UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albeit not perfect, the SSR produces less instabilities than most free-camera games that use similar techniques. When major dynamic objects (characters) leave the screen, the capsule occlusion sticks around keep the transition from sticking out as badly as it normally does; and the fallback cubemaps are pretty good on a large scale and for rectangular rooms.

They're also using planar reflections on a couple surfaces... But there are a few vampire objects in the bathrooms! :D

Albeit not perfect, the SSR produces less instabilities than most free-camera games that use similar techniques. When major dynamic objects (characters) leave the screen, the capsule occlusion sticks around keep the transition from sticking out as badly as it normally does; and the fallback cubemaps are pretty good on a large scale and for rectangular rooms.

They're also using planar reflections on a couple surfaces... But there are a few vampire objects in the bathrooms! :D

Yea, they do a good job with the fallback and dealing with the SSR, although I still prefer dynamic all the way.. :D

Disagree London. :)

I still rank The Order over this game (both artistically and technically). I haven't seen the multiplats on PS4 to judge those though.

It would be interesting to know your arguments.

I mean why a sub-hd linear game with static environements and with a much lower budget is technically more impressive than Uncharted 4.

Not to mention that RAD is a small studio that almost never made any console game before The Order.

Don't get me wrong though, The Order is really impressive... but come on...

About the volumetric lights (12min21) :

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know your arguments.

I mean why a sub-hd linear game with static environements and with a much lower budget is technically more impressive than Uncharted 4.

Not to mention that RAD is a small studio that almost never made any console game before The Order.

Don't get me wrong though, The Order is really impressive... but come on...

The Order has better materials, higher detailed NPCs, higher res textures/shadow maps, extremely well done AA, and I love the soft shadows from the flashlight (instead of the projective shadows).

Cutscenes in Uncharted 4 are the best I've seen on any platform though.

About the volumetric lights (12min21) :

It's not true ray-marched volume lighting. Ask some gaming developers or read a paper on it.

The Order has better materials, higher detailed NPCs, higher res textures/shadow maps, extremely well done AA, and I love the soft shadows from the flashlight (instead of the projective shadows).

Uncharted 4 :

uncharted4_athiefsend6ksic.png

The Order :

Orden_-1886_20150220012920.jpg

Also, i don't agree with you on the other points except for the shadows/PBR.

Which is nothing more than their engine pushed to the max... as do other games, so i don't get your point.

This is what happens when the ND's engine hasn't to handle an advanced physics, large and dynamic environments, an advanced AI, etc.

Anyway, what is the best looking console game to you ? The most technically impressive console game ?

I'm that type of guy that walks into every volumetric shaft he spots to see if they cast dynamic shadows, if they stay lresent when the source is outside the screen etc. Most shafta in UC4 are indeed of the dynamic raymarched type. Just like the ones in KSF, which guerrilla talked about in detail on their something-dragons presentation. TLOU also had ray marched volumetrics in both ps4 and ps3. ND first used them in U3. Alan wake also did that first on xbox 360. There were some other games on ps360 era that did that too. It's become more feaseble this gen of course. QB also has them, albeit in terribly low resolution.
Lords o Fallen is the only real time implementation to support colored translucency though. Or at least i rember it suporting that... There are public slides of their engine too.

It's not true ray-marched volume lighting. Ask some gaming developers or read a paper on it.
UC4's materials are more stylized but they are good in their own way, in fact they're toe to toe with The Order's shader complexity, just check Drake's house interior. Textures are about the same quality, UC4 might have a better streaming system tho in order to cater for a much larger world. Shadow res might be higher in The Order yes. I've also noticed soft shadows cast from Sam's lighter.
JT756X.png
The Order still has that extremely strong CGI esque look but UC4 also does the same except in a more colorful and vibrant way, yet manages to pump out much more world details and more open routes at the same time, that's what makes me put it above The Order graphically.

Personally I think that the jungle levels alone look way better than anything The order has produced. I've never seen such clean IQ even in the smallest details, no shimmering, nothing. While at the same time pushing all that humongous amount of very varied foliage, in a level that keeps going and going. Huge!

Yep, the levels are loaded with foliage, details and objects. It is quite good for the open space parts. But in closer, smaller levels...the massive amount on screen helps immersion so much imo.

My only other experience with this kind of look has been Far Cry 4 and Primal, which as you might remember I was raving about when they came out. UC4 looks like ND just spent double of whatever budget Far Cry 4 had, but only on one level of the game. Well, we could call it 'area' instead of level as it is just humongous.

Uncharted 4 :

The Order :

Also, i don't agree with you on the other points except for the shadows/PBR.

Which is nothing more than their engine pushed to the max... as do other games, so i don't get your point.

This is not me commenting about which one looks better, but you just compared a direct feed cutscene shot to an offscreen (or very low quality feed) gameplay shot. Hardly fair. There is definitely a quality transition between the character models in UC4's cut scenes compared with it's gameplay.

Just so that I don't upset people too much though, I will offer my personal opinion that yes, UC4 does appear to have the best character models from any game I've ever seen, both in cutscene and out. I haven't yet had much exposure to QB though which also looks very impressive from what I have seen.

This is not me commenting about which one looks better, but you just compared a direct feed cutscene shot to an offscreen (or very low quality feed) gameplay shot. Hardly fair. There is definitely a quality transition between the character models in UC4's cut scenes compared with it's gameplay.

Just so that I don't upset people too much though, I will offer my personal opinion that yes, UC4 does appear to have the best character models from any game I've ever seen, both in cutscene and out. I haven't yet had much exposure to QB though which also looks very impressive from what I have seen.

This is not from a cutscene... it's a random NPC taken with the photo mode during gameplay. But indeed, the Order's pic might not be of the best quality.

This is not from a cutscene... it's a random NPC taken with the photo mode during gameplay. But indeed, the Order's pic might not be of the best quality.

Pure gameplay or transition between cutscene and gameplay? i.e. are you in control of the character at the exact moment the shot was taken or are you about to take control of him (i.e. when cutscene quality can still apply)? It's a very strange angle if that's a true gameplay shot. Also, photo mode does sharpen the image which will help too.

The things I've seen... I like how they open up the camera view and the draw distance is just insane. We're all used to games having distracting pop-ins due to close range lod swaps (which happen on U4 too, just less distracting) and then comes this game and shows what the hardware (however powerful - or not - that may be) is capable of. There are some scenes where your jaw will drop to the floor just from the amount of things rendered on screen. These scenes that i'm talking about make this sequence from Uncharted 2:

Look like a joke (it's still impressive but you get my point). This is what ND have done with Uncharted 2 at the time as well, they just show everyone else (including developers) what the hardware is actually capable of. You can take that as a hyperbole or however you want, i truly think this is the best technical showcase on Ps4 by far. And i do agree with London-boy, it's not even close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back