Visit to Japan in 2025

Speaking of Japan, I bought one of those Japanese sofa beds, but it was a bit small it could have done with an extra foot on

Ghibli Museum in Mitaka.

AAAABQSGPq9p2dCuOIL7P2LfRVk7j1idBqHmm4dFdVL2zIEZEgVLvQXseVRuxcwyxvILIWrdRNgzjiXblfivUnE_o7bN_r7Rj9PSK99m.jpg

If you go to Kobe you can have a really nice short hike at the Shin Kobe Shinkansen station. Just go up the mountain and there are some waterfalls you can look at!

If you go to Kobe you can have a really nice short hike at the Shin Kobe Shinkansen station. Just go up the mountain and there are some waterfalls you can look at!
Here is our list for Kobe now, though once again will have to look through it more.

a. Nunobiki Falls (tuna mentioned)
b. Sorakuen Garden
c. Hakogi Sennenya House
d. Rokko Alpine Botanical Garden
e. Taisan-ji Temple
f. Kobe Lampwork Glass Museum
g. Akashi Kaikyo National Government Park - Kobe Area
h. Kobe Municipal Arboretum
i. Sumaura Park - if cherries are blossoming
J. Shakubuji Temple

A piece of advice: keep the distances/access in mind. For example The Kobe Arboretum and botanical gardens aren't they easiest to get to without a car. They're also fairly big. Assuming you want to see most of it you'll easily spend a whole day. The arboretum is mostly forest as well by the way. Might not be the most interesting in March/April.

Since you're going to Kyoto you might want to look at the arboretum in Kyoto. It has easier access and more flowers. Though Rokko is better if you want more of a hike. You might want to look at a map and plan Kyoto around all the "must see" areas. Basically Arashiyama, Gion, Fushimi Inari, Kiyomizudera and kinkakuji. Arashiyama has the bamboo forest like you mentioned but if you want a bit of a hike you can go up the mountain (and see some wild monkeys along the way). Kyoto isn't that big and if you have a bicycle you can get to most places fairly easily. Though some courage is required given the total lack of awareness of Japanese no matter their mode of transport.

I would also recommand thinking about staying a night in Arima Onsen if you want to go to an Onsen. Because its a bit more upscale and expensive its not that uncommon for even the public baths the be (nearly) empty (last time I went there, which was a while back). You can get the "traditional" style dinner served at your room which is fun as well and good quality. Its basically next to Kobe.

Akashi Kaikyo, and the whole of Awaji Island by the way, is nice but you'll defenitly want to go there by car. Right next to the park you have Aqua Ignis which is an outdoor bath (mixed gender so non nude) with a great view of the ocean. Its a good place to relax and get clean after walking around.

We talked about wanting to do an onsen. But not a specific one though so I appreciate the suggestion. I had originally thought a more bucolic one, but had no real plan and it seems like the picture makes it seem more in the city than it is . We're not rich so we'll have to see the prices. The whole gold water and silver water thing is funny to me since I think one is radium rich water. Silver water apparently is there radioactive one. That didn't seem exciting to me šŸ˜ƒ. We still don't know if we'll have a car, but could get one for sure. The hike by the bamboo forest definitely sounds good.

Last edited:
We talked about wanting to do an onsen. But a specific one though so I appreciate the suggestion. I had originally thought a more bucolic one, but had no real plan and it seems like the picture makes it seem more in the city than it is . We're not rich so we'll have to see the prices. The whole gold water and silver water thing is funny to me since I think one is radium rich water. Silver water authority is there respective one. That didn't seem exciting to me šŸ˜ƒ. We still don't know if we'll have a car, but could get one for sure. The hike by the bamboo forest definitely sounds good.

We did went to Arima onsen this time, and went with the "golden" one in a public bath. It's reasonably foreigner friendly, with instructions in English and such. It's quite hot so I didn't stay for too long, but to me it's still quite relaxing. The onsen itself is not expensive, you can make it under 1,000 yen per person, and they sell towels too if you don't have one.

You're supposed to sit on the side and contemplate life and then get back in if you are feeling a bit cold. Rinse and repeat :LOL:

If you want the full experience I'd avoid public baths. You can get lucky but they can get very crowded and usually aren't as nice as the once the hotels have. The good hotels aren't cheap but not outrageously expensive either. I haven't been to Arima in years but usually we go to some other place at least twice a year. Usually I think you can expect to pay something like 200 ~ 300 dollars per person per night including dinner and breakfast. If you treat it as a day out its really not that much more expensive than a lot of other activities. But if its not something you're really interested in its probably not worth it.

If you're spending time in Osaka have a look at the aquarium (kaiyukan). Generally zoo's etc. in Japan aren't very good but this one is nice. You can also do a long stroll along the river (yodogawa) which has many areas lined with sakura. Obviously depends on timing but if you're there at the right time its nice.

I'd also recommend getting dinner at the "ekimae buidling 3" close to Umeda station. The place is a fucking maze but its one of the last places I know where you can get a whiff of the good old "Showa" era. Go to one of the many places serving Kushikatsu. Dirt cheap but pretty decent and you can enjoy setting shoulder to shoulder in a cramped place while having a look at Osaka's particular breed of people strolling by. And best of all, no tourists ;)

would also recommand thinking about staying a night in Arima Onsen if you want to go to an Onsen. Because its a bit more upscale and expensive its not that uncommon for even the public baths the be (nearly) empty (last time I went there, which was a while back). You can get the "traditional" style dinner served at your room which is fun as well and good quality. Its basically next to Kobe.
Do you remember the ballpark, how many yen was that?

Im planning to visit Japan again in the future, when I have the funds

Actually I think you should boycott Japan why? I've just found out the Japanese government has banned floppy discs - outrageous......

Last edited:
Back