Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Unreal Editor for fortnite should be shown and potentially released today. Full Roblox style conversions for Fortnite. Curious to see how I’m depth it is. We may see a lot of good test scenes for lumen and nanite because it should be easier than building a game or scene from the ground up in the full UE. I know you can import custom models, textures, animations and create effects, shaders.

I think the video said it was like 2k samples per pixel for the path tracing and 64 samples per pixel for lumen. It’s just not going to come close. Also lumen is designed for real time so it’s not really really surprising it would deviate from ground truth in a complex scene.

I don’t fully understand how Lumen works but it’s probably handicapped by the low resolution of the surface cache. Tracing more rays into such a low fidelity representation of the scene can only help so much. The forest scene is likely a worst case scenario for Lumen with all of the fine geometry for leaves/branches. Hardware triangle RT is available for the first bounce on mirror reflections in Lumen but all subsequent bounces apparently use the much lower resolution cache. The unreal docs are confusing and don’t really say whether hardware RT can also be enabled for general usage on surface cache updates for diffuse surfaces.

Goodness Fortnite looks good.

Is everything next gen games should be, all the latest features, but appropriate for the hardware.

The metahuman capture with mobile was intense. God dang, incredible.

Man UEFN is the future.

Last edited:
if i understood correctly, anyone can create anything in fortnite now (with a PC of course) and then put the demos in Fortnite available to everyone even console owners.

if i understood correctly, anyone can create anything in fortnite now (with a PC of course) and then put the demos in Fortnite available to everyone even console owners.

Yes. And I guess if you sign up for their creative program you'll actually get paid based on how many people play your "island" and for how long. Get your cut of the probably $1+ billion revenue they're sharing. They're sharing 40% of billions. Well, it's 5.8 billion to date. Not sure how much they bring in per month, but it's a lot. I'm sure they're not touching past revenue, but it's going to keep generating billions for a while.

Yea, you ask yourself why bother making games from scratch when you can drop a sweet mod into UEFN.

There are so many things you can do on that island.

Yea, you ask yourself why bother making games from scratch when you can drop a sweet mod into UEFN.

Facebook/Meta should take a serious look at hosting their MetaVerse as a UEFN mod. They might just actually have some income that way. Stop burning the billions on trying to create their own from scratch.

I have to say, I watched a presentation on Verse as a programming language and it does not look that approachable for newbies. Very odd choice. It's like Haskell + Prolog which is ... logical functional. Okay ...

I think most newbies would be better off with a simple procedural language, but I guess we'll have to see.

Otherwise making mods for fortnite could be a much better way for people to get into game making and actually make some money, then starting from scratch with Unity or UE and then dumping your game on steam and hoping for the best.

It's like Haskell + Prolog which is ... logical functional.
Perhaps there are performance implications here which is why they are pushing for this instead. Once you go functional, it's easy to scale, and it moves away from OOP. All good things in terms of speed.

Perhaps there are performance implications here which is why they are pushing for this instead. Once you go functional, it's easy to scale, and it moves away from OOP. All good things in terms of speed.
Yah, it seemed to be interesting in how you could create logical sets and then convert them into arrays, so probably easy to do simd

Back