Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Been playing more Ark with my wife and I gotta say... it really continues to make me sit back and say "wow this looks pretty great", even with pretty mundane early game builds and such. Can't wait to see what some of the skilled builders come up with.

While shadow foliage flicker is still an obvious issue (particularly frustrating for me as you might expect, heh), they've been patching quickly and some of the other issues have gotten a bit better and performance has improved a bit. Certainly moving in the right direction.

Yes, high world geometry and complexity (high poly not just more and more low poly objects) is starting to make any game without it start to look really dated to me (like Cyberpunk still looks great but it's more and more looking decidedly last gen). While ideally I'd love to have both in a game, for me something like this trumps current "hardware accelerated" RT. OTOH - it helps me understand more how for some people playing a lot of RT games makes any non-RT game look dated and I can understand how they visually are more impressed by RT than high world geometry and complexity (again high poly based and not just more low poly objects).

Each brings its own revolution WRT detail. One brings vastly more world detail (including "correctness") while the other brings potentially vastly more lighting detail (again including correctness). Again, ideally we'd have both. Currently at least for me, lumen is quite acceptable as an alternative to current "hardware accelerated" RT.

Looking at the future and the silicon wall we're hitting, I do wonder if I'll actually ever be able to really enjoy both in a game as thus far any form of temporal reconstruction/upscaling has annoyed me more than it has impressed me and upper end video cards are hard to justify in any budget of mine. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

Yes, high world geometry and complexity (high poly not just more and more low poly objects) is starting to make any game without it start to look really dated to me (like Cyberpunk still looks great but it's more and more looking decidedly last gen).
Yeah I mentioned this last year I think in this thread... I spend so much time looking at high poly Nanite stuff now that polygon jaggies and textures/normal maps on flat surfaces really stand out now. It's kind of like how when you go from a 60->120Hz display it feels like a minor upgrade, but if you try to go back to 60 after getting used to 120, it feels bad.

Funny personal anecdote: early in my career when I was working on Larrabee stuff at Intel still I worked with a guy who had come there from the film industry, and he was constantly asking how we put up with how bad curved objects look in games. At the time I shrugged and said I didn't really notice the jagged polygons... little did I know ~15 years later I'd understand his point :LOL:

Each brings its own revolution WRT detail. One brings vastly more world detail (including "correctness") while the other brings potentially vastly more lighting detail (again including correctness). Again, ideally we'd have both. Currently at least for me, lumen is quite acceptable as an alternative to current "hardware accelerated" RT.
Yeah both matter. Which is more important depends a lot on the specific game I think. For Cyberpunk for instance it's clearly the best to have some compromises on the geometry side to get super fancy lighting. But I too can't wait until we can have both together!

Looking at the future and the silicon wall we're hitting, I do wonder if I'll actually ever be able to really enjoy both in a game as thus far any form of temporal reconstruction/upscaling has annoyed me more than it has impressed me and upper end video cards are hard to justify in any budget of mine. /sigh.
The pricing of PC GPUs is a real issue. One always hopes that things filter down to the console tech (and sometimes get driven from that side too of course) and on the positive side I think there's a lot of potentially low hanging fruit on this front. Nanite shows that we can render convincing high detail images but with reasonable numbers of triangles rendered onscreen. There's no reason we can't raytrace the number of triangles that Nanite has streamed in, it's mostly just a question of making the APIs (and potentially hardware) less reliant on precomputation for RT and more able to dynamically stream and construct/adjust acceleration structures on the fly. RT can make the lighting options a lot more dynamic, but conversely it currently makes the geometry less-so.

We'll get that I think. Unless AI gets to the point where there's no reason to actually render high detail images and instead we just render placeholders and let it create all the detail on the backend...... I'm only half joking; there's a world in which that could happen, especially if GPUs keep putting more and more hardware into tensor cores at the expense of general compute.

Last edited:
Funny personal anecdote: early in my career when I was working on Larrabee stuff at Intel still I worked with a guy who had come there from the film industry, and he was constantly asking how we put up with how bad curved objects look in games. At the time I shrugged and said I didn't really notice the jagged polygons...

This has never NOT bothered me.

This has never NOT bothered me.

I think Alan Wake to Alan Wake 2 is a really funny comparison because one of the great weaknesses of Alan Wake 1 was it had such low poly counts for this. You'd see things that were supposed to be round that were hexagonal and now they've gone the opposite direction and are pushing geometry much harder than the majority of games. A lot changes in 13 years.

