The importance of UMD to PSP and its future *spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
UMPCs cost more than PSP mainly because they're not subsidized by first party software and third party license fees, they're produced in low volume, and they carry a much more advanced screen, not because their processors and RAM are all that more expensive, especially now with Intel moving to a SoC platform approach for the portable and consumer electronic markets.

PSP is NOT sold at a loss.

It's still subsidized and doesn't require anywhere near the profit margin of a UMPC in order to be good business.

I didn't say it was in error. I just said I didn't agree to the statement you said I did.
Though I literally couldn't make it through the first level of Halo 2 before it crashed.

As a counter anecdote, I've played quite a lot of Halo 2 and had no problems save for some frame rate drops. The AA is a nice touch.

I've given an exact definition of my opinion, you guys disagreed with my definition of my own opinion. A beep for example, at the same resolution you called CD quality, is still not CD quality. It has to be capable of the same things you'd hear on a CD as well as the resolution. Specifically, human voice (and I mean human, not vocaloid). No matter how powerful you make the hardware/software, pre-recorded music is still capable of infinitely more (literally) as they are not bound by any limitation like how many instruments can be loaded in RAM, how many samples can be played simultaneously, etc) or what effects the hardware can handle. CD Quality = being able to reproduce what music you can hear on a CD, and real time generated music doesn't do that

Clearly you can do things "offline" that you can't do in real time and you can sample things that you can't generate. This has never been a point of contention.

If you tried to generate real time, a song you heard on CD. And the hardware couldn't make it sound like the CD, then it's obviously not CD quality.

But by that token, if you could generate the same music real time, then it would be CD Quality. If someone sits down and writes some synthesizer music that would sound exactly the same generated real time or released on CD then presumably, by your logic, it would be CD quality music. Except also according to your logic it wouldn't be, because it could be generated real time.

(IRL of course, the real time generated music would sound better, because it's live.)

Given most games are already multithreaded, it seems relatively simple to try to spread the threads across available cores.

darkblu already answered this better than I could.

MS needed an emulator that could work consistently with Xbox 1 era games, which were dependent on single threaded performance; "3.2 GHz * 6 cores vs 0.733 MHz * 1 core" wouldn't be terribly meaningful even if the 360 did have 6 cores.

You're nitpicking for the sake of arguing. 3 cores, each with hyperthreading. Better?
360's PowerPC architecture is also designed to emulate specific X86 functions (ie: endian modes)
Sony's not going to be designing the processor from scratch like they did with PS3, they'll be using off the shelf stuff like PSP used.

I don't think making the distinction between cores and threads is nitpicking for the sake of arguing. You might want to avoid CPU reviews and benchmarks if you think it is!

Emulating a radically different CPU on a processor less than five times as fast (by clockspeed) seems to me to be an impressive achievement, and it would seem to place PSP emulation well within the realms of possibility. It's hard to see Sony having to overcome a difficulty greater than the loss of OoOE. And it's certainly worth bearing in mind if you're tempted to believe that PSP emulation definitely isn't possible on a Core 2 Duo.

If PSP was going to abandon BC and make a new system, Go would have been that. They had the chance to try that, and they said no.

PSP existed specifically to take avantage of the PSP's library of download titles. It complements the PSP and was never designed to replace it, any more than the PSX was designed to replace the PS2.

PSOne didn't show that Sony inteded to stick with the PS1's architecture, and PSTwo was never Sony's chance to do away with PS2 architecture and PS2 game compatibility.

Alright, so you're saying PSP2 will have a $600 subsidy to have hardware as powerful as a UMPC. Gotcha.

I don't think most of the cost of an UMPC comes down to it being so very powerful. Lets have a look at what we can do for $900 ...

PSP ($200)
Radeon 5850 ($350)
Core i7 920 (8 cores, $300)
-------------------
$850
-------------------

Not quite as powerful as a UMPC, but you do save $50! :D

Four SGX543 cores put together in multicore is less than 20 mm^2 of silicon in a 45 nm or smaller process, competitive with the silicon budget of the PSP's GPU, and Intel has already shown a 400 MHz clock rate on an available SGX core.

That's 266M tri/sec capability under a conservative shader workload (and, accounting for 2.5 layers of 3D depth complexity in the scene on average, effectively 8G pix/sec fill.) As just one point of comparison, RSX's limit for set-up is 250M tri/sec.

As a counter anecdote, I've played quite a lot of Halo 2 and had no problems save for some frame rate drops. The AA is a nice touch.

Though the plural of anecdote is not data, I know my case is not the norm given Halo2's usage statistics on Live.

Clearly you can do things "offline" that you can't do in real time and you can sample things that you can't generate. This has never been a point of contention.

And that's part of CD quality. CD quality does not mean just the resolution it's played at.

But by that token, if you could generate the same music real time, then it would be CD Quality. If someone sits down and writes some synthesizer music that would sound exactly the same generated real time or released on CD then presumably, by your logic, it would be CD quality music

I've already admitted that would count, since I said if it doesn't sound like what the CD track would sound like it wouldn't count. But again, for like the tenth time, I'm specifying high quality human voice as the particular example that impressed me with PSP. And we are discussing my opinion.

I don't think making the distinction between cores and threads is nitpicking for the sake of arguing.

It is. We're arguing over something insignificant and not relevant, and you knew what I meant. Thus, it's nitpicking for the sake of arguing. Moving on. Pick your arguments. Hell a better thing to do instead of complaining would have been to mention "it's 3 cores, with HT, I know what you meant but moving on"

darkblu already answered this better than I could.

MS needed an emulator that could work consistently with Xbox 1 era games, which were dependent on single threaded performance; "3.2 GHz * 6 cores vs 0.733 MHz * 1 core" wouldn't be terribly meaningful even if the 360 did have 6 cores.

I'm sure the emulator uses more than one core. At least to convert the different directx versions.
I'm sure they didn't use the method I said either but I was speaking theoretically.

Emulating a radically different CPU on a processor less than five times as fast (by clockspeed) seems to me to be an impressive achievement, and it would seem to place PSP emulation well within the realms of possibility

It's unlikely PSP2 will be 5 times as powerful clockspeed wise.

For starters, emulation also uses a lot more power, that's not good in a handheld.
A more efficient use of power would not be emulation at all. PSP2 doesn't have transfinite resources to work with. I don't see them going with emulation.

And the PowerPC processor 360's CPU is based on is built to emulate x86 in some ways. Sony will more than likely going with another off-the-shelf processor. If you can show me one (and cheap, low power) built to emulate PSP's processor, then all of this is comparable.

PSOne didn't show that Sony inteded to stick with the PS1's architecture, and PSTwo was never Sony's chance to do away with PS2 architecture and PS2 game compatibility.

PSone DID show that Sony inteded to stick with the PS1's architecture, and they kept supporting PS1 for years though. And they were playable on PS2.

PSP Go and PStwo aren't comparable, since Go did do away with most of the games. It was their chance to make a new system. Lots of people were pissed they didnt.

function said:
I don't think most of the cost of an UMPC comes down to it being so very powerful.

