What are you playing now? [2023]

My new Ultrawide monitor has me testing all kinds of games :runaway:

This game is still gorgeous!

View attachment 10133
I was really tempted to buy PS5 for this game. Loved the setting and it was a relief that it came to PC.

I remember playing it on the eyefinity setup with an UW in between on 6800XT.
VXCSfPv.jpg

Will have to rummage through the drives to find more pics, for now this will have to do.

As somebody who is still a tiny bit bitter at the change from 16:10 to 16:9 as standard, I'm not a big fan of ultrawides outside cockpit sims like you're talking about(or as a replacement for dual monitors for side-by-side work). I just feel the proportions are really off for the vast majority of game content. I dont understand why people dont value vertical space at all. I agree with some horizontal-biasing, but not to the extremes we've seen things go.

Plus I dont ever have to miss out on some good games just cuz I'm so angry they dont support my non-standard monitor aspect ratio. :p
I completely agree, I like my new Ultrawide monitor but it's not blowing me away to the point where I can never go back to 16:9.

And I still might go back to 16:9 yet.

I just feel the proportions are really off for the vast majority of game content. I dont understand why people dont value vertical space at all. I agree with some horizontal-biasing, but not to the extremes we've seen things go.

This makes no sense. You lose absolutely nothing of the vertical image with an ultra wide. You only gain extra horizontal image. Actual physical size isn't a factor as it's entirely dependent on screen size. Unless of course your talking about extreme screen sizes in the TV size range. But frankly VR even calls that into question now.

i.e. I have more actual physical vertical space on my 38" ultra wide than the vast majority of 16:9 monitors out there - just with extra horizontal space. And while you could always get a TV with more vertical space, it would still be lacking the horizonal FoV.

And then with something like Virtual desktop on VR (especially with Quest 3 passthrough) I can create a screen of virtually any size - but retaining the greater horizional FoV that ultra wide offers.

Plus I dont ever have to miss out on some good games just cuz I'm so angry they dont support my non-standard monitor aspect ratio. :p

That's a pretty weird justification for not wanting to get involved in 21:9 gaming. I mean, if someone appreciates 21:9 so much that they literally can't stand to play at 16:9 anymore, it would be pretty counterintuitive to avoid 21:9 completely just to avoid the occasional disappointment where it's not available.

Besides, basically all big name games these days support 21:9. And where they don't, the worst that can happen is you just play like everyone else is forced to all of the time. Not exactly the end of the world.

You wont feel that way a year from now.

I'm amazed anyone can feel like that after just 5 minutes. For me 21:9 is transformative to the experience. My PC is connected to both a 38" 21:9 and a 55" OLED TV. And I only use the TV under exceptional circumstances because the experience feels like such a significant downgrade. I remember benchmarking Rifts Apart at PS5 settings a few months ago (so forcing it to 16:9 resolution) and man the difference in how impressive that game looks when switching back to 21:9 is just enormous. It's obviously just my personal preferences but for me it was the difference between "this looks great" to "holy sh*t this looks amazing".

I'm amazed anyone can feel like that after just 5 minutes. For me 21:9 is transformative to the experience. My PC is connected to both a 38" 21:9 and a 55" OLED TV. And I only use the TV under exceptional circumstances because the experience feels like such a significant downgrade. I remember benchmarking Rifts Apart at PS5 settings a few months ago (so forcing it to 16:9 resolution) and man the difference in how impressive that game looks when switching back to 21:9 is just enormous. It's obviously just my personal preferences but for me it was the difference between "this looks great" to "holy sh*t this looks amazing".
Indeed. I knew right away there was no going back. I was initially concerned about how non 21:9 content would look.. and that quickly faded away as the entire experience of using the PC was simply better. Browsing the web is better, using Windows is better, games are much better, and just multi-tasking in general is far better. In gaming there's no comparison. Ultrawide always looks better.. it's far more immersive and impressive.

I think once he gets used to seeing games like that... his opinion will change. Games will start to look wrong and constricting in 16:9. Kind of like how some people initially coming off of a 60hz panel to a 120hz+ panel might downplay the improvement.... saying "yea it's a bit smoother".. but after 6 months of using it... going back will feel absolutely dreadful.

As somebody who is still a tiny bit bitter at the change from 16:10 to 16:9 as standard, I'm not a big fan of ultrawides outside cockpit sims like you're talking about(or as a replacement for dual monitors for side-by-side work). I just feel the proportions are really off for the vast majority of game content. I dont understand why people dont value vertical space at all. I agree with some horizontal-biasing, but not to the extremes we've seen things go.

Agree, right now I'd absolutely kill for an Microsoft Surface style 3:2 ratio monitor. I absolutely love the vertical space that gives me on my Surface book and REALLY wish I could have dual large screen 3:2 displays for my desktop. 4:3 and 5:4 gets a little too square with too much lost on the sides, so 3:2 seems almost ideal. But even 16:10 would be worlds better than the 16:9 displays I have now.

