Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

The Titanic project is now running on UE5. Demo 401 v2.0 coming March 3.

More new trailers: https://www.youtube.com/@TitanicHG/videos

I tried this. It is so cool. It won't let me enable ray tracing on my 6700XT which I don't understand but it looks amazing even without it. Runs well enough (6700XT, 13600K, 32GB DDR5-5600, NVME SSD) other than the occasional pause which I assume is loading something. Happens every time I cross certain thresholds so I don't think it's compilation.

I hope they release the whole ship as one demo without loading screens (even if it freezes to load sometimes) or "level" selection but I don't know if that's possible. Right now you have to select which section (1st class, 2nd class etc.) of the ship you want to explore. I haven't checked out pleb class yet but I have to say even 2nd class is incredibly luxurious compared to the cruise ships I've been on. Floors me that they could build this 100+ years ago. Even recreating it digitally must be a herculean task.

giphy.gif

I tried this. It is so cool. It won't let me enable ray tracing on my 6700XT which I don't understand but it looks amazing even without it. Runs well enough (6700XT, 13600K, 32GB DDR5-5600, NVME SSD) other than the occasional pause which I assume is loading something. Happens every time I cross certain thresholds so I don't think it's compilation.

I hope they release the whole ship as one demo without loading screens (even if it freezes to load sometimes) or "level" selection but I don't know if that's possible. Right now you have to select which section (1st class, 2nd class etc.) of the ship you want to explore. I haven't checked out pleb class yet but I have to say even 2nd class is incredibly luxurious compared to the cruise ships I've been on. Floors me that they could build this 100+ years ago. Even recreating it digitally must be a herculean task.
There's a new demo coming out tomorrow which uses UE5 features.

Does it still support VR? I can't see any mention of it on the website now other than to say they hope to support it in the future.

I've actually touched a part of the Titanic's hull when I went to the Titanic exhibition in London 11 years ago.

I've saw the actual bell that was rang when the ice berg was spotted too.

Was very cool but very strange feeling too walking around all the recovered items.

The new UE5-powered Titanic demo is now downloadable :

All systems require a GPU with DirectX12 support. Included Unreal Engine prerequisites must be installed.

Minimum requirements*
Dual-core CPU
8GB of RAM
GPU with 4GB of video memory**
45GB of free disk space

Recommended requirements
Quad-core CPU
16GB of RAM
GPU with 8GB of video memory
45GB of free disk space

* Smaller levels may have lower minimum requirements.
** Note that 1st Class requires approximately 7GB of RAM and VRAM. VRAM is shared with system memory, so it is possible to run 1st class with a GPU that only has 4GB of VRAM, as long as you have at least 12GB of RAM.

Last edited:
The new UE5-powered Titanic demo is now downloadable
The mirror in their site provided a much faster download for me, so might wanna try that if the main link is slow.

Really beautiful demo. Quite a lot of pop-in though, doesnt look like Nanite is being used in this.

The mirror in their site provided a much faster download for me, so might wanna try that if the main link is slow.

Really beautiful demo. Quite a lot of pop-in though, doesnt look like Nanite is being used in this.
It is fantastic. Performance is much, much better than the old demo. I didn't check fps but I could play deathmatch in here no problem. The graphics are definitely better. The thing I noticed most vs the old demo (which was already amazing) was the quality and stability of the image. There was much less weird artifacting. Stuff still pops from LOD levels when moving the camera but you really have to look for it.

I found a sign on the ship that said the demo would be coming to Steam with VR support.

And yes the mirror is 100x faster. New demo is 40GB, old one was around 14GB IIRC. New demo is slightly smaller after unzipping :)

Last edited:

Some improvement with UE 5.2
Quality and performance updates in Lumen include:

• Improved GI and occlusion on characters for thin geometry (such as folds in shirts, nose, and ears) and better integration with hair grooms
  • High-quality reflections on translucency now support material roughness (rather than being restricted to mirror-only)
  • The Surface Cache is now driven by feedback for Software Ray-Traced (SWRT) reflections, providing higher-resolution reflections and faster reactions to scene changes
  • SWRT mode uses Async Compute on console by default
  • Better approximation of secondary bounces in reflections with Hardware Ray Tracing (HWRT) hit lighting
  • Two-sided foliage support in HWRT hit lighting

EDIT:

Last edited:
Interesting to see if spending more time with Lumen can achieve similar visuals as path tracing, or was this the best possible result?
Afaik Unity's book of the dead has bolt-on occlusion probes to deal with dense forest, pretty cool:
Presently Occlusion Probes are not 'a feature' and do not exist officially on our roadmaps. Rather they are an example of how the Custom Bake API in 2018.1 can be used to extend the Progressive Lightmapper.

While an experimental implementation of the Occlusion Probe system exists, the 3D texture data generated by the probes is not handled natively in any standard Unity shaders. To use the data, you will need to write your own shaders - and more to the point - be brave enough to modify Unity's lighting functions.

Interesting to see if spending more time with Lumen can achieve similar visuals as path tracing, or was this the best possible result?

I think the video said it was like 2k samples per pixel for the path tracing and 64 samples per pixel for lumen. It’s just not going to come close. Also lumen is designed for real time so it’s not really really surprising it would deviate from ground truth in a complex scene.

Back