Warhawk Beta - May 24 (registration open!)

well I can't judge for myself but having played the original I'm kind of disappointed actually that it's not air combat only. I loved the original Warhawk and I loved the online of Crimson skies and I liked the BF series but the air combat was what excited me about this game.

The ground portion seems like an added component (compared to the original vision) that is IMO often better left to other games designed strictly for ground combat.

the balance of air/ground forces is a tough one to nail but hopefully this beta will help them sort that out (or maybe they have)

It's been a ground+air combat game for years now, the beta hasn't changed that, they only killed off the SP portion of the game. There are tons of official videos out too.

It's been a ground+air combat game for years now, the beta hasn't changed that, they only killed off the SP portion of the game. There are tons of official videos out too.

years? isn't this the first version since PS1 (air only)? or are you talking about development of this version?

I thought when they went to MP only that they dropped the ground combat too. so, I was under the impression it was an Air combat game.

edit:

just saw some Youtube beta footage... looks good but still would prefer air only (that part looks hot!) the ground stuff... not so much

Yes, this version. The Ps1 version would be decades, not years ;)

Intriguingly, the clip started off with images of a squad of soldiers moving through what appeared to be a cave, which seems to imply that there will be some kind of first- or third-person action segments in the game. The original Warhawk was exclusively flight-based.

May 16, 2005

First thing's first--this new Warhawk isn't all about aerial combat (though it is largely about aerial combat). There will in fact be plenty of ground combat included in the game as well, from tank and jeep gameplay to even on-foot stuff.

May 10, 2006

I'm not sure an air only, MP only game would work, but a new next gen Crimson Skies would (SP+MP air only).

Dunno why they're against pics and vids. The YouTube movies have looked great! Very smooth, well lit, nice vehicle physics, good character animation. And the menu screen looks really nice. I presume the clouds in the back are their realtime cloud engine. Very convincing!

Dunno why they're against pics and vids. The YouTube movies have looked great! Very smooth, well lit, nice vehicle physics, good character animation. And the menu screen looks really nice. I presume the clouds in the back are their realtime cloud engine. Very convincing!

the clouds were what jumped out at me... very nice... that's why i want air combat... if I were playing I would want a Warhawk plane available to me all the time. :p

I'm not sure an air only, MP only game would work, but a new next gen Crimson Skies would (SP+MP air only).

well CS's Multiplayer on Xbox1 Live was air combat only and was the number one played online game on the system until Halo2 came out, so I'd say there is potential. ;)

the clouds were what jumped out at me... very nice... that's why i want air combat... if I were playing I would want a Warhawk plane available to me all the time. :p

I've never been far from a warhawk in any games i've played so far..you can pretty much do what you want, when you want.

I don't know if I can talk too much about it, NDA (?), but I think the mix of air and ground combat works really well here.

I've never been far from a warhawk in any games i've played so far..you can pretty much do what you want, when you want.

I don't know if I can talk too much about it, NDA (?), but I think the mix of air and ground combat works really well here.

alright, thanks T.

yea, so long as you can choose it more or less at will instead of having people fighting (teamkilling when general public gets in) over them, then that's cool. :cool:

Yeah, I don't think the warhawks bear an exclusive appeal..it seems some people like ground, some people like air, and a lot of people like both. The game rewards you for indulging in both sides. Even with lots of people in the air, there seems to be a generous distribution of vehicles of all kinds. I've rarely not been able to get a vehicle I've wanted, really.

well CS's Multiplayer on Xbox1 Live was air combat only and was the number one played online game on the system until Halo2 came out, so I'd say there is potential. ;)

I doubt many people paid $50 to play it only on Live and before Halo 2 Live was pretty bare (GR the best). I think giving the people a choice of air or ground makes for a more complete game.

how full are the rooms? number of people per match?

is the air combat exciting as far as dogfighting or is it used more for ground support?

SCEA has 32 player servers, but people make their own matches too, so it's all over the place (8-32). Air was mostly dog fighting yesterday, but I suspect it will be both depending on the match type and experience of the players.

...I think giving the people a choice of air or ground makes for a more complete game.

if done right sure it can be.

My only point was that I want an online air only combat game that's fun (like CS's was on Live1 back in the day) not a flight sim or not a BF sandbox game.

that's just my preference/opinion. I was originally under the (mistaken) impression that's what this game was.

if done right sure it can be.

My only point was that I want an online air only combat game that's fun (like CS's was on Live1 back in the day) not a flight sim or not a BF sandbox game.

that's just my preference/opinion

SC is BC (and still looks very good for its age) , so you already have what you want and you can pick it up for $5 used! :)

how full are the rooms? number of people per match?

is the air combat exciting as far as dogfighting or is it used more for ground support?

I've played in games up to 24 people, with a full 24 people, and in games all the way down to just 2 people. I've enjoyed it at all scales..with one-on-ones you can super-neat cat-and-mouse scenarios between ground and air that might otherwise be disrupted by others in a team game (think of one person in the air, one person on the ground, both dodging in and between buildings trying to catch the other, and think of aerial dog fights and sudden breaks for the ground to capture a base or something, and vice versa...sudden shifts that you can't really predict, it's really tense and fun). On the other end, of course, games with large teams have a totally different dynamic. I've had some pretty dramatic games so far with larger teams.

Air combat is exciting on both ends, air-to-air and air-to-ground. You have to engage in the latter in larger matches if only because of the current power of turrets (in fact they probably need to be balanced), and, well, it's just fun getting down low and chasing tanks or jeeps with your warhawk, and forcing them to take less obvious routes to avoid you, or again, playing cat-and-mouse with tunnels etc. Those sorts of chases can be lots of fun :)

SC is BC (and still looks very good for its age) , so you already have what you want and you can pick it up for $5 used! :)

yea, my buddy has it but I want/need that online competition... not a big single player guy. :cool:

it's just that this game has me intrigued more than any other PS3 game to date (or announced) actually.

....and, well, it's just fun getting down low and chasing tanks or jeeps with your warhawk, and forcing them to take less obvious routes to avoid you, or again, playing cat-and-mouse with tunnels etc. Those sorts of chases can be lots of fun :)

thanks T

yea... strafing live ground targets sound like fun too. :cool:

Back