So extremely heavy on max settings but fairly reasonable on optimised settings.

Best of both worlds IMO. Its great to see PC games starting to scale in meaningful ways beyond the console baseline all the way up to the highest end hardware.

The new PCGH testing methodology is really good too. I.e. test at max to establish a baseline but then test at more optimised settings to give a more real world view of how the game can perform.

And I totally agree with their choice to include upscaling quality in all the benchmarks given the performance levels. We're getting ever closer to retiring native res as a meaningful test.

Yes, high world geometry and complexity (high poly not just more and more low poly objects) is starting to make any game without it start to look really dated to me (like Cyberpunk still looks great but it's more and more looking decidedly last gen). While ideally I'd love to have both in a game, for me something like this trumps current "hardware accelerated" RT. OTOH - it helps me understand more how for some people playing a lot of RT games makes any non-RT game look dated and I can understand how they visually are more impressed by RT than high world geometry and complexity (again high poly based and not just more low poly objects).

Regards,
SB
When I look at the ARK pictures many places doesn't look much more detailed than games like Horizon Forbidden West or Ghost Recon Breakoint. Sure ARK has more polygons per object but that difference has less of an impact on the overall impression than grounded and artifact free lighting. For a more stable image pop-ups must also disappear too but they are also been visable with Nanite and Mesh Shader.

After watching the Alan Wake 2 videos even multiple users in this forum said that the environment and graphics looked undetailed even though it's one of the games or THE game with the highest level of geometry per object. Actually people should have jumped up and cheered the extremely detailed assets as soon as they saw them but despite the many Alan Wake 2 gameplay videos apparently nobody even noticed the higly detailed assets before the talk about mesh shaders.
Therefore extremly high polycounts doesn't make that much of a difference for most scenarios after all whereas in Cyberpunk 2077 the pathtracing is rightly praised even by the masses.

As a graphics enthusiast I of course want to see much more movie quality Nanite/Mesh Shader assets on the screen too but it looks like the effect is overestimated when you compare it to other games that also have a lot of polygons per object. What's more important for overall impression to me is whether you can continue to display a lot of detail for distant objects.

Last edited:
For a more stable image pop-ups must also disappear too but they are also been visable with Nanite and Mesh Shader.
There's not really a significant amount of pop-in to my eyes; the main thing is some of the small mesh scatter like pebbles which indeed would be nice if they faded to texture better, but for the most part the image is very stable all the way up to the sky and back.

Sure ARK has more polygons per object but that difference has less of an impact on the overall impression than grounded and artifact free lighting.
Indeed the places where the geometry makes a big difference is *in* the lighting. In many cases the thing that makes real geometry look different from normal maps or POM or similar is not just motion parallax but the fine detail lighting and shadowing it creates. This is one of the main reasons it was important to have something like VSMs alongside Nanite; without high detail shadows, the high detail geometry is not nearly as obvious. I think shots like this - which again is just some of the most basic assets in the game - show it off well. And this is effectively for user generated content in an open world with fully dynamic lighting/time of day, not some professional tweaked shot/scene.
Screenshot 2023-11-02 232017.png

You may have to play it to get the proper experience. My wife - who is pretty far from a graphic nerd - comments on it quite a bit and it's something I almost never hear her comment on in other games. I'd encourage you guys to check it out if you have a high end GPU; it really does look quite nice in motion. I'm curious to see how much of that they will be able to maintain on the consoles.

That said no shade against Horizon Forbidden West - also a fantastic looking game and certainly more polished.

After watching the Alan Wake 2 videos even multiple users in this forum said that the environment and graphics looked undetailed even though it's one of the games or THE game with the highest level of geometry per object.
Indeed it's definitely not the raw polygon count that matters, but the perception of detail where we expect it to be. Alan Wake 2 has some really nicely detailed objects and not much pop-in from what I've seen of it so far, but it's admittedly a bit uneven in the visual impact. Some of the foliage is nice, but it's light on the ground clutter/scatter so you still see textured terrain polygons. The rocks are smooth, but seem to lack high frequency detail. The town environment is probably the nicest of what I've seen so far, but it's also fairly small. I'm still early on but I'd say the interiors are excellent, while the exterior stuff is more average.

