The real battle isn't DS vs. PSP...

PC-Engine said:
PSP owners will not be carrying their PSPs with them every day or every other day for that matter so what ever non gaming functions it has will not be used often. If it's not used often then it won't be embraced. Very simple really. People use iPods and small flash MP3 players often, that's why they don't mind carrying it with them often.
Actually, most people I know don't carry their iPods around with them often either. (And I don't see the telltale headphones on others either.) Most people seem to listen to them in their cars, leave them in a backpack, etc. I carry my Shuffle around with me--it's as convenient as they come as far as a portable player goes--but I still leave it in the car often enough, don't take it into the office, don't want to deal with the cord tangle everywhere I go... And it's the first portable MP3 player I've had, and I've had it for a month!

The excitement and desire to bother with any entertainment device--even highly convenient ones--eventually wears down. There's a good chance, though, that the same places you'd find iPod (in their car, in a briefcase, in a backpack, etc) are the same places you'd find their GBA, DS, or PSP. So what we're really talking about are those who are actively looking to carry their portable entertainment with them... and under that category falls music playing, game playing, and whatever else.

How to get it intrinsic EVERYWHERE is to link it to necessary devices. The cell phone is the #1 contender for that, as people will leave without their entertainment, but feel abandoned without their communication. (When they start sticking them in reasonably well into other devices like watches, or can slip inside a wallet or are rugged enough to hang on a keychain... Those are harder, though. The cell phone has most of the parts built in, is treated better, and is of reasonable size and great convenience.)

There are, of course, other possibilities. In MP3 players' case, it's getting rid of that damn wire. Just as soon as wireless earpieces can be included cheaply and easily with players, it will break down more convenience barriers and be much more widespread--as the "no muss, no fuss" level gets much improved. But for the moment, I seem to be the one most likely to be wearing a headset--to use the cell phone or to listen to music--out and about than others. Even MP3 playing--popular though it is--has not broken through certain social barriers.

You actually think that if DVD players were smaller people would carry them more often to watch movies more often?
No, I think that people wouldn't watch movies on the go like that because movie-watching is not a common thing to care about that much, nor an easy thing to fit into an on-the-go lifestyle. And, if you recall, there's a reason why I specifically avoided calling it that in regards to the PSP.

I do, however, know that people embrace the visual even more than the auditory, which is why they carry pictures of their loved ones around with them, take pictures of events to remember them by, discuss television around the water-cooler rather than sing songs, are much more easily fixated by something they see...

People WANT something that can carry "their visual life" around with them, and they enjoy seeing it of others' as well. How else would the built-in camera phones be taking off, except that it lets you record and present your life on the fly, with no added hassle? Now indeed the PSP cannot match that convenience, but neither can the iPod or other devices, but among those who are carrying an entertainment device around with them for one reason or another... the PSP is a good catch-all. A portable DVD player would never be bothered with, but a popular gaming machine that can carry photos around with you, music to listen to, random things to watch, show to friends and enjoy, and also has the capability to play movies...? Why yes--fool that I am--I do actually think a device like that might enhance the possibility that people would carry a machine around with them on the go that could let them watch movies. But more importantly, it lets them do a whole lot MORE otherwise as well.

It ain't gonna change the world, because nothing like that yet HAS. The cell phone carries much more impact all by itself, and for that reason we see it being used as the device of choice to try to wrap these other features in. The GBA has sold how many units in its lifespan? Upwards of 70 million in four years? iPods have only breached 10 million sales a few months ago, but it's still considered an icon. Meanwhile, cell phones sold some 500+ million last year alone. We are certainly NOT talking about the same thing--but we also don't HAVE to be.

We see plenty of devices that are hugely popular, change the market landscape, but are never precisely earth-shattering. Would the world we live in be the same without the Walkman? I daresay it would, but the portable audio market would certainly have grown up differently. Devices of a type show their importance relative to each other, and encompass and perhaps expand the market they're in, and can be wildly popular and profitable where they sit, and yet not change much at all. Lifestyles may be slow and hard to change, but changing the acceptance and prevalence of certain things within the entertainment market...? Not so much.