It does, combined with it being so small. Though my main point was, PSP was not subsidized. Once something is sold for profit/not at a loss, you can't claim it's subsidized. And claiming it was subsidized, isn't relevant, as the subsidy won't be as large as required to get it as powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's part of CD quality. CD quality does not mean just the resolution it's played at.
That's not a very qualifiable measure. Plenty of CD quality music is created by MIDI in a sequencer driving sample-based synths, very much akin to the Amiga's MOD method. Sequenced 44.1kHz 16bit samples will sound 'CD quality' going by some CDs, but not as good as expensive live-performance orcerhstral soundtracks which are another variation of 'CD quality'.
I've already admitted that would count, since I said if it doesn't sound like what the CD track would sound like it wouldn't count. But again, for like the tenth time, I'm specifying high quality human voice as the particular example that impressed me with PSP.
You talk as if audio compression hasn't been invented.
For starters, emulation also uses a lot more power, that's not good in a handheld.
And yet putting in a physical drive is good in handheld?

A hypothetical $1 profit per PSP hardware would've netted $60 million dollars total profit, not enough for Sony to have invested in the development of such a risky venture in the first place. PSP hardware, however, lost money in the beginning and never could've achieved the volumes necessary to reach a point of profitability without the subsidized price tag, so no, a relatively small profit now is not retroactively self-sustaining nor does it mean the price tag isn't still subsidized.

Lincroft and CE4150 have roughly similar costs in silicon to PSP's SoC (their GPU core is actually smaller than the PSP's), so UMPC or UMPC-like processors are not necessarily more expensive at all.

That's not a very qualifiable measure. Plenty of CD quality music is created by MIDI in a sequencer driving sample-based synths, very much akin to the Amiga's MOD method. Sequenced 44.1kHz 16bit samples will sound 'CD quality' going by some CDs,

I've said before that MIDI isn't CD quality even if the assets are that resolution. MIDI can't do things you can do with CD

but not as good as

That sounds like a quality statement to me.

expensive live-performance orcerhstral soundtracks which are another variation of 'CD quality'.

Well since we're arguing about my opinion of CD quality, where it includes anything that can be done on a CD.
How about we go by my opinion of CD quality and stop arguing about it.

Or do I have to make up another term for my opinion so this pointless argument will go away?
How about we call it, Whatever-you-can-do-on-CD quality? Can the argument end now?

What blew me away day 1 with my PSP was that it had Whatever-you-can-do-on-CD quality music with human vocals. Something no other portable had done simply due to lack of space.

You talk as if audio compression hasn't been invented.

No, I made no claims to that. I never said CD quality = the resolution of the recording you guys keep giving. The example I've given many times uses ATRAC compression AND HUMAN VOICES WHICH CANT BE DONE WITH MIDI.

I'd really love it if you guys would stop trying to put words in my mouth, and stop ignoring the ones that do come out of my mouth.

And yet putting in a physical drive is good in handheld?

Yes. It was the best thing to happen to handhelds in my opinion. We got portable games that simply wouldn't/couldn't be made without it. It was the biggest leap forward portable gaming ever got.

Lazy8s said:
A hypothetical $1 profit per PSP hardware would've netted $60 million dollars total profit, not enough for Sony to have invested in the development of such a risky venture in the first place.

Except that's not how much PSP made, so your point is moot.

PSP hardware, however, lost money in the beginning

Prove it please? Cause it's not likely given PSPs high launch price.

nor does it mean the price tag isn't still subsidized.

Nor does anything you say prove it was subsidized. Nor would it be relevant since Sony would be unwilling to subsidize PSP2 to the amount that'd be required in this situation. Even my cheaper UMPC is still worth $300 more than PSP was at launch. And that UMPC was a gift from Intel!

so UMPC or UMPC-like processors are not necessarily more expensive at all.

I didn't say the cost of a UMPC was solely due to it's processor.

BC didnt add anywhere near that much. A whole PS2 costs less
Estimates put the cost of BC at $27, and yes they'd be willing to pay that.

Sony sells the ps2 for $100. So if BC costs them $27 a full ps2 wont be much more than that. Do they want to make money on a ps2 or loose money on BC in ps3.

Not only that but they can simply go the GOW way where they enhnace the game and get to sell it all over again.

So once again what way do you think sony wants to go ? The ps3 is selling better than ever dispite not having BC

Proof it's relevant: http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/popular/
It's the second-most asked for feature!
You guys CANT deny how desired it is!

Amongst the core perhaps , they buy lots of discs. The casuals who own only a few games will feel diffrently. Those who buy systems later in its life time may also feel diffrently. Those who buy lots of used games and trade in will feel diffrently.

A poll of such a small segment of gamers isn't much proof of anything

Except that applies to you more than anyone

You keep bringing up the advantages of flash everytime I say the reason Sony went with UMD is cost/capacity. Sony is aware of those advantages, and they still went with UMD. The cost advantage hasnt gone away and never will.

Look at your calander. Is this 2003 when the psp was being designed. Or is this 2010 when a psp2 is being designed.

You keep trying to ignore the people who prefer discs, with little/no broadband/PSN access, as if they dont matter. They are paying customers. Sony is not going to abandon them. Less sales do not help the system win developers. Use some common sense and you'll realize Sony CANT go DD only, and CANT use flash to distribute games.

Sony will want to get rid of used sales and then inventory costs will be greatly reduced.

Currently I can go to a gamestop and download demos on my ds. It will be very easy for sony to put a kiosk in the ps3 units or in the stand for demo psp 2s that allow users to buy a game card from the store input it to your psp2 and download. Gamestop gets a cut too. Wireless n can trasnfer at a max of 75MB/s. So assuming 8 gigs you can get that from the kiosk in a minute and 49seconds.

I don't see why they can't use flash either. You never gave me a good reason.

Again, UMD2 would not be bound by any limitation of UMD1. I already proved that with existing examples and basic math. Simply switching to bluray and keeping the same motor speed would increase the data rate by a factor of 5. Because the data is more dense, at the same speed, the lens would pass over 5 times as much data in the same time.

5x1.8MB/s = 9MB/s . Thats Less than class 10 shdc. Memory stick XC from sony does 60MB/s . So it will transfer 51MB/s faster than your made up UMD2 disc and sizes will go up to 2TB . Though we'd never see that in game.

No, that'd be a waste of space. And they can't abandon physical mediums for discs.
If they are going to use UMD, and they are, they will use it for PSP2 games as well

Well we agree its a waste of space .

made up false statistic.
They'd still sell new UMDs just like they do now.
Walk into a gamestop. Count how many new titles they have on umd and then how many they have used.

Yesterday buying a wii fit i counted 15 new and 82 used.

Go into walmart and count how many new psp games there are. I counted 15 at mine.

Now go and find me some of the psp launch games still on shelves new. Can't find them ? I can go on psn and xbox live and find every single game they ever releasedo n those services to this day if I want to and MS and sony and developers get money for that purchase.

It costs almost no money do anything with UMD since it's existing technology. The lens in a UMD drive, is a simple DVD lens tuned to a specific frequency to block rewriteable discs. The discs, simply smaller DVDs in a shell. UMD2, would be an extension of that, simply many-layered small DVD or smaller bluray. And bluray seems the more logical/likely choice, as it would increase the data transfer speed, decrease power usage, and be easier to read and manufacture vs many layered DVDs. The shells are already done. They have to invent anything new at all.

The drives still add cost , take up space , fail , and use much more power than flash or DD.