Regards,
SB

That's a pretty weird justification for not wanting to get involved in 21:9 gaming. I mean, if someone appreciates 21:9 so much that they literally can't stand to play at 16:9 anymore, it would be pretty counterintuitive to avoid 21:9 completely just to avoid the occasional disappointment where it's not available.

Besides, basically all big name games these days support 21:9. And where they don't, the worst that can happen is you just play like everyone else is forced to all of the time. Not exactly the end of the world.
Nowhere did I say it was my only justification, so I dont know why you're acting like it is. I very clearly stated my MAIN justification in the previous paragraph that you cropped out here. I just dont like the proportions for the vast majority of gaming content.

And I've seen LOTS of ultrawide owners say they wont buy whatever game because it doesn't support 21:9. No, I probably wouldn't be like that and was just kind of poking fun of those people, but my point was largely that it's nice to just have a basic, standardized setup that basically everything supports.

Nowhere did I say it was my only justification, so I dont know why you're acting like it is. I very clearly stated my MAIN justification in the previous paragraph that you cropped out here. I just dont like the proportions for the vast majority of gaming content.

I honestly just don't see what's not to like about getting more. You literally see more of the game world. I can kind of understand how someone not particularly interested in the visual aspects of gaming could not care one way or the other. But to actively dislike being able to see more of the game world seems a bit strange.

And I've seen LOTS of ultrawide owners say they wont buy whatever game because it doesn't support 21:9. No, I probably wouldn't be like that and was just kind of poking fun of those people, but my point was largely that it's nice to just have a basic, standardized setup that basically everything supports.

This feels a bit like saying I'd rather have a Ford Fiesta than a BMW M3 because then I won't be disappointed that every road isn't an autobahn where I can drive it at 150MPH. Except in the monitor scenario, the vast majority of 'roads' are auobahns where you actually can drive as fast as you want.

I honestly just don't see what's not to like about getting more. You literally see more of the game world. I can kind of understand how someone not particularly interested in the visual aspects of gaming could not care one way or the other. But to actively dislike being able to see more of the game world seems a bit strange.

This feels a bit like saying I'd rather have a Ford Fiesta than a BMW M3 because then I won't be disappointed that every road isn't an autobahn where I can drive it at 150MPH. Except in the monitor scenario, the vast majority of 'roads' are auobahns where you actually can drive as fast as you want.
Wow dude, I did not really think I was gonna have to get into an actual argument over all this.

"I honestly dont see what's not to like about getting more"

I've literally explained this and I dont know why you're ignoring that. It's more, but it's only in one direction. It feels disproportionate to me. It'd be like saying "What dont you like about this hamburger that adds four more bread patties but still only has one meat patty? Isn't more better?". I like more, but I want that more to be balanced, and with 21:9 I just feel like I'm being blocked off from vertical information in a video game. Like I'm looking through a wide window that's halfway closed.

"This feels a bit like saying I'd rather have a Ford Fiesta than a BMW M3 because then I won't be disappointed that every road isn't an autobahn where I can drive it at 150MPH. Except in the monitor scenario, the vast majority of 'roads' are auobahns where you actually can drive as fast as you want."

Peace of mind dude. It's not like that at all. I just like having a setup that I know will be supported. If we're going with a car analogy, it's kinda like buying a Ford Focus knowing that it'll be easily and affordably serviceable anywhere, rather than a Lancia Stratos that has its own unique qualities(that I may not even necessarily find desirable), but requires more specialty care and parts at god knows what cost. Again, I'm just talking about the peace of mind factor here.

And once again, this was never my main justification. Just a bonus.

If you like 21:9, that's great. You dont have to defend it like I'm insulting your mother dude. I'm not suggesting that 21:9 shouldn't exist or anything. It's just not for me.

Last edited:
Yes. I finished this one about a month ago. Gorgeous game and I loved it.

How do you guys play your games?

Do you go through them one at a time or have multiple games on the go at once and alternate?
I generally have one adventure/rpg game going, a racer, and an indie type game.

Right now that's Persona 4, Forza Horizon 5, and Vampire Survivors. I might add Titanfall 2 to the mix as I picked it up super cheap on Cyber Monday.

I usually have what I call a main game that I'm playing and then a couple of what I call quick blast games games that you can play for a short while like a racing game where I can play a quick race or a game like Unreal Tournament where I can play a few matches ect. There's nothing worse than playing a big complex game and not playing it for a while because when you go back to it you cant remember all the mechanics or the story or the controls eg: you need to engage electronic counter measures but you cant remember what key controls that so you have to pause the game go into the options and look it up and it says button 34 and then it's what the hell is button 34 I cant remember I think it's this one. Oh crap that was the eject button I have to start the mission again. So you pause the game alt tab out and look it up in the manual or run joy.cpl to find out what button 34 is.
I got a load of blank layouts printed so i can write in that each button does
1701684844886.png

Back