Will the PSP be the device to do it? <shrugs> It stands a good chance of opening the door even if not, and if there's enough people there waiting for said door to open, it will be carried along. And yes, it WOULD carry along other oft-ignorred (or "too expensive to be embraced otherwise" or...) features along with. We still won't see people whipping it out at every street corner to watch something, but if THAT is the measure of success then we have an awful lot of failures on the market.

it would have been nice the psp incorporated a nice 3mpixel camera with it so you take pictures, film some stuff and playback directly on his big wide screeen ... droool

...and the other device is much larger and not precisely "cheaper" either. MP3 playing has already taken off, and the PSP won't "replace" any of that. ...but it will with reasonable likelihood make PSP owners not worry so much about getting one (or a new one)--certainly one that's flash-based--if the PSP they carry around ANYWAY can play things just fine.

Its not that cut and dry .

5' inch portable dvd player 100-150$ yes its bigger , but it will play your existing library of movies . In some ways its bulk helps out , like in a car , it being big will let it stay stable in your lap. I dunno if you've tried this yet but watch a movie on the psp holding it , you will be constantly pausing it or constantly moving your hands and ruining your movie experiance. The psp has 1 case (extra money mind you) that lets it rest at a nice angle so you can watch it in your lap or on a desk . Do not try using this in a car .... trust me i have a black and blue to prove it haha

The psp on the other hand is 250$ off the bat .You have two options . Umd movies which are around 30$ right now each. So your fav movies you have to buy again and you wont be able to watch them on your home system .

The other are memory cards . But for a 1 gig memory card here in the states you will spend 150$ . That will hold about 1 movie correct ? So your spending 400$ to watch movies and then you have to spend the time to convert it and rip it from a dvd to go on your memory stick.

The psp has a lot of good things . ITs screen is nice , the graphics are nice .

IT also has alot of cons battery life , high cost .

Then it has useless features that will be used once in a blue moon. mp3 play back , movie play back .

With the ds its the same thing

Pros , Battery life , touch screen for games , gba compatability .

Con , graphics are not the best , both screens are small

Useless features , video play back , music play back .... jury is still out on pda functions though it may be usefull to the target age group

hey69 said:
it would have been nice the psp incorporated a nice 3mpixel camera with it so you take pictures, film some stuff and playback directly on his big wide screeen ... droool

Yes it would be nice, but as an attachment I think not. The Olympus mrobe 500 is basically everything except a gaming machine and cellphone. Adding more stuff to a PSP will just make it more expensive than it already is. Still I think most people would carry around a small camera than lug around a PSP to take pictures. Same reason why most people wouldn't want to lug around a PSP to listen to MP3s.

i think they overdone the screen. instead of a 4.3 inch screen they could v used a 3.3 inch screen to size down the machine a litle

hey69 said:
i think they overdone the screen. instead of a 4.3 inch screen they could v used a 3.3 inch screen to size down the machine a litle

Maybe not so much if the components in the PSP require the amount of space they currently have.

There is a lot of smart comments on this thread and then of course their is a lot a dumb comments. To say a very few people will use the PSP as a movie player or MP3 player is crazy. There is more people in this thread alone who will use it for that than people arguing against it.

And like the person said before it will also have a GPS available, it will have a attachable digital camera, cellphone like features, ability to watch movies, have the ability to listen to MP3s, you will be able to access the internet, email, some word processer and spreadsheets capabilites, and be able to access a home network to watch normal tv shows from your house. And all of this is in one device. Why would the people want to buy this. :)
________
Toyota Probox Specifications

Last edited by a moderator:
Then it has useless features that will be used once in a blue moon. mp3 play back , movie play back
Hypothetically - if the machine came with a HDD, would you still argue that these features will be used once in a blue moon?
Just wondering if you're arguing against portable multimedia in general, or just based on available storage mediums.

has anyone benchmarked psp battery life when playing back movies and music (either from the umd or mstick)? seriously, one of the resons why i use my dedicated mp3 player instead of my pda or ngage for music is because it gets substantialy longer battery life.