Bluray lasers use more energy than the red lasers in dvd. So a UMD2 drive based on bluray would use more power. And far more power than flash or dd

They already invested into UMD and have standards for it.
It's vastly more convenient for large files, and vastly cheaper
And they can keep selling to people with little or no broadband/PSN access, which Sony does want to do.

I disagree.

And it's doing horribly, that alone guarantees Sony wont try that again

Sony will and they will do better next time.

Yes they do. Quotas tend not to be that big, lots of places have less than 20 GB a month. PSP2 games will be larger than 2 GB. There was a guy on the PS boards with a daily quota of 200 MB cause he uses satelite internet. Where he is, he cant get anything else.
I disagree , psp games will not rise as greatly in size as you believe and we already know we have psp games that go from extreme to extreme. I have some that are a few hundred megs and some on two discs. It will be the same with psp2.

I think the PS board guy will be the exception rather than the rule. There is alot of momvement for broad band. I have wireless broad band for $40 a month now and I get cable speeds all over the area.

Just cause it wont affect your quota doesnt mean it wont affect other people's.

Especially since ISPs are doing their hardest to crack down on large file downloading
Cable companys perhaps but that will change. Read up on the news.

Also see my idea for kiosks.

And that proves you know absolutely nothing about 3g. I've already shown you limits other DD systems have over 3g. iphone has a 20 MB limit, kindle has a 1 MB limit for apps, and they have to use less than 100 KB a month. 3g is even more expensive than broadband and has quotas of 1 to 5 GB for most people. Canada only got a 6 GB quota for the iphone for launch, after which everyone got 1 GB.

http://www.clearwire.com/

Anyway I'm on sprint with 4 g (through sprint/ clearwire) before that i had 3g. Both unlimited both $40 a month

ipad makes you buy blocks of 250 MB. Most PSP games are larger than that. Sony is not going to get free 3g for PSP2.

Un true. Apple offers 250MB a month for $15 or UNLIMITED for $30 .

Are you insane? Give extremely high quantities of expensive bandwidth away for free? You do know the whole point of UMD was that it costs less than flash right? 3g bandwidth is many times more expensive than flash! What's next? You going to suggest Sony give PSP2s away for free to get more of them out there than iphones/DSs? You have NO clue how anything works let alone retail apparently! Rogers (the biggest provider in Canada) charges $30 a month, for a SINGLE GB and then they start charging by the kilobyte! Use some common sense!

It would be free for consumers. Not for sony.

With Kindle amazon gives AT&T a portion of each book sold.

Sony can do the same. Plus they can advertise 3g for gaming through the psn store and give at&t or whatever company they partner with a way to sell monthly 3g plans for the system. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would pay $40 or soa month to play psp online through 3g. Or use skype or surf the web.

Actually you do. As I've explained to you multiple times.
Either you use a PC/PS3 to download games, or the Go is completely unusable for the hours it takes to download cause it doesnt have background downloading and only uses 802.11b wifi.

SO is that a DD problem or a PSP problem ?

iphone has 3g, and you DO need a PC to get anything on it larger than 20 MB for 3g. And for wifi, you have to leave the phone alone while it downloads, otherwise it stops while you're in other apps.
your zunehd also doesnt have PSP-sized games. or PSP quality games
You CANT compare PSP games to the crap on those, especially since they dont download the same way PSP does.
If your zunehd has background downloading, good for it. PSP doesnt.

Heh I have had windows mobile phones for a number of years and i've been able to download files up to 1gig for a very long time. In fact I downloaded a 8 gig file on my touch pro a month ago so that My friends and I could watch a movie . Downloaded it to my sd card and then loaded it into my friends laptop. Made a much better camping trip.

No try again? You can't wipe away actual events by saying no try again. Companies pushed to hard, people revolted. ACII used DRM so restrictive people DDOS attacked the servers and brought the whole game down. The DRM on spore was so bad it became the highest pirated game ever. Then there was the rootkit debacle, DRM so intrusive we SUED Sony and won. No, YOU try again.

Were are lawsuits against MS for xbox live games or Sony for psn games. Or apple for iphone apps.

You need to try again. As long as the DRM is not resitrictive and fair there is no problem at all. No one bitches they can't trade apps to friends or can't sell themwhen they are bored of them.

I don't see people bitch that they cn't go to their friends house and watch thier fios at thier friends who only has cable.

We dont have to put up with jack squat. Companies bend to OUR will, or we don't open our wallets. That's how it works. Not vice versa. WE are the ones with the power, not them.

WTF world do you live in.

If companies bended to our will the ps3 would have launched at $300 bucks and had no bluray drive and costumers would have been happy. It didn't happen.

If companies bended to our will instead of the napster debacle and the years of waiting till itunes released companys would have wnet DD for music at the end of the 90s.

If companies bended to our will we wouldn't have companys trying to cap our broad band use as you claim.

As Go's sales also proved. They released a product so restrictive people didnt want it, thus they didnt buy it. People dont put up with companies crap just cause you want them to. You have no clue how retail works..

And is that DD's fault or Sony's fault ?

Its obvious its sonys first attempt at a DD service and they didn't think it through. Would they make the same mistakes wih a psp2 as they did with a psp go.

Its obvious that DD can work and works finefor millions of people through iphones or steam or andriod.

Companys just need to do it right.

Sony sells the ps2 for $100. So if BC costs them $27 a full ps2 wont be much more than that. Do they want to make money on a ps2 or loose money on BC in ps3.

We were discussing subsidization.
They can sell PS2 games on PSN.

A poll of such a small segment of gamers isn't much proof of anything

Over 18,000 votes, that's not a small segment. Sony isn't going to ignore that many people

Especially since they set that site up to get people's opinions on what is most wanted. They aren't going to set that site then ignore the point of it cause you don't like it.

Look at your calander. Is this 2003 when the psp was being designed. Or is this 2010 when a psp2 is being designed

And flash is still many times more expensive than optical, and always will be

Currently I can go to a gamestop and download demos on my ds. It will be very easy for sony to put a kiosk in the ps3 units or in the stand for demo psp 2s that allow users to buy a game card from the store input it to your psp2 and download.

Yes. I've suggested so, but not on this site. There are more issues to work out.

I don't see why they can't use flash either. You never gave me a good reason.

Actually I did, other people did, many times. Ignoring the reasons, or not even liking them doesn't mean I gave you no good reasons.

5x1.8MB/s = 9MB/s . Thats Less than class 10 shdc. Memory stick XC from sony does 60MB/s . So it will transfer 51MB/s faster than your made up UMD2 disc and sizes will go up to 2TB . Though we'd never see that in game.

As I've said before. I was never denying those advantages of flash.
Problem, flash costs many times more than UMD.

Well we agree its a waste of space .

False. I said I agree its a waste of space to only use UMD for BC. I said Sony wouldn't use it for just BC.

Walk into a gamestop. Count how many new titles they have on umd and then how many they have used.

I see lots of new titles every EB/GS I go to

Go into walmart and count how many new psp games there are. I counted 15 at mine.

Lets assume the singular form of anecdote = data.
You've proven there are still new games to sell

Now go and find me some of the psp launch games still on shelves new. Can't find them ?

Yes. Annoyingly, MGA is still full price, when MGA2 has been discounted...

The drives still add cost , take up space , fail , and use much more power than flash or DD.