Therefore extremly high polycounts doesn't make that much of a difference for most scenarios after all whereas in Cyberpunk 2077 the pathtracing is rightly praised even by the masses.
I think the situation wasn't actually that much different to be honest. Again anecdotal but even my technically inclined friends - and myself to some extent - wouldn't necessarily say the difference between pathtracing and the regular RT path in cyberpunk is that massive in most cases. I respect the technology, but I think it says a lot that the tech they had before pathtracing actually still holds up quite well and obviously still has advantages in performance and ghosting. And I do think that like with AW2 it took DF and other places finding and showing off the places where things look exceptional for people to start noticing more broadly.

What's more important for overall impression to me is whether you can continue to display a lot of detail for distant objects.
Good continuous LOD and getting rid of pop-in is definitely near the top of my list too. That along with adding significantly more clutter to scenes is what we really need from the geometric side. On the lighting side we're moving in the right direction, but it'll really pay off once we get it interacting with higher detail geometry too.

I'll repeat my perhaps obvious take that both are important and the relative importance of each depends a lot on the specific game.

Last edited:
The geometric detail in Alan Wake 2 is a big step up of what you usually see in games but it's not quite that "pixel-level" fine detail that Nanite can do, especially in the more open areas. There has also been quite a lot of pop-in in my playthrough which I assume is related to the aggressive streaming/culling the engine does.

You may have to play it to get the proper experience. My wife - who is pretty far from a graphic nerd - comments on it quite a bit and it's something I almost never hear her comment on in other games. I'd encourage you guys to check it out if you have a high end GPU; it really does look quite nice in motion. I'm curious to see how much of that they will be able to maintain on the consoles.
It's a massive upgrade from the ue4 version, i'm also curious to see how the console version comes out. Hopefully it might cause some performance improvements that flow back to the pc version.

Here's a video comparing it to old ark.

and one just showing off ue5 version.

I don't consider ghosting a problem, I played lots and lots of AA games with UE4 engines and other engines, where TAA itself is plagued with considerable ghosting at native resolution.
It's not a binary thing of course. My point is just that the more you undersample things (i.e. stochastic samples, lights, RTXDI, etc) and rely on reconstruction, the more of a tradeoff with ghosting and noise it will be. There's still (much) less ghosting in cyberpunk with path tracing off, even if you ignore the performance differences (which isn't entirely fair, as performance directly relates to sampling rates at fixed amounts of motion).

Last edited:
Indeed the places where the geometry makes a big difference is *in* the lighting. In many cases the thing that makes real geometry look different from normal maps or POM or similar is not just motion parallax but the fine detail lighting and shadowing it creates. This is one of the main reasons it was important to have something like VSMs alongside Nanite; without high detail shadows, the high detail geometry is not nearly as obvious. I think shots like this - which again is just some of the most basic assets in the game - show it off well. And this is effectively for user generated content in an open world with fully dynamic lighting/time of day, not some professional tweaked shot/scene.
View attachment 9954

Exactly, it's this exact thing that while impressive, makes Cyberpunk look dated. It's that weird mix of looking both really advanced (lighting) and really dated (geometry and most importantly lack of geometry for light to properly interact with).

Indeed it's definitely not the raw polygon count that matters, but the perception of detail where we expect it to be.

Yes, it's like when polygon based trees started to replace billboard trees. Or polygon based characters replaced billboard characters.

Likewise, for me, it can't be stated enough how impactful it is to start seeing actual geometry replacing textures attempting to replicate actual geometry. It's that same sort of "holy carpe" this thing is actually starting to look like a real thing. This is especially true if there also happens to be remotely correct lighting.

In other words for me, RT lighting up texture tricks instead of actual geometry just accentuates how low poly everything is in older games and for me actually makes it look worse because now it's much harder to ignore the low poly nature of older games. Cyberpunk 2077 suffers from this for me, even though it's still a great looking game. RT both makes it look better and worse at the same time for me.

Good continuous LOD and getting rid of pop-in is definitely near the top of my list too. That along with adding significantly more clutter to scenes is what we really need from the geometric side. On the lighting side we're moving in the right direction, but it'll really pay off once we get it interacting with higher detail geometry too.

I'll repeat my perhaps obvious take that both are important and the relative importance of each depends a lot on the specific game.

Yes, there are times when I wish the lighting were a bit better when it interacts with the high geometry in Ark, similar to how I feel with Cyberpunk 2077, except wishing the geometry was better. However, Lumen is a far better, IMO, approximation of correct lighting than the low geometric density and use of texture tricks in Cyberpunk are for reproducing something that looks like a real object.

Oooh, it's going to be fantastic when both very high geometric density meets really high quality lighting.

Regards,
SB

Back