I have been watching movie videos that I recorded from BET and MTV2 and the battery has easily lasted me over 4 hours. And the battery still hasn't died yet. Yes I'm playing them off of a memory stick of course.
________
Jaguar s-type

mckmas8808 said:
There is a lot of smart comments on this thread and then of course their is a lot a dumb comments. To say a very few people will use the PSP as a movie player or MP3 player is crazy. There is more people in this thread alone who will use it for that than people arguing against it.

And like the person said before it will also have a GPS available, it will have a attachable digital camera, cellphone like features, ability to watch movies, have the ability to listen to MP3s, you will be able to access the internet, email, some word processer and spreadsheets capabilites, and be able to access a home network to watch normal tv shows from your house. And all of this is in one device. Why would the people want to buy this. :)

Most people aren't interested in playing McGuyver just to show off how many things their gadget can do with 10 billion attachments. :LOL:

has anyone benchmarked psp battery life when playing back movies and music (either from the umd or mstick)? seriously, one of the resons why i use my dedicated mp3 player instead of my pda or ngage for music is because it gets substantialy longer battery life.
I've run some tests awhile back on UMD movie playback, from what I remember the minimum was a bit over hours (IIRC ~4'10), with max brightness setting., a bit over 5h on min brightness.
Memstick should be higher, but I don't really remember by how much right now.

I'm also not sure just how battery-optimized any of the playback utilities are at the moment. MP3s could probably run quite comfortably at less then 100Mhz, and Atrac even lower(being hw decoded), but I have a sneaking suspicion current system tools are running stuff on default clock speed.
I guess I'll have to test that one of these days too...

Most people aren't interested in playing McGuyver just to show off how many things their gadget can do with 10 billion attachments

PC how do you know. If it was possible for you to watch TV on your PSP through the internet connected to your home network I know you would do it. This would be made possible without attachments, yet through some firmware upgrade.

Imagine a guy having to work on night shift from 8 pm to 5 am and him having to miss Game 7 in the World Series between the Yankees and the Red Sox. Well with the PSP you will be able to do this. You will not have to miss the game anymore. Isn't that great!! :D
________
Vapir oxygen

Yes there is nothing more than wanting to watch game 7 of the world series on a 4 inch screen. For that i would bring in a tv. NOw season finale of 24 or something and it be doable .

There is more people in this thread alone who will use it for that than people arguing against it.
Yes in this thread being the key phrase . Do you think a casual user is going to buy more than a movie or two once they concluded hey 30$ and i can't play this on anything but a 4 inch screen , i will go buy it for 15$ and watch it on all my tvs . Or let me encoded this anime or download it so i can watch it on my 4 inch screen. Trust me i've tried it , reading subtitles on a 4 inch screen gives you a huge head ache.

And like the person said before it will also have a GPS available, it will have a attachable digital camera, cellphone like features,
which all costs more and more money . For 25$ i can get a nice cell phone with a gps in and a digital camera with actual cellphone features .

word processer and spreadsheets capabilites,
which let me guess you need to buy the software and then a special key board to use these features , which would be a pain in the ass to do on a 4 inch screen.

and be able to access a home network to watch normal tv shows from your house
why would i watch tv on a psps when i can watch it on a tv or monitor ? both are surely much much bigger than the 4inch screen.

Not only this but my cell phone is important to me . I expect it to allways have a charge . Now with a psp as my cell phone not only is it extremely big , but everything else i do with it will drain the battery. So while it sounds really great what happens when you need to make a phone call but because you played metal gear for 3 hours then watched dragon ball z eps and did your taxes and the battery is dead ?