And flash costs many times more than UMD

Bluray lasers use more energy than the red lasers in dvd. So a UMD2 drive based on bluray would use more power. And far more power than flash or dd

And the games would cost far less to publish

I disagree.

You disagree Sony wants to keep selling products to paying customers? Good thing you're not in charge

Sony will and they will do better next time.
]

Sony CANT do better next time. As I've pointed out before, the issues that caused Go to fail were directly due to the lack of UMD Drive. It wasnt cause Sony chose not to post certain games, it's cause they didn't have the legal right to.

I disagree , psp games will not rise as greatly in size as you believe

They will, and must.
1) The GPU WILL use higher quality assets, which take more space.
2) There will be more RAM, devs will use that for larger levels, more characters loaded, etc.

I think the PS board guy will be the exception rather than the rule.

He's not an exception. 75% of the world doesnt have broadband.
And he's an example of someone with broadband but a small quota.

Anyway I'm on sprint with 4 g (through sprint/ clearwire) before that i had 3g. Both unlimited both $40 a month

You're not the rule though. I gave you the prices for all of Canada.

It would be free for consumers. Not for sony.

And I gave you the flaws in your idea based off that, so... You've corrected nothing.
Costs to Sony are still costs.

With Kindle amazon gives AT&T a portion of each book sold.
And you're again comparing what filesize to PSP games?

Sony can do the same

Yeah and add $30 to the cost of the game

Actually you do. As I've explained to you multiple times.
Either you use a PC/PS3 to download games, or the Go is completely unusable for the hours it takes to download cause it doesnt have background downloading and only uses 802.11b wifi.
SO is that a DD problem or a PSP problem ?

DD. Not PSP. PSP2 wont solve those issues.
If anything they'll be worse due to the larger filesizes, and how laws are changing to let ISPs punish large file downloaders.

Where are lawsuits against MS for xbox live games or Sony for psn games. Or apple for iphone apps.

You need to try again. I brought up specific examples of INVASIVE DRM that resulted in backlash. You gave me examples where they weren't. Try apple to apple comparisons.

WTF world do you live in.

This one, what world do you live in where people pay for stuff they dont want?

If companies bended to our will the ps3 would have launched at $300 bucks and had no bluray drive and costumers would have been happy. It didn't happen.

If it didn't happen it's cause the consumers paid for the PS3 at it's cost. Thus, Sony would be bending to the consumers will and supplying the demand.

But it did happen, PS3 sales were low, so Sony was forced to bend to consumer will and lower costs by removing components. You gave an example that supports me!

If companies bended to our will we wouldn't have companys trying to cap our broad band use as you claim.

Except they have no reason to when people keep paying for the service.

And is that DD's fault or Sony's fault ?

Again, DD. Not Sonys.

Laws in place prevented Go from being useful.
Laws prevented them from posting every game, laws prevented them from exchanging UMDs for games.

Its obvious its sonys first attempt at a DD service and they didn't think it through. Would they make the same mistakes wih a psp2 as they did with a psp go.

Yes, cause they were the fault of DD not Sony. As was said before, Sony CANT fix them with PSP2

Its obvious that DD can work and works finefor millions of people through iphones or steam or andriod.

And again, you keep bringing up examples that aren't comparable due to the massive difference in file sizes.

Just because carts worked for Gameboy Color with only 1 megabyte, doesn't mean 1 meg would work for PSP. Your examples, dont work. They are not comparable.

We were discussing subsidization.
They can sell PS2 games on PSN.

They can sell psp games on psn also and not have to compete with the libary of used games sitting on shelves at gamestops and other stores.

Over 18,000 votes, that's not a small segment. Sony isn't going to ignore that many people

Especially since they set that site up to get people's opinions on what is most wanted. They aren't going to set that site then ignore the point of it cause you don't like it.

So you believe that poll is indictive of the whole collective of ps3 users that will ever exist ? I highly doubt it. In fact people that go online and look for playstation info is the miniority . Not the majority.

And flash is still many times more expensive than optical, and always will be
8 gigs of MLC flash is under $4 bucks ,16 gigs is just over $4. Prices will continue to drop as micron prices go down. 8-16 gigs should be plenty for psp2.

64gigs is $15 bucks. Which means sony can put 128 gigs into a next gen psp for under $30 bucks when it launches in 2011 or later. Figuring 8 gigs per game as an average and yu can fit 16 games on it before investing in any additional memory sticks.
http://www.dramexchange.com/

Yes. I've suggested so, but not on this site. There are more issues to work out.

Whats there to work out ? In the ps3 kiosk there are two ps3s. One is a dummy unit in the plexiglass and teh real one is in the metal frame below. Sony can simply put small pc servers in there. hardrives are cheap. Factoring 8 gigs a game with a 1TB drive sony can fit 128 gigs. By the end of this year they can triple that with 3TB drives at 384 games. All gamestops have been upgraded to broad band. So sony can preload games weeks before release.

Actually I did, other people did, many times. Ignoring the reasons, or not even liking them doesn't mean I gave you no good reasons.

You claim 2 things.

Price . Which i can understand but nintendo uses flash and sells games for less than psp games and still makes money

Storage . Which isn't a concern anymore. I have showed 8gigs of MLC sitting at $4. Your getting over 4 times the space vs umd and it matchs what you claim for a next gen UMD system.

Lets also not forget that flash will continue to drop in price and most likely will drop again before the psp 2 is out considering they are now moving to 32nm nand and after that 22. Through out this decade flash will continue to drop in price and increase in speed.

UMD2 however will not. Once the specs are locked in thats it.

Flash however has many important aspects for a portable system as its advantages.

Speed , Durability , power usage.

As I've said before. I was never denying those advantages of flash.
Problem, flash costs many times more than UMD.

Do you have the costs for UMD. Sony has to maintain a line just for UMD , Its a form factor that no one uses and there are caddys that no one uses but sony for UMD.

Then you have the costs built ito the system. You have that drive sitting in there and more expensive batterys , a spining motor , and a larger device because of it.

False. I said I agree its a waste of space to only use UMD for BC. I said Sony wouldn't use it for just BC.

I know what you said. But its also a waste of space in retail and in the system it self.

I see lots of new titles every EB/GS I go to

Tuesday when I go to my local gamestop i will take you a picture . Both the new and used games are in the same section bookended. Yo ucan see the sheer diffrence between the titles.

Lets assume the singular form of anecdote = data.
You've proven there are still new games to sell

But shelf life is extremely short because retialers only keep a small amount of new games on the shelves

Yes. Annoyingly, MGA is still full price, when MGA2 has been discounted...

Can't buy MGA anywhere at retail (Assuming you mean metal gear acid ?) and many places don't even carry it online

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=metal+gear+acid

http://www.target.com/gsearch/186-2...&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchPage=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...##7##k&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=metal gear acid

In fact even the newer one is not avalible anywhere.

And flash costs many times more than UMD

Do you have pricing data you can refer me to >

And the games would cost far less to publish

Actually with a DD only system i would cost far less than UMD2 . Also there would be no need manage in store inventory or compete with used product which will increase profit.

As for flash intial cost may be higher , but it doesn't stop ds games from making very healthy profits and cost less.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=76135

$40 for a upcoming psp game and

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76944
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75028

$30 for upcoming ds games.

In fact some ds games launch brand new at $15 bucks !

