with comedic dialog. There's a demo for both available on Steam if you wanted to try it out.

Regards,
SB

I knew I made a mistake getting into Starfield when I knew it was going to be on GP forever. Now I'm desperately trying to get Persona 5 Royal done before it leaves GP. LOL

Edit: I gave up on the fools errand that is completing P5Royal in the next 7 days and decided to work on A Plague Tale Requiem which I'm betting will leave GP in mid-November. I'm on Chapter 14 right now and loving it.

Last edited:
Finished it. 8.7 from me.

Started Forza Motorsport and enjoyed my first few races. Also waiting to see what games are leaving GP in November. If not Persona 4, then I will play that. If Persona 4 is leaving I'll never make it through by the 15th, so I'll tackle something else - likely Crusader Kings III

Just finished Doom Eternal. Man what a crazy ride! Absolutely brilliant game that runs like a dream.

I wasn't too sure about it myself at first, but once I got a handle on the mechanics of it I found it quite fun aside from a couple of very hard jumps near the end that got a bit frustrating. I remember really enjoying Doom 2016 as well but maybe it's just because my memories faded of that game but this felt a bit more action packed/frantic compared to that one (which I like), and I actually enjoyed the story here as well.

The constant needing jumping around on platforms really pissed me off in Eternal and I thought the 2016 Doom was much better.
My take is that I enjoyed Doom 2016 more, but I still think Doom Eternal is one of the most refined and well designed shooters ever made.

My problem was simply that it was overwhelming. I beat Doom 2016 on Ultra Violence and felt it was a fair and balanced challenge. So I started Eternal on UV as well, but after about three levels and me dying at least once or twice on basically every new encounter and feeling up against it at basically all times, I had to suck in my pride and notch it down to normal difficulty. And it was still really difficult, and I was still dying relatively regularly, just a more tolerable, normal amount.

I'm pretty decent at shooters, but moreso with the actually 'shooty shooty' and movement parts. I was simply not prepared for the level of multi-tasking systems management that Eternal basically demands of you. Enemies are lethal, fast and surround you more than ever in Eternal, and so that already consumes a heavy chunk of my attention, just trying to stay moving and not get hit. But you are so severely limited on ammo, so you need to constantly be paying attention to your chainsaw replenishing, constantly needing to switch weapons as needed for specific enemy types and weakpoints(along with changing weapon mods on the fly...), constantly needing to pay attention to my recharge for fire to sustain the much-needed armor, constantly needing to pay attention to the very impactful grenade refill timers(and paying attention to which one I had activated), constantly having to pay attention to the super impactful blood punch readiness.

It took me until about halfway through the game before I really felt I was gaining any kind of handle on things rather than just panicking my way through every encounter. But even by the end, I still never really felt like I had 'gotten good' at it and was forever realizing after an encounter all the things I should have been doing that would have helped, but I just didn't have the literal mental capacity for in the moment. I feel like I would have benefited a lot from a second playthrough, but it was such a grueling experience already, I just didn't want to do it.

But I dont consider this a 'fault' of the game necessarily, cuz while it demands a lot from the player and to play a specific way, it is clearly a meticulously designed combat system with fantastic encounter design to match, and I'm not surprised how many people compare it just as much to sort of action games like Ninja Gaiden Black and Bayonetta than just to other shooters. It is clearly meant to be something for people to put time into and replay and genuinely learn to get better at.

And a testament to this is that going back and playing Doom 2016 afterwards, it almost feels too slow and easy, even though I had a better time with it the first time around. lol Even my half-baked Doom Eternal skills translated into dominating in Doom 2016.

Last edited:
I need to retry Doom 2016 with my higher refresh rate monitor, "just to see." I enjoyed it for a while, but somewhere along the lines I started getting motion sick I think? I wasn't sure if it was related to the pansy 60Hz max refresh rate of my Dell U2711 (which honestly is a great monitor, just not really meant for modern gaming.) Or maybe it's just the engine itself somehow is too fluid? Is that a thing? hehe...

Anyway, since I'm in this thread, I need to contribute: I'm 200 hours into Starfield and just started my NG+ run. Like I've seen a lot of people say online, my first go-round was pretty goody two shoes, so this time I'm going to play all the devlish sides of the various quests. And after this run, I'm probably gonna put it away for a little while and perhaps go back and restart Skyrim all modded to the hilt -- I kinda want to try my hand at those survivalist mods where you have to eat and sleep and wear proper clothes and taking care of injuries is significantly more intensive.

My take is that I enjoyed Doom 2016 more, but I still think Doom Eternal is one of the most refined and well designed shooters ever made.

My problem was simply that it was overwhelming. I beat Doom 2016 on Ultra Violence and felt it was a fair and balanced challenge. So I started Eternal on UV as well, but after about three levels and me dying at least once or twice on basically every new encounter and feeling up against it at basically all times, I had to suck in my pride and notch it down to normal difficulty. And it was still really difficult, and I was still dying relatively regularly, just a more tolerable, normal amount.

I'm pretty decent at shooters, but moreso with the actually 'shooty shooty' and movement parts. I was simply not prepared for the level of multi-tasking systems management that Eternal basically demands of you. Enemies are lethal, fast and surround you more than ever in Eternal, and so that already consumes a heavy chunk of my attention, just trying to stay moving and not get hit. But you are so severely limited on ammo, so you need to constantly be paying attention to your chainsaw replenishing, constantly needing to switch weapons as needed for specific enemy types and weakpoints(along with changing weapon mods on the fly...), constantly needing to pay attention to my recharge for fire to sustain the much-needed armor, constantly needing to pay attention to the very impactful grenade refill timers(and paying attention to which one I had activated), constantly having to pay attention to the super impactful blood punch readiness.

It took me until about halfway through the game before I really felt I was gaining any kind of handle on things rather than just panicking my way through every encounter. But even by the end, I still never really felt like I had 'gotten good' at it and was forever realizing after an encounter all the things I should have been doing that would have helped, but I just didn't have the literal mental capacity for in the moment. I feel like I would have benefited a lot from a second playthrough, but it was such a grueling experience already, I just didn't want to do it.

But I dont consider this a 'fault' of the game necessarily, cuz while it demands a lot from the player and to play a specific way, it is clearly a meticulously designed combat system with fantastic encounter design to match, and I'm not surprised how many people compare it just as much to sort of action games like Ninja Gaiden Black and Bayonetta than just to other shooters. It is clearly meant to be something for people to put time into and replay and genuinely learn to get better at.

And a testament to this is that going back and playing Doom 2016 afterwards, it almost feels too slow and easy, even though I had a better time with it the first time around. lol Even my half-baked Doom Eternal skills translated into dominating in Doom 2016.

Yes its extremely difficult. I prefer less of a challenge and more just creating carnage so I knocked it down to the lowest setting and even then I still died more than a handful of times.

Just got Robocop and it reminds me on 90's FPS games with who janky it feels.

I like it.

Graphics are decent but after playing Alan Wake 2 and CP2077 with path tracing on I'm really noticing the lack of shadows.

Maximum settings at 1440p with DLAA enabled and I'm 70-100fps so performance is much better than other UE5 games.

Back