Yes there is nothing more than wanting to watch game 7 of the world series on a 4 inch screen

Ok I can feel the sarcasim here, but once you see the 4.3 inch screen in person it look bigger than it really is. 5 people have seen my PSP at work and all of them talk about how great the clarity is and also say the lcd screen is really pretty.

Do you think a casual user is going to buy more than a movie or two once they concluded hey 30$ and i can't play this on anything but a 4 inch screen

Ok go here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/31YUOW5QZWWM0/103-8451293-3981412 movies are now $14 to $20 not 30.

why would i watch tv on a psps when i can watch it on a tv or monitor ? both are surely much much bigger than the 4inch screen.

This is when you are not around a big monitor. If you were in a restaunt you could just place the psp beside you and watch "24". Like I said the screen is pruuuty.

So while it sounds really great what happens when you need to make a phone call but because you played metal gear for 3 hours then watched dragon ball z eps and did your taxes and the battery is dead ?

Hey check this out.
theaterpspcase.jpg

It extends the psp battery life by 200%. That means watching movies off of the UMD will last 7.5 hours, playing Ridge Racers will last 15 hours, and listening to MP3s will last 24 hours. And it enhances the stereo sound and obviously holds your PSP up while watching a movie. Great huh jvd!!! :D

You got to love third parties!!
________
PENNY STOCKS TO BUY

Ok I can feel the sarcasim here, but once you see the 4.3 inch screen in person it look bigger than it really is. 5 people have seen my PSP at work and all of them talk about how great the clarity is and also say the lcd screen is really pretty.
heh , i have 3 of them on my desk , which should i look at for it to seem bigger than it really is ?

How about after shipping ? At my gamestop those movies are all at least 25$ .

This is when you are not around a big monitor. If you were in a restaunt you could just place the psp beside you and watch "24". Like I said the screen is pruuuty.
If i'm in a resturant i want to eat not watch 24 . Unless i go by myself but i have friends that would like to talk while eating not all trying to huddle around a 4 inch screen .

As for that thing yes we have them in store . I wouldn't pick it up as it looks kinda crappy and is also 70$

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801974

That thing that extends the PSP's battery life isn't an extender, it's a mobile recharger. Even if you have it charging while the PSP is playing, you'll most likely have to turn the PSP off a few times as I imagine the battery drains faster than that thing charges.

Fox5 said:
That thing that extends the PSP's battery life isn't an extender, it's a mobile recharger. Even if you have it charging while the PSP is playing, you'll most likely have to turn the PSP off a few times as I imagine the battery drains faster than that thing charges.

It's not normally like that, on all electric devices i've had in my life at least.

london-boy said:
Fox5 said:

It's not normally like that, on all electric devices i've had in my life at least.

Now that I think about it, you're right, I think the only device I've ever had that drained faster than it charged was the sega game gear.

Fafalada said:
Then it has useless features that will be used once in a blue moon. mp3 play back , movie play back
Hypothetically - if the machine came with a HDD, would you still argue that these features will be used once in a blue moon?
Just wondering if you're arguing against portable multimedia in general, or just based on available storage mediums.

when is psp-hd coming? spill the bean falafala!

things i want improve in psp-hd rev.2, probably by end 2005 in japan, pricing probably premiumer so...

-at least 4gb hdd, portables this day age need storage, cheap
-av in/out, yes u are happy bring psp on vacation, but wont it be happier if u can use the big tv at your resort home to watch movies?
-good user friendly software/encoder included, real funny sony tout so-and so playback but leave users scratching how to use them
-multi format support well they alraedy open up to mp3. at least divx needed.
-memory sticks fall in price, is ms expensive because of manufacture or some exclusive elusive pricing agrement anyway?
-better user support and quality, usa launch has been hit with quirky units and tons of dead pixile complaints! and sony still no direct word on they will handle such problems
-cheaper games, usd25-35. cheaper umd movies, usd15-25, think their initial pricing is mis-researched. handheld games please sony, not home games.

Back