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76992

You disagree Sony wants to keep selling products to paying customers? Good thing you're not in charge

]
and you believe for some reason that people who want a cutting edge next gen portable will not buy a psp2 because umd isn't there ?

I disagree.

Sony CANT do better next time. As I've pointed out before, the issues that caused Go to fail were directly due to the lack of UMD Drive. It wasnt cause Sony chose not to post certain games, it's cause they didn't have the legal right to.

Bullshit.

The problems with psp go was this

1)Full psp library not up at launch
2) games on psn were more expensive than the used verisons on shelves.
3) PSP go battery was much smaller. than the psps of the past
4) PSPs were easily hacked and many opted to keep those than rebuy
5) PSP screen was larger than PSP go
6) They didn't bother to update the wireless standard

Now with a new gen DD from the start system. 1) Is moot , 2 ) is moot 3) is moot 4) is moot , 5 is moot and 6 is moot

They will, and must.
1) The GPU WILL use higher quality assets, which take more space.
2) There will be more RAM, devs will use that for larger levels, more characters loaded, etc.

Yet the 360 uses 6.8 gig discs and renders at 720p which is a reslution that the psp2 will not have to bother with.

He's not an exception. 75% of the world doesnt have broadband.
And he's an example of someone with broadband but a small quota.

Got a link ?

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/1001/

usa is ranked 22nd in broad band penetration. All places are growing by leaps and bounds.

You're not the rule though. I gave you the prices for all of Canada.

http://www.ca.inter.net/en/max/promotion.php $30 CA for 75gigs of data at 5mbps is not bad at all.

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/interne.../getDetailPage&_pageLabel=PrsShpInt_NewAccess

$60 bucks for 115 gigs of data a month for 25/7 is pretty close to what i pay but I have unlimited and 20/5.

Prices don't seem bad. Now you can make an argument if the person is crazy hardcore and buys dozens of titles a month there might be a problem

And I gave you the flaws in your idea based off that, so... You've corrected nothing.
Costs to Sony are still costs.
and they will be less than UMD support in retail and through the whole process of getting the title to the end user. Also you have to factor in lost sales due to used copies floating around.

And you're again comparing what filesize to PSP games?

Kindle has books up to 100MBs and they charge $10 for it. Sony charges $40 for psp games. If you factor in Gamestops cut of about $5 per title that will easily make up for the bandwidth used.

Text messages cost cell phone companys fractions of a cent and bandwidth isn't much more expensive at pennies a gig.

Yeah and add $30 to the cost of the game
In made up world.

Remember currently you have to pay gamestop /walmart / whatever per copy. You need to pay for the physical medium , you need to pay for manuals and packaging , you need to pay for shipping costs. All that adds up. Easier to give a wirless company a piece of the action

DD. Not PSP. PSP2 wont solve those issues.
If anything they'll be worse due to the larger filesizes, and how laws are changing to let ISPs punish large file downloaders.

So your saying that the psp2 can't come with anything but wireless b ?

Also

http://www.dailytech.com/FCC+Airs+P...omes+With+100+Mbps+Broadband/article17898.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/Comcast+Seeks+to+Have+FCC+Ruling+Reversed/article16646.htm

Things are changing. The overment is starting to view high speed internet as a right just like phone service and tv service.

You need to try again. I brought up specific examples of INVASIVE DRM that resulted in backlash. You gave me examples where they weren't. Try apple to apple comparisons.

Steam does not have invasive DRM and has been in use for a very long time.

Want to know INVASIVE DRM . I can buy a ps3 title and it wont work in my 360... Thats pretty invasive.

Ican buy a ps2 title and it wont work in my PS3 .

I don't see law suits floating around for any of these things.

Steam , DD , windows live all hae fair DRM and there is no reason why more DD services can't be based on that. Even Zune marketplace has fair DRM and I can watch those videos across my 360 , zune and windows pc.

This one, what world do you live in where people pay for stuff they dont want?

I don't want discs. I still pay for them. Many people have to pay for discs although they don't want them.

Life isn't fair. IF you want a psp 2 orjoe blow portable system you buy it regardless of what format it uses.

Look at Itunes. It became extremely sucessfull even though it had invasive drm and locked you into itunes unless you wanted to burn all your music to cds again and then rip them back to another format.

I don't see huge back lashes against apple or law suits.

If it didn't happen it's cause the consumers paid for the PS3 at it's cost. Thus, Sony would be bending to the consumers will and supplying the demand.

So if PSP2 comes out with DD then its Sony bending to consumers will correct ?

But it did happen, PS3 sales were low, so Sony was forced to bend to consumer will and lower costs by removing components. You gave an example that supports me!

And it took them years to do and sonys sales suffered and its still loaded with uneed items.

and sony still won in the end because they forced bluray on the market

Except they have no reason to when people keep paying for the service.

Exactly. You want Sony titles you have to buy a sony system. If sony wants to ditch umds what are you going to do ? Are you going to not buy a psp2 or are you going to suck it up and buy it ?

Again, DD. Not Sonys

Its sony's faul. Explain how its DD's fault.

DD can be anything. Some DD doesn't even have drm and certianly is not DD's fault that sony redisigned the psp 5 years later nd managed to screw up for a second time.

Laws in place prevented Go from being useful.
Laws prevented them from posting every game, laws prevented them from exchanging UMDs for games.

Post links to these laws.

There is no Law that said psp go can't be usefull.

There are no laws preventing them from posting every game on PSN.

There are no laws to prevent them from exchanging UMD's for DDs.

There are no Laws that said sony had to stick with only wireless B and put a smaller battery in and a smaller screen in.

There are no such laws.

Yes, cause they were the fault of DD not Sony. As was said before, Sony CANT fix them with PSP2
How are any of these things DD's fault. They are all sonys because sony is bad at making software and its very obvious this generation.

And again, you keep bringing up examples that aren't comparable due to the massive difference in file sizes.

They are all valid.

Just because carts worked for Gameboy Color with only 1 megabyte, doesn't mean 1 meg would work for PSP. Your examples, dont work. They are not comparable.

WTF is this. Gameboy color came out a decade before the psp came out. Times change.

Personaly I don't want a gimped system because sony uses UMD or bluray UMD in the system.

8 gigs of MLC flash is under $4 bucks ,16 gigs is just over $4. Prices will continue to drop as micron prices go down. 8-16 gigs should be plenty for psp2.

64gigs is $15 bucks. Which means sony can put 128 gigs into a next gen psp for under $30 bucks when it launches in 2011 or later. Figuring 8 gigs per game as an average and yu can fit 16 games on it before investing in any additional memory sticks.
http://www.dramexchange.com/

Epic Fail
Gb = Gigabits, not Gigabytes, so that's actually 8GB flash chip for $15 and 1GB for $4 that you're seeing there, not to mention cost of controllers, etc that will need to be added.

Closest thing to umd there is microSD and thats $4 for 2GB while UMD costs pennies.
Stop this SSD crusade, pressed plastic discs are always going to be cheaper than semiconductors.

They can sell psp games on psn also and not have to compete with the libary of used games sitting on shelves at gamestops and other stores.

That's also abandoning a lot of customers.

So you believe that poll is indictive of the whole collective of ps3 users that will ever exist ? I highly doubt it.

No, I said it's too large of a sample to ignore.

