Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I feel neither of those games looks better than others that have come before. UE5 not making a difference to the racing genre so far.

I feel neither of those games looks better than others that have come before. UE5 not making a difference to the racing genre so far.

Game visuals are far more about budget and art now, rather than underlying tech. Tons of people gushing over Ghost of Tsushima, a years old last gen game, because hey look it has fantastic art. The days of tech demos being cool by themselves feel long gone, if The Matrix Awakens demo hadn't had a huge budget behind it I doubt anyone would've been much impressed.

Game visuals are far more about budget and art now, rather than underlying tech. Tons of people gushing over Ghost of Tsushima, a years old last gen game, because hey look it has fantastic art. The days of tech demos being cool by themselves feel long gone, if The Matrix Awakens demo hadn't had a huge budget behind it I doubt anyone would've been much impressed.

You can kind of see that in UE5 games. Early games would use nanite but didn’t really have the assets to show it off the way Hellblade does. UE 5.3 definitely has improvements over earlier versions but Hellblade has art assets of significantly higher quality.

Man, going back and watching the Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo, and it really is like Hellblade 2 hit on pretty much all of those aspects of that demo. It's really quite comparable, though perhaps texture detail is paired back, since you know this is a full game with many different locations an such. I wonder what the file size was for that demo running on PS5? But anyway HB2 really does deliver of the promise of Unreal Engine 5.

Also sounds like what The Coalition are doing with Gears is going to be potentially even better.. and we should hopefully be seeing that within a couple weeks. Man I'm beyond hyped for that. Plus we have Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra coming from Amy Hennig which looks easily on par with Hellblade 2. I think it's safe to say that UE5 is finally here.

Man, going back and watching the Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo, and it really is like Hellblade 2 hit on pretty much all of those aspects of that demo. It's really quite comparable, though perhaps texture detail is paired back, since you know this is a full game with many different locations an such. I wonder what the file size was for that demo running on PS5? But anyway HB2 really does deliver of the promise of Unreal Engine 5.

Also sounds like what The Coalition are doing with Gears is going to be potentially even better.. and we should hopefully be seeing that within a couple weeks. Man I'm beyond hyped for that. Plus we have Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra coming from Amy Hennig which looks easily on par with Hellblade 2. I think it's safe to say that UE5 is finally here.
The first UE4 titles released in 2014 and it wasn't until 2019 (Gears 5, Days Gone, and Jedi: Fallen Order) that games were able to achieve fidelity comparable to the Elemental and Infiltrator demos. And even then some would argue that no UE4 games could achieve that fidelity on last-gen consoles. The first UE5 titles came last year, so it's very impressive that some titles are already getting similar fidelity to the demos.

That does look really good and such a welcome changed from the all the Fortnite style battle arena crap that's all the rage currently.

Would love to see a version of Counter Strike in this style.

Back