UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure gameplay or transition between cutscene and gameplay? i.e. are you in control of the character at the exact moment the shot was taken or are you about to take control of him (i.e. when cutscene quality can still apply)? It's a very strange angle if that's a true gameplay shot. Also, photo mode does sharpen the image which will help too.

100% gameplay.

Hmm, I'm afraid I'm struggling with that one. I found a walkthrough video of where that scene presumably takes place and while it's low quality YT and the motion blur makes it difficult to take a clear screenshot, I'm not seeing that level of detail in the gameplay:

Uncharted 4 :

uncharted4_athiefsend6ksic.png

The Order :

Orden_-1886_20150220012920.jpg

Also, i don't agree with you on the other points except for the shadows/PBR.

Which is nothing more than their engine pushed to the max... as do other games, so i don't get your point.

I'm not sure why PS4 fans love to use in-game cutscenes to represent what the game engine can do for gameplay. You just compared a cutscene to an actual in-gameplay screenshot. Why?

Yes, cutscenes are in realtime but there is a significant difference when the game is rendering while the user has control. Which is the very reason for renaming this thread. The NPCs in UC4 don't look anywhere near as good as The Order's NPCs. Granted, The Order is continuously controlling the camera in a lot of scenes, but even if you look at a dead guard, he has more detail than a dead solider in UC4.

Yeah it's from gameplay... i already said it.

Moreover, it's a very bad example since Nathan himself doesn't look any better than the black NPC in his screenshot...

Personally I think that the jungle levels alone look way better than anything The order has produced. I've never seen such clean IQ even in the smallest details, no shimmering, nothing. While at the same time pushing all that humongous amount of very varied foliage, in a level that keeps going and going. Huge!

There is a lot of foliage but upon closer inspection, it falls way short of detailed foliage like in Battlefront, QB, or Ryse (on PC). In fact, if you move up close to the foliage, you'll see the low res textures blurred out with no real lighting information in them. From a distance though, I agree. It's a nice artistic look.

Did you find a single cutscene with this NPC ?

If this isn't specifically from a cutscene and character models are not upgraded from gameplay quality during photo mode, then UC4 has some truly spectacular LOD transition for faces. However, that being the case then the original comparison to The Order is disingenuous since you're comparing a very close up shot (where LOD is at it's highest) of UC4 to a medium distance shot of TO. The shot I posted above is more comparable.

It would be interesting to see you record a video of this scene showing the camera panning across this characters face at this distance during gameplay (not photomode).

There is a lot of foliage but upon closer inspection, it falls way short of detailed foliage like in Battlefront, QB, or Ryse (on PC). In fact, if you move up close to the foliage, you'll see the low res textures blurred out with no real lighting information in them. From a distance though, I agree. It's a nice artistic look.

I dont know how detailed the textures of the plants etc. are in Uncharted 4. But in Battlefront they have a very high fidelity. You can zoom into them very close with a gun and they are still very sharp. Even better than in Ryse (I have both games on PC). And Battlefront is a 40 player online game. Pop ups are not a problem on PC as long as you are not playing on a desert map. The CPU sleeps when this game is played (60fps cap).

EDIT:
Even with 1,2Ghz you get 60fps with an i7-5820K. on maxed out settings and 40 players.

Last edited:
Late-game environment spoilers, some screenshots from a gameplay area in Uncharted 4 for those who finished the game or don't care open up
26971648155_571197efea_o.png
26971637625_223c148420_o.png
26367447953_4e80085ba1_o.png
26366146414_13080d769d_o.png
26366129964_21a04b004c_o.png
26877333172_d15ab37cde_o.png
26877313962_c15569fe25_o.png
26367400563_a9e86a2f80_o.png

This is a fully playable area, all gameplay. You can either look it up on youtube if you want to refute a point about a game you haven't played or wait till it shows up on your screen (i highly advice you to, that's why the spoiler-tag-ception).

If this isn't specifically from a cutscene and character models are not upgraded from gameplay quality during photo mode, then UC4 has some truly spectacular LOD transition for faces. However, that being the case then the original comparison to The Order is disingenuous since you're comparing a very close up shot (where LOD is at it's highest) of UC4 to a medium distance shot of TO. The shot I posted above is more comparable.

It would be interesting to see you record a video of this scene showing the camera panning across this characters face at this distance during gameplay (not photomode).

There is no difference between gameplay/photo mode other than a sharpening filter (that you can disable)... but i do agree with you on my comparison with The Order. It may not be the best comparison.

Having finished the game i'll just say it's amusing to me that The Order is even being compared to this. The Order looks great, it looks amazing at times, it was my favorite looking game for 2015 (i played all "contenders" on PC as well before you jump on me). It's not hyperbole to say that it has nothing on this.

Having finished the game i'll just say it's amusing to me that The Order is even being compared to this. The Order looks great, it looks amazing at times, it was my favorite looking game for 2015 (i played all "contenders" on PC as well before you jump on me). It's not hyperbole to say that it has nothing on this.
No comparison.

Maybe The Order might do some individual effects here and there better, but as a whole package of graphical features all blended together to such incredible consistent results? No comparison.

As for the foliage, the one thing Battlefront doesn't have over Uncharted 4 and it's a big deal breaker is the shading. Foliage in Battlefront basically looks like foliage shaped cardboard, like this for example:

1aL7DjF.jpg

Most foliage in Uncharted 4 (i might be missing something hypothetically that's why i say most, i haven't seen a case where this isn't the case) casts individual shadows and is fully translucent
uncharted4_athiefsend3uuc9.png

Battlefront is actually faking some translucency but it's nowhere near U4 technically. That is understandable given how BF is aiming for 60fps, oh and the occlusion technique isn't comparable, BF is using a typical SSAO (which is missing from most small scale foliage as well) even in the PC version. Then if you want to take into account the variance, Uncharted 4 has more types of foliage (different locals). It's not close. It's understandable if you prefer one or the other for stylistic reasons, there's no two ways about it, Battlefront looks more realistic while Uncharted 4 has a more stylized/vibrant look to it(different intended look, art direction etc.).

Last edited:
Man, these screenshots are NOT representative of the game when it's in motion. UC4 has a LOT of aliasing due to the 1080p nature and yet, a screenshot won't capture the jaggies anywhere near what it is when playing. ALL of the foilage I've seen that moves is aliased. Not only that, there are only certain levels that have destructible objects -- again emphasizing a lot of baked lighting.

All a person needs is a few Chapters in UC4 to determine what the engine can/can't do. It doesn't take you to see the entire game. The tricks they use will be used across the entire game. I never heard of using screen-space light shafts on one level and then using full volumetric ray-marching light shafts on another level. There is no such thing has making anisotropic filtering 16x on one level, but 4x on another level (the texture clarity at a certain distance is horrible in pretty much every PS4 game).

You guys mention the apartment of Nate. I saw it and it looks great, but it still looks like a videogame. Contrast that with The Order's first room when he starts out and while everything is baked, it looks way more photoreal and reminiscent of a natural offline rendered image.

Lots of hyperbole in this thread for sure.

As for foliage, the one thing Battlefront doesn't have over Uncharted 4 and it's a big deal breaker is the shading. Foliage in Battlefront basically looks like foliage shaped cardboard, like this for example

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

rendition1.img.jpg

17-X5rNRNd.png

featuredImage.img.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back