And given the point of the website is to get data from its users, Sony won't ignore the data it got from its users

And that $4 price is still twice the cost of a 50 GB bluray disc!

Whats there to work out ?

-Storage would add up pretty fast, the kiosks would need to be altered to store multiple ventilated harddrives
-USB ports or the bluray slot would need to be exposed (installation of games, faster powered transfer to PSPs)
-They'd need to set the PS3 up to act as a RemotePlay or PSN Store server for multiple simultaneous PSPs (otherwise the store is limited to 1 cust per kiosk)
-Kiosks would need to be given an internet connection, and most retailers only have dial up shared with the interact machine and main line (to put your games on your account and use PSN cards)

All gamestops have been upgraded to broad band.

Not in canada. You keep thinking small. This has to work for the whole world not just you.

You claim 2 things.

Price . Which i can understand but nintendo uses flash

Nintendo uses vastly smaller amounts of flash.
Again, you're comparing apples to oranges.
The largest DS games is 256 megabytes, and there is only one that big. The rest are all 128 MB or smaller. 128 MB isnt enough for 99% of PSP games.

Storage . Which isn't a concern anymore. I have showed 8gigs of MLC sitting at $4. Your getting over 4 times the space vs umd and it matchs what you claim for a next gen UMD system.

And it's twice as expensive. which = higher risks for publishers

Lets also not forget that flash will continue to drop in price

Lets not forget optical/UMD will/has as well.

UMD2 however will not. Once the specs are locked in thats it.

Um, costs still go down. You don't think optical mediums get cheaper?
Did you not pay attention to the dropping cost of writable discs over the years?
optical discs have come down in price like every other product ever mass produced

http://www.dvdcopycat.com/blog/page/3/

Over the past year we have seen the cost of blank Blu-ray disc media come down pretty substantially. Within the last year, BD-R(burnable blu-ray) media costs have come down about 40%. This trend reminds me of DVD-R in 2000. I suspect over the next 2 years we will see BD-R costs drop enough to make publishing Hi-def video projects affordable to most video and film professionals.

Flash however has many important aspects for a portable system as its advantages.

Speed , Durability , power usage.

And as I've told you a minimum of 3 times, no one is disputing that.

Cost however is more important, and is why solid state mediums were abandoned in the first place

Do you have the costs for UMD.

Yes, at launch UMD cost under $2 for dual layered, and less for one layered.
DS cards, for 64 MB cost $20 to manufacture. Making DS cards cost 288 times more capacity wise

And like every other mass produced product ever made, the price has come down.

Sony has to maintain a line just for UMD

Except you have to maintain a line for every game being made no matter what it's stored on

Then you have the costs built ito the system. You have that drive sitting in there and more expensive batterys , a spining motor , and a larger device because of it.

Yes, and as someone pointed out before. The cost of that is still cheaper than using flash, and the costs don't get put on publishers which = bigger better and more games.

You're exaggerating again, the difference in battery cost is negligible. And so is the size.

Tuesday when I go to my local gamestop i will take you a picture

Wait, you're saying Playstations website with over 18,000 votes isnt a large enough sampling size to represent all owners but you're going to give me a picture of 1 game store? That's hypocrisy.

Both the new and used games are in the same section bookended. Yo ucan see the sheer diffrence between the titles.

The difference is irrelevant. New games are there. And other systems also have plenty of used games.

Actually with a DD only system i would cost far less than UMD2 .

No one is disputing that. The claim is it would also sell far less since you're excluding markets DD can't get to.

As for flash intial cost may be higher , but it doesn't stop ds games from making very healthy profits and cost less.

apples - oranges. Stop comparing 2 completely different things

that's less than I paid for Pokemon Gold.

In fact some ds games launch brand new at $15 bucks !

So do some PSP games! I paid $12 for my new copy of Gurumin. $10 for locoroco

and you believe for some reason that people who want a cutting edge next gen portable will not buy a psp2 because umd isn't there ?

Some people CANT buy a DD only system even if they wanted to.
75% of the world doesnt have broadband
Then there are those with small quotas
75% of gamers prefer discs to downloads

The problems with psp go was this

1)Full psp library not up at launch
2) games on psn were more expensive than the used verisons on shelves.
3) PSP go battery was much smaller. than the psps of the past
4) PSPs were easily hacked and many opted to keep those than rebuy
5) PSP screen was larger than PSP go
6) They didn't bother to update the wireless standard

1 was due to the law, and going DD only does not solve that problem
2 was due to the law, and going DD only does not solve that problem
3 wont be solved by going DD only. 3 was a direct result of going DD only
5 was a direct result of going DD only

Now with a new gen DD from the start system. 1) Is moot , 2 ) is moot 3) is moot 4) is moot , 5 is moot and 6 is moot

Those problems were caused by going DD. They won't be moot, they'll be made worse.

Yet the 360 uses 6.8 gig discs and renders at 720p which is a reslution that the psp2 will not have to bother with.

Unlikely.

Got a link ?

http://www.internetworldstats.com/dsl.htm
Oh, apparently only 4.6 % of the world has broadband, not 25% as I claimed

Here's more country stats, note how none are anywhere near 100% coverage.

usa is ranked 22nd in broad band penetration

1) USA is not the world.
2) 22nd place is not good. Even using the USA as an example, going DD excludes a large amount of people

Kindle has books up to 100MBs and they charge $10 for it.

100 MB is the size of PSP minis!!

Sony charges $40 for psp games. If you factor in Gamestops cut of about $5 per title that will easily make up for the bandwidth used.

No, it wouldn't.

Text messages cost cell phone companys fractions of a cent

140 characters is not comparable to PSP games!

In made up world.

No, this one. I didn't make up a world where 3G was cheaper than flash.

So your saying that the psp2 can't come with anything but wireless b ?

No. I said nothing of the sort. But PSPs wifi is only one of the reasons downloading takes so long. Switching to faster wifi isnt going to make the problem go away.

Things are changing. The goverment is starting to view high speed internet as a right just like phone service and tv service.

1) Now how long do you predict that will take. Do you expect Sony to wait that long? I guarantee the # of years is greater than 1
2) Do you expect Sony to bet billions on the govt. that has failed to follow through on similar projects in the past?
3) USA is not the world

Steam does not have invasive

I didnt say it was

Want to know INVASIVE DRM . I can buy a ps3 title and it wont work in my 360... Thats pretty invasive.

That's not DRM

I don't want discs.

75% of gamers do

I don't see huge back lashes against apple or law suits.

There were.

So if PSP2 comes out with DD then its Sony bending to consumers will correct ?

No, since the majority of consumers don't want DD.

and sony still won in the end because they forced bluray on the market

You can't force anything on the market.

There are no laws preventing them from posting every game on PSN.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lumines-psp-unlikely-to-appear-on-psn

Japanese developer Q Entertainment has said it wants to see PSP titles Lumines and Lumines II appear for download on the PlayStation Store, but a mixture of licensing and publishing issues are getting in the way.

"We would love to bring Lumines/Lumines II to the PSN store, but there are complications, music licensing, was published by Namco, etc," the developer tweeted this week (thanks GamePro/Kotaku). "That said, we're obviously looking into it."

"To clarify, we don't have any problems with Bandai Namco," the developer said a day later. "It's just not as simple a matter of slapping Lumines I/II up on PSN as it seems... The songs 'Shinin'' and 'Lights' were licensed for the UMD version of the game. To re-purpose the game for PSN, we'd need to re-license, etc.

