Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

It’s just such a monumental leap over what any other game/engine has done so far and it’s not any more performance intensive. We went from A to Z. There were no intermediary steps.

It’s just such a monumental leap over what any other game/engine has done so far and it’s not any more performance intensive. We went from A to Z. There were no intermediary steps.
Yup, this is a true paradigm shift. They don't come along too often and we're more used to seeing marginal, iterative improvements to environments and visuals which are driven by the advances to CPUs, GPUs and RAM availability.

The huge leaps so far had to come from multiple tech demo’s unfortunately, as is usually the case. As DF said we wont be seeing ue5 games with those gfx for a while to come.
Atleast we know what can be done with the still considerable and most important leaps in gpu tech as shown by ue5 demo’s.

yeah that engine is amazing and the true leap we hoped with this new gen, as there is 0% chances lumen + nanite + RT would work on last gen hardware at a playable state, so it's not just about lower res and anything to make it work, it won't.

Of course we've seen naysayers since the first day telling us the first demo was just a small controlled corridor non interactive demo, then we got a first glimpse with the demo released on PC, then the matrix demo fully playable even on XsS showing a massive cityscape more detailed than any other game released so far (just look at watch dogs legion), an unoptimized demo created in a few months with a smaller team. And then we have a damn F2P game, Ark Raiders, not even AAA, a real game, that looks just as amazing as those tech demos.

Now i also want to see haw far they can push graphics in VR with this engine.

yeah that engine is amazing and the true leap we hoped with this new gen, as there is 0% chances lumen + nanite + RT would work on last gen hardware at a playable state, so it's not just about lower res and anything to make it work, it won't.

Of course we've seen naysayers since the first day telling us the first demo was just a small controlled corridor non interactive demo, then we got a first glimpse with the demo released on PC, then the matrix demo fully playable even on XsS showing a massive cityscape more detailed than any other game released so far (just look at watch dogs legion), an unoptimized demo created in a few months with a smaller team. And then we have a damn F2P game, Ark Raiders, not even AAA, a real game, that looks just as amazing as those tech demos.

Now i also want to see haw far they can push graphics in VR with this engine.
Lumen and RT are understandable. They require the faster hardware of today. Nanite could be done on the hardware we have had for years and years now. Just odd that we saw no large advancements in geometry for nearly an entire decade prior to UE5.

yeah its like if they only brough lumel or nanite it would still be amazing, both both! (plus all the other smaller things)
Its a kick in the ass to me, Gotta get my game out ASAP cause its gonna look very dated very soon (not that it doesnt already)

Lumen and RT are understandable. They require the faster hardware of today. Nanite could be done on the hardware we have had for years and years now. Just odd that we saw no large advancements in geometry for nearly an entire decade prior to UE5.

Are you sure? Nanite relies on 64-bit atomics and presumably streams a lot of data. I don’t know how feasible it would be on older platforms. Would Nanite work under DX11?

Are you sure? Nanite relies on 64-bit atomics and presumably streams a lot of data. I don’t know how feasible it would be on older platforms. Would Nanite work under DX11?
If the reliance on 64-bit atomics is true (I trust that it is) then CUDA 1.1 is where it first became available on the NV side. In Windows DX it didn't show up until HLSL 6.6 in April of 2020, if I'm understanding the documentation correctly. And let's be clear: 64-bit atomics require some beefy hardware, the original CUDA 1.1 stuff is probably technically compatibile, I'm not sure how performant it might be.

If the reliance on 64-bit atomics is true (I trust that it is) then CUDA 1.1 is where it first became available on the NV side. In Windows DX it didn't show up until HLSL 6.6 in April of 2020, if I'm understanding the documentation correctly. And let's be clear: 64-bit atomics require some beefy hardware, the original CUDA 1.1 stuff is probably technically compatibile, I'm not sure how performant it might be.
64 bit atomics not being available in DX until 2020 would explain it. I wonder though if any parts of nanite would be possible on PS4, just scaled down a bit. Presumably GNM has supported anything the hardware is capable of from day one.

I hadn't even heard of this but yes that looks incredible. And F2P... I might just have to give it a try even though F2P is definitely not my thing.

It’s from the old Dice team, now at Embark.

Stuff like this is what I had been hoping for ever since D3D included support for tessellation hardware. Unfortunately, due to the difficulties in using tessellation well in games, it was never used much with most developers choosing to skip it.

Hopefully with Nanite, we'll finally be able to get dense geometry like this in games. While RT is impressive for lighting, I find Nanite significantly more impressive for world and asset geometry. Of course, the best of both worlds if they can be combined. And at least with UE5, it can use RT to some extent.

Regards,
SB

Why are some rocks near photorealistic and others look untextured? The demo would be a lot more impressive if all the rocks were properly textured.

Back