UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if we are to post 4k and promo screenshots from Battlefront we might as well post these as well (from a gaf user) not gameplay resolution of course, just showcasing asset quality and density (and possibly how the game would have looked on a beefy PC, or the next iteration of playstation and the eventual remastered version)

26368657854_ef74a0e8fc_o.png

5k 18 mb png
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7166/26368681174_d7eb8cd3ff_o.png

26368792393_0ca54cee9f_o.png

8k 59 mb png
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7797/26698428640_2c436ba7d0_o.png

Last edited:
No need to be defensive, I was complimenting the LOD system and particularly it's detail at the highest levels, it looks amazing. That said, extreme close ups of characters faces are not representative of what you'll see at a normal playing distance from those characters as shown by my earlier shot.

I'm not defensive, but to me it's like saying water is wet... i don't get the point... indeed, you will see more details in a close up... and ?

9USItSR.jpg

Is this means something special to you ?

Also, it's still much better than the adaptive tessellation seen in Battlefront.

I'm not defensive, but to me it's like saying water is wet... i don't get the point... indeed, you will see more details in a close up... and ?

And... you posted a comparison shot of an extreme close up of a character model from UC4 vs normal gameplay distance from The Order. Thus implying that you would get that level of quality at normal gameplay distance from UC4 as well. I'm pointing out that you won't, you've already agreed the comparison wasn't fair, we seem to be in agreement. What's the problem?

p.s. Tessellation is actually another area I'd say BF does better in, I hadn't considered that earlier.

24578399652_b82fe8c1c3_o.png

bER9uXe.jpg

KjvTSvf.jpg

StarWars_Battlefront_BETA_EarlyAccess_PCGH_038-pcgh.jpg

And... you posted a comparison shot of an extreme close up of a character model from UC4 vs normal gameplay distance from The Order. Thus implying that you would get that level of quality at normal gameplay distance from UC4 as well. I'm pointing out that you won't, you've already agreed the comparison wasn't fair, we seem to be in agreement. What's the problem?

But the difference should not be huge anyway. Your gameplay screenshot is from a compressed Youtube video... hardly a better comparison.

And indeed, the main issue was the bad quality of the order screenshot as you said yourself in your first answer : "This is not me commenting about which one looks better, but you just compared a direct feed cutscene shot to an offscreen (or very low quality feed) gameplay shot. Hardly fair.There is definitely a quality transition between the character models in UC4's cut scenes compared with it's gameplay."

Thus implying that you would get that level of quality at normal gameplay distance from UC4 as well.

"Hmm, I'm afraid I'm struggling with that one. I found a walkthrough video of where that scene presumably takes place and while it's low quality YT and the motion blur makes it difficult to take a clear screenshot, I'm not seeing that level of detail in the gameplay"

You did this, not me.

Last edited:
Me too, the Scotland level opening made me immediately think of HZD, also made me think that HZD looked a bit too garish compared to this.
Maybe it was the color palette and higher contrasts tha made Horizon look a bit too grainy and aliased.

More from Scotland, all gameplay
26988808925_8a7b711096_o.png

26384721773_b4cba650ab_o.png

26715104690_29e090072a_o.png

26384694563_46692fa277_o.png

26920303261_01418d415f_o.png

26894369682_8bebbfe68f_o.png

Nice detail with his fingers here (no clipping at all)
26988764235_9e8994726d_o.png

They came really close to the E3 2014 reveal during cutscenes (the reveal was a cutscene too)
26715059610_da61970820_o.png

26384657113_c2fe087bc5_o.png

Some areas that could be improved on the Neo, maybe:
  • Instead of using pom everywhere, switch to tessellation for close distance geometry (like 5-10 meters) something like Battlefront but farther away then after the 5-10 meters swap to the pom or whatever they use here to fake extra geometry
  • Tessellation for character silhouettes
That's assuming the Neo will be using Polaris and that Polaris is any good at tessellation. And that ND want to spend resources on adding something like that. The reveal trailer clearly had tessellation at least for character silhouette(or stupidly high poly count), if that was indeed in-engine then it should be a feature they can enable at any given moment if the hardware is up for it.

Last edited:
Anyone looking to check how much geometry is being pushed, there is a little trick once you finish the game. Set the filter to Tricolour and you can see the triangles flat shaded. just move around to see how intricate (or not) something it. It also shows quite well the adaptive LOD in place. I did that in the ballroom scene and it's very impressive how seamlessly the geometry gets added to the NPCs. The game in unplayable like that but it's nice to go back and forth and see what is actually geometry in the game and what is not.

Anyone looking to check how much geometry is being pushed, there is a little trick once you finish the game. Set the filter to Tricolour and you can see the triangles flat shaded. just move around to see how intricate (or not) something it. It also shows quite well the adaptive LOD in place. I did that in the ballroom scene and it's very impressive how seamlessly the geometry gets added to the NPCs. The game in unplayable like that but it's nice to go back and forth and see what is actually geometry in the game and what is not.

Nice! Will definitely check that out :)

Edit: Here's three filters (all gameplay captures again)

Tri-color
nsbmg46.png

Ascii
cFwLEoa.png

Cel-shaded
5486RQD.png

Looking at the tri-color looks like what i though about evenly distributed geometry is pretty much on point, expected the distant mountains to be more flat to be honest.

Last edited:
Tri-color is very impressive. As you move the camera, you can see the individual triangles coming in and out of shading and it's all very impressive. In the cutscenes, the faces show insane amounts of geometry. Nadine especially, with all that hair. Amazing.

So I'm up to Chapter
, can this game get any more beautiful, seriously can it:oops:? I don't think it can.
dodSTs.png

GVmTYm.png

zAoVeV.png

Just when I thought Chap 10-11 were amazing.

Played that level ins Scotland in the cave.

What extremely bothers me is the motion blur. I get a headache and it makes me nauseous. Especially when Drake swings with the rope it was extremely bad. It is very strong and makes everything muddy. For people with an LCD (without blinking backlight) it might perhaps not be as disruptive. But I find this very annoying with the 100 % motion sharpness of my 65 inch plasma TV.

Graphically I would not call this level reference or so. I enjoyed the next level (Madagascar) much more.

The cutscenes are very impressive indeed. But the aircraft had very low resolution textures from outside.

I like the game itself very much but the motion blur is nothing I could endure more than a few hours. Hopefully there will be an option.

Played that level ins Scotland in the cave.

What extremely bothers me is the motion blur. I get a headache and it makes me nauseous. Especially when Drake swings with the rope it was extremely bad. It is very strong and makes everything muddy. For people with an LCD (without blinking backlight) it might perhaps not be as disruptive. But I find this very annoying with the 100 % motion sharpness of my 65 inch plasma TV.

Graphically I would not call this level reference or so. I enjoyed the next level (Madagascar) much more.

The cutscenes are very impressive indeed. But the aircraft had very low resolution textures from outside.

I like the game itself very much but the motion blur is nothing I could endure more than a few hours. Hopefully there will be an option.
Hi Jupiter, I also have a big plasma and initially I started the game with the motion interpolation left on by mistake, and Uncharted was just painful to play.

So if it's on, turn it off. The motion blur is still there but much, much more bearable without the TV messing with the image even further.

Just a suggestion :)

Haha. Zero chance. But don't worry. It is meant to be played very blurry in motion on old 30fps screens. Like every good movies (the game has also some film grain to further enhance the experience).

No need for expensive motion interpolation tech and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back