It probably gets even more complicated in Europe, too, since Ubisoft published the first Lumines on PSP and Buena Vista Games (now Disney Interactive) published the second.

To post the game without re-getting those rights, would be breaking copyright law. It'd be theft.
This is why most games aren't up. This is why most PS1 games aren't up. Other devs have posted similar quotes.

Just cause you're ignorant of how the law works doesn't mean there aren't laws about it. Do research before making claims

They'd have to reobtain rights for licenses (sports, movies) songs, etc. Contracts have expired, etc. That is a direct result of going DD only. Not Sony's fault, other than making the moronic decision to go DD only in the first place.

There are no laws to prevent them from exchanging UMD's for DDs.

Sony can't give you something they don't own.

How are any of these things DD's fault.

When Sony ditched UMD in the Go, they had an excuse to go smaller, so they took it.

WTF is this. Gameboy color came out a decade before the psp came out. Times change.

And? Comparing it to GBC is no different than the comparisons you've made. You keep comparing it to completely different situations, huge differences in filesizes.

Personaly I don't want a gimped system because sony uses UMD or bluray UMD in the system.

Well you didn't vote hard enough with your wallet to outweigh those who do want it.

Epic Fail
Gb = Gigabits, not Gigabytes, so that's actually 8GB flash chip for $15 and 1GB for $4 that you're seeing there, not to mention cost of controllers, etc that will need to be added.

Closest thing to umd there is microSD and thats $4 for 2GB while UMD costs pennies.
Stop this SSD crusade, pressed plastic discs are always going to be cheaper than semiconductors.

HA! Well done!

Well since we're arguing about my opinion of CD quality, where it includes anything that can be done on a CD.
How about we go by my opinion of CD quality and stop arguing about it.
That's cool. Once we know what exactly ewveryone's talking about, we can discuss it instead of tripping up on definitions.

What blew me away day 1 with my PSP was that it had Whatever-you-can-do-on-CD quality music with human vocals. Something no other portable had done simply due to lack of space.
No, I made no claims to that. I never said CD quality = the resolution of the recording you guys keep giving.
That wasn't what I was saying. I'm happy with your definition, particularly the possibility to include actual songs which need large storage not afford by DS carts. However, now we've got that clear, how does that relate to the thread topic? I was saying that we can get significant amounts of prerecorded music onto a couple of hundred MBs with audio compression, which is a negligable amount on current and future flash-based sotrage options. Thus the need for a disc to enable high-quality assets as it was needed for PSP doesn't exist for PSP2, unless you want HD video.

Yes. It was the best thing to happen to handhelds in my opinion. We got portable games that simply wouldn't/couldn't be made without it. It was the biggest leap forward portable gaming ever got.
On PSP 1. However you're arguing about conserving power in PSP2. You don't want emulation in PSP2 because you consider it power-hungry. By that same token a phsyical drive should be avoided if it can be. Batteries will likely last longer emulating PSP off flash-storage than driving an optical drive running on native hardware. Plus for PSP2 games where you don't care about emulation requirements, the lack of a physical drive will extend battery life.

Incidentally is there anyone reading this who can do a battery test of flash media versus UMD on PSP? I tried to look up the differences but Google came up with nothing. It'd only need a UMD video to be watched and then the same film viewed off MemoryStick. I'm sure people here have that sort of experience and can tell us how much difference there is in battery life running the UMD or not.

That's cool. Once we know what exactly everyone's talking about, we can discuss it instead of tripping up on definitions.

*faceplam* Considering I gave pretty much that same sentence "What blew me away day 1 with my PSP was that it had Whatever-you-can-do-on-CD quality music with human vocals. Something no other portable had done simply due to lack of space.' just with CD quality in there, everyone should have known what I was talking about from the start. It's not like I didn't say human vocals enough. It's pretty infuriating that me changing the term is what got you to understand when I've explained it many times.

I was saying that we can get significant amounts of prerecorded music onto a couple of hundred MBs with audio compression, which is a negligable amount on current and future flash-based storage options

That's not negligible on flash. To a publisher, they'd see it as wasted money. In most cases they'd rather the music be switched to MIDI or use more compression. Switching to flash puts the burden of every file adding to the cost back on developers which is a step backwards. See that guys explanation involving the all you can eat buffet.

. Thus the need for a disc to enable high-quality assets as it was needed for PSP doesn't exist for PSP2

The need would be even greater on PSP2, the better GPU alone would demand better textures and 3D models. It will undoubtedly use a higher resolution screen, that would use higher resolution FMV. Sony has no need to improve the music quality as PSP1 is pretty much the highest we're going to need for a while. Devs aren't going to take advantage of the more space demanding improvements if they have to worry about the publishing cost going up every megabyte.

On PSP 1. However you're arguing about conserving power in PSP2. You don't want emulation in PSP2 because you consider it power-hungry. By that same token a phsyical drive should be avoided if it can be.

No, emulation would use a lot more than UMD. I think it was you who proved Sony reduced power usage far more just by going from the 1x to the 2x model than they did by removing UMD, Sony can and has reduced UMD's power usage. A Bluray-based UMD would use even less power as it'd use a slower motor speed.

I'm going to attempt to shorten this

That's also abandoning a lot of customers.
No, I said it's too large of a sample to ignore.
And given the point of the website is to get data from its users, Sony won't ignore the data it got from its users

Of course the usershave never experianced a real DD system. So its not a valid poll. If you show them to units and list battery life of both units , one with the mechanical drive and one without I'm sure results will be diffrent.

And that $4 price is still twice the cost of a 50 GB bluray disc!
I miss read the page so its more than $4 however a Bluray disc would hardly make for a portable system.

-Storage would add up pretty fast, the kiosks would need to be altered to store multiple ventilated harddrives
-USB ports or the bluray slot would need to be exposed (installation of games, faster powered transfer to PSPs)
-They'd need to set the PS3 up to act as a RemotePlay or PSN Store server for multiple simultaneous PSPs (otherwise the store is limited to 1 cust per kiosk)
-Kiosks would need to be given an internet connection, and most retailers only have dial up shared with the interact machine and main line (to put your games on your account and use PSN cards)

Storage is cheap. I did the numbers you failed to listen. Asuming 8 gigs per psp2 and using 1TB hardrives (they are as low as $80 bucks right now) you can store 128 psp 2 titles at 8 gigs a game. 3TB hardrives which will be out later this year would tripple that would hold 384 titles.

These are far more than any store would actual hold. In fact thats more new games than 360 , ps3 and wii have in stock at a gamestop.

As for the rest they can set it up as a wireless n server which will transfer at 60MB/s which would be enough to transfer a title in a little over 1m 40 seconds.

They wouldn't need a ps3 at all. Gamestops have all goe broad band and most walmarts that i know have broad band. Aside from that they would preload games to the kiosks and can do it over days or weeks so fast speeds wouldn't be a problem. Even the slowest dsl connection (or 3g or even 56k) would be fast enough to check that the code is valid.

Not in canada. You keep thinking small. This has to work for the whole world not just you

I disagree , i posted canada's prices for internet. The average user would have no problems with limits that are 75GB or greater. I don't invision casuals who buy a game a month or a game every few months to have problems with bandwidth caps. If the caps are restrictive they can go to their local store just like now.

