UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think he means that a lot of parts of the game are highly polished, so less polished things are really standing out, not like an average game where everything is "average".

For a global trotting and highly ambitious game like UC4 I'd say its completion level is more than acceptable. Sure you can find a few places not as well rendered as others but the majority of the game is very well presented in regard to its graphics specifically. Or you can argue that the game is is victim of its own brilliance, say the highs of UC4 is too high compared to its lows but the lows are not by any means unacceptable compared to an average game. It's entirely possible some areas received far more care than others, however to call it incomplete might come off as over critical perhaps?

Genuinely curious to know the list of what you consider "finished" games now :p
Uncharted 1. Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3. The Order. Heck most games if we're honest. They all have bugs and occasional shots where something's gone awry like a LOD fault, but they also all have the same uniform quality throughout. The issues with UC4 aren't bugs and one-offs but areas where QA must have recognised it wasn't up to standard but the game was released anyway. The devs themselves must have looked at radioactive rocks and said they want to do something about that but were denied.

BTW- I hate this thread. It takes a minute or three to load every time and the thing you're trying to read keeps jumping about as images are loaded and the page reformats.

I'm guessing you are either being too specific on features that look "off" or you don't have enough time to play most games nowadays.

Edit: I'm not saying it can't be improved upon, that is true for any game.

Last edited:
http://fr.depositphotos.com/17657869/stock-photo-stones-in-isalo.html

https://delaplain.wordpress.com/201...the-nearby-forest-to-find-ring-tailed-lemurs/

http://www.thinkstockphotos.fr/image/photo-red-rock-sunset-landscape-in-madagascar/499696466

http://www.thinkstockphotos.co.uk/image/stock-photo-sharp-red-rock-formation-in-madagascar/503992752

I don't understand what you are talking about radioactive rock into UC4 Madagascar... It is like this it is country of my parents and I go there sometimes. After it is stylised and the red colour pop more than in real life but it is linked to artstyle...

In many place rock are red and ground too...

I don't understand what you are talking about radioactive rock into UC4 Madagascar...
Rocks that are brighter on the underside than the top of the rock. That's a glitch in the lighting. There's quite a few areas where the lighting is not what it should be on specific elements. The fact they seem gravitated towrads the beginning of the game also has me thinking it an issue of time and being forced to get it out the door. It's better to focus on the end and leave a good impression than on the beginning and have the game fizzle out at it's more climactic.

Rocks that are brighter on the underside than the top of the rock. That's a glitch in the lighting. There's quite a few areas where the lighting is not what it should be on specific elements. The fact they seem gravitated towrads the beginning of the game also has me thinking it an issue of time and being forced to get it out the door. It's better to focus on the end and leave a good impression than on the beginning and have the game fizzle out at it's more climactic.

As someone who's finished the game two times already, i really don't know what the heck you are talking about. The most impressive areas of the game are towards the end, not the beginning. Yes there are flaws, as with any game. Tree/forest etc. We've had that discussion already.

Uncharted 1. Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3. The Order. Heck most games if we're honest. They all have bugs and occasional shots where something's gone awry like a LOD fault, but they also all have the same uniform quality throughout. The issues with UC4 aren't bugs and one-offs but areas where QA must have recognised it wasn't up to standard but the game was released anyway. The devs themselves must have looked at radioactive rocks and said they want to do something about that but were denied.

BTW- I hate this thread. It takes a minute or three to load every time and the thing you're trying to read keeps jumping about as images are loaded and the page reformats.
Same. I click "stop loading the page" button every time I visit this thread.

I blame @Clukos. Mainly :yep2:

Uncharted 1, 3...most games...finished
Try seriously playing UC1 game on PS3 now. The problem with UC4 is that this game is very uneven (graphically) and that maybe the first half is very slow. First half is OK to very good looking and quite slow, second half is very very good looking to incredible while very consistent and a lot of "Uncharted" action.

It's just that the second half of UC4 is too good compared to the beginning. But the first half is still better polished than the whole Uncharted 1 (that much screen tearing is not tolerable in a Uncharted game and the controls can be quite clunky too. Also remember when UC3 first released with very high input lag and they had to patch the controls?

But the first half is still better polished than the whole Uncharted 1 (that much screen tearing is not tolerable in a Uncharted game and the controls can be quite clunky too. Also remember when UC3 first released with very high input lag and they had to patch the controls?

Was it Uncharted 2 multiplayer where you couldn't aim diagonally at launch? Lol.

As someone who's finished the game two times already, i really don't know what the heck you are talking about.
The glitches/limits gravitate towards the beginning of the game. Dunno why that's hard to understand. You have a deadline. You have things you want to do that require more work than you can achieve by that deadline. You have to let some things go, so focus on polishing the second half of the game to leave a positive lasting impression, and let some obvious faults remain at the beginning because the bosses won't let you finish them up to the same quality.

It's just that the second half of UC4 is too good compared to the beginning. But the first half is still better polished than the whole Uncharted 1 (that much screen tearing is not tolerable in a Uncharted game and the controls can be quite clunky too. Also remember when UC3 first released with very high input lag and they had to patch the controls?
That's not content. Was there any area in UC1 where the lighting gave out and the characters were flat shaded? Or the scenery was a flat textured ground with some 2D trees billboarded on top? Or anything similar? I don't recall any graphical issues standing out in the other UCs. There were definitely 'faults' due to the hardware, but it was the same 'quality' throughout the whole campaign.

That's also what Shifty said.
And importantly I'm explaining it as a business choice driven by finances rather than a technical issue. Given more time and money, this sporadic visual shortcomings would have been polished up to the same quality as the rest of the game.

The take-home for this discussion is perhaps how one qualifies 'best' across a range of quality in a game. The take-home for developers is the sheer cost of content creation and a need to find better ways to do things that can solve rendering problems without needing expensive man-hours to tweak everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back