Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Looks amazing, but how are you going to do smashing through buildings, etc.? That level of visuals without the environmental interaction/destruction to go with it would be really frustrating IMO.

Looks amazing, but how are you going to do smashing through buildings, etc.? That level of visuals without the environmental interaction/destruction to go with it would be really frustrating IMO.
Yep it will all come to game design with limitations i guess. Would be cool to have both destruction but m not necessary in my opinion.

So it's the exact same demo where you can already fly around, but they've added a superman model with animations. Am I missing something?

Some little snippets from Alex' upcoming UE5 video.

Just wow. The differences at night between Hardware and Software Lumen are enormous.

I've also made similar observations with the CPU overhead when using HW-RT in UE5. The lower the resolution gets, the more the GPU gets underutilized. It's better with SW-Lumen, which makes sense as the BVH creation costs some CPU performance.

Explains alot, have been saying it, you cant compare a polished release (console) to this sample release. Good to have Alex/DF confirm that.

Edit: theres people saying that UE5 city sample is doing ambient occlusion on the cpu for some reason, and that that is the culprit?

Last edited:
Interesting that Richard says PS5 gives developers 6.5 cores where as XSX gives developers 7 cores.

That's new information to me.
I wonder how it that possible?

Maybe…

Game: 6 physical + 5 virtual
System: 2 physical + 3 virtual

So it counts as 6.5 cores? Or there is a way to say to a process to use only half of the GHz of a core?

Some little snippets from Alex' upcoming UE5 video.

Just wow. The differences at night between Hardware and Software Lumen are enormous.

I've also made similar observations with the CPU overhead when using HW-RT in UE5. The lower the resolution gets, the more the GPU gets underutilized. It's better with SW-Lumen, which makes sense as the BVH creation costs some CPU performance.
I wonder if some games will use RTXGI or similar to get more performace.

Sadly currently the marketplace version is meant for preview 2, so I couldn''t test it.

Interesting that Richard says PS5 gives developers 6.5 cores where as XSX gives developers 7 cores.

It could be done on a per-thread basis. PS5's CPU runs with SMT enabled always, so games could have 13 threads with the system having 3 threads. On Xbox Series, where SMT is optional, you couldn't split core resources between game and OS this way in non-SMT mode.

Since the PS3, Sony have been rather reserved in terms of, aha excuse the pun, the number of reserved hardware resources available to the OS. Sometimes dropping this over time where possible.

I wonder if some games will use RTXGI or similar to get more performace.

Sadly currently the marketplace version is meant for preview 2, so I couldn''t test it.

Yes RTXGI seems to be good and performant alternative.

But not many devs seem to know about it. IMO Epic should integrate these features straight into the engine. So any dev could just switch from Lumen to RTXGI in Project settings right from the get go. Same with upscaling such as DLSS/FSR2/XeSS.

Downloading plugins and integrating them into UE is extremly easy yes, but maybe there are still devs who don't know about these features, so integrating them as a standard might be benefitting. It's not like they add a ton of bloat, usually a couple of 100 MBs.

There's one downside to RTXGI tho, if I understand it correctly. It's still a probe based lighting system, so devs still have to place light probes around the scene. While Lumen handles every surface in UE5 automatically. That's certainly less time consuming.

Yes RTXGI seems to be good and performant alternative.

But not many devs seem to know about it. IMO Epic should integrate these features straight into the engine. So any dev could just switch from Lumen to RTXGI in Project settings right from the get go. Same with upscaling such as DLSS/FSR2/XeSS.

Downloading plugins and integrating them into UE is extremly easy yes, but maybe there are still devs who don't know about these features, so integrating them as a standard might be benefitting. It's not like they add a ton of bloat, usually a couple of 100 MBs.

There's one downside to RTXGI tho, if I understand it correctly. It's still a probe based lighting system, so devs still have to place light probes around the scene. While Lumen handles every surface in UE5 automatically. That's certainly less time consuming.
RTXGI has automatic probe placement with artistic control if needed.

New versions also has support for cascaded volumes, so it should be feasible to use in large open worlds.

Back