Nintendo uses vastly smaller amounts of flash.
Again, you're comparing apples to oranges.
The largest DS games is 256 megabytes, and there is only one that big. The rest are all 128 MB or smaller. 128 MB isnt enough for 99% of PSP games.
And it's twice as expensive. which = higher risks for publishersLets not forget optical/UMD will/has as well.
Yes the ds was designed at a diffrent time. This is not 2004. PSP 2 games can grow with flash as it grows in size and drops in price. If 4 gigs is $4 at launch they can start making them and slowly move up as flash drops in price. Just like when the psp 1 came out 1 gig flash cards were 40 or so bucks in the states and now you can get 8 gig cards for $15 bucks.

Um, costs still go down. You don't think optical mediums get cheaper?
Did you not pay attention to the dropping cost of writable discs over the years?
optical discs have come down in price like every other product ever mass produced
Optical costs will hit a wall and not drop more. The drives will hit a price and not be reduced more. ALso opitcal drives do not get faster and do not increase in storage size.

With a UMD2 you still need to pay for the disc and the caddy and the drives will still cost money.

Flash however has constantly gotten faster and cheaper while increasing in storage capacity.

Memory stick Pro came out in 2003. It was limited to 20MB/s maximum speed. It came out with 1GB size.

Memory stick xc anounced in 2009 it will go to 2TB and transfer at 60MB/s

ALot has changed since the psp came out.

Yes there is a higher risk involved but sony is already charging more per game and if they go with flash it can be absorbed into the cost.

And as I've told you a minimum of 3 times, no one is disputing that.

Cost however is more important, and is why solid state mediums were abandoned in the first place

But they weren't fully abandoned they are still in use and are gaining again in popularity.

Yes, at launch UMD cost under $2 for dual layered, and less for one layered.
DS cards, for 64 MB cost $20 to manufacture. Making DS cards cost 288 times more capacity wise
Link ?

And what are prices like today ?

And like every other mass produced product ever made, the price has come down.
Except you have to maintain a line for every game being made no matter what it's stored on
Not with DD. Its just data stored on a drive in a server farm or kisok

Yes, and as someone pointed out before. The cost of that is still cheaper than using flash, and the costs don't get put on publishers which = bigger better and more games.
You're exaggerating again, the difference in battery cost is negligible. And so is the size.

Better is debatable. As for exaggerting the psp go gets close to the psp 3000s battery life 3-5 vs 4-6 hours of life. The psp 3000 has a 1200mah rating while the go has 930mah rating. The psp 3000 has a 270mah rating increase.

Wait, you're saying Playstations website with over 18,000 votes isnt a large enough sampling size to represent all owners but you're going to give me a picture of 1 game store? That's hypocrisy.

I asked you to check your local stores also. They do not carry old stock. I gave you a link to the major retailers in this country for new games and none of them have Metal gear acid for sale or part 2 for sale new.

Its very simple. Shelf life for games is very short at retail while in a DD store the life of sales will be greater.

The difference is irrelevant. New games are there. And other systems also have plenty of used games.
Only new games tho. Games have a limited shelf life of making money. With a DD only system games can continue to sell new for years and not have to compete with used games.

No one is disputing that. The claim is it would also sell far less since you're excluding markets DD can't get to.
There is no such market. If there are physical stores then you can get DD

apples - oranges. Stop comparing 2 completely different things
They are both portable video game systems.

tha
t's less than I paid for Pokemon Gold.

Same price as pokemon gold , pokemon gold also come with a piece of hardware included which is why I did not use it for comparisons.

So do some PSP games! I paid $12 for my new copy of Gurumin. $10 for locoroco
The point is that dispite this very expensive flash as you claim they are able to releas cheap games brand new on the ds.

Some people CANT buy a DD only system even if they wanted to.
75% of the world doesnt have broadband
Then there are those with small quotas
75% of gamers prefer discs to downloads
Don't use fake statistics.

If people can go to a store and buy a game they have acess to DD systems.

1 was due to the law, and going DD only does not solve that problem
2 was due to the law, and going DD only does not solve that problem
3 wont be solved by going DD only. 3 was a direct result of going DD only
5 was a direct result of going DD only

Please link me to these laws. They do not exist.

Those problems were caused by going DD. They won't be moot, they'll be made worse.
Not at all. All of them are due to the physical medium existing before the DD console came out. If you go DD from the start all games will be released as they come out and stay on DD.
Your blaming DD for sony's mistakes and then more importantly your claiming there is some law out there. Please link me to these laws.

[
url]http://www.internetworldstats.com/dsl.htm[/url]
Oh, apparently only 4.6 % of the world has broadband, not 25% as I claimed

Here's more country stats, note how none are anywhere near 100% coverage
1) USA is not the world.
2) 22nd place is not good. Even using the USA as an example, going DD excludes a large amount of people
As your link points out oer 6.5 Billion people have broadband. Only 60 or 70m people own a psp.

Also we already talked about the kiosk design. It doesn't have to be either or. It can be both which you seem to forget.

100 MB is the size of PSP minis!!
$40 is the cost of a psp game. Some games are as small as 400 megs. 4 kindle books is $40 bucks and can be 400megs. 3g is free for kindle. It can be free for psp.

No, it wouldn't.
No ? Says who. I'm charged 40 a month for unlimited acess . $5 is 1/8th the cost for much less than the data i use on it. I play bf2 bad company on it and download legal torrents. I normaly go over 100 gigs. Even back when I was on 3g I was over 20 ggis a month.

0 characters is not comparable to PSP games!
Yes but your not following. Text messages like wireless internet is where wireless companys make alot of money. For example. Text messages costs fractions of pennies and yet unlimited texts used to be (up untill a few months ago) $20 bucks extra a month on verizon. You'd have to send thousands of text messages a month to get even close to costing verizon that much money and most people would use less than $1 a month for texts.

3g on verizon is a $10 charge for 25megs and 20c a MB after. However unlimited 3g is only $30 . you notice how it does not compute.

Its because 3g is dirt cheap for verizon and they are able to charge alot for it and make lts of money. Using thier own pricing you shouldn't be able to get more than 75MB for $30 bucks of data. But its unlimited at $30 bucks instead of 75MB

It would cost Verizon very little and make them lots to support a psp2 on thier network esp since they will have moved to 4G/wimaxx before the psp2 is out (verizon is rolling it out at the end of this year

No. I said nothing of the sort. But PSPs wifi is only one of the reasons downloading takes so long. Switching to faster wifi isnt going to make the problem go away.
Wireless B transfers at 11Mbps. Its a big problem. You couldn't even make the kiosk idea work if you wanted too

1) Now how long do you predict that will take. Do you expect Sony to wait that long? I guarantee the # of years is greater than 1
2) Do you expect Sony to bet billions on the govt. that has failed to follow through on similar projects in the past?
3) USA is not the world
I expect sny to be more mindful of the future than they were with the psp and design a proper system that is able to download games from a kiosk at a store and for those who have fast internet at home will allow them to download it through that or 3g/4g networks. That is whats popular its where markets are heading and portable systems will head that way. Even if at the start games wont grow much in size over the psp as time goes on the size of games can easily increase.

I didnt say it was
Yet you claim all the problems are DD , steam is an example of a proper DD system that is not invasive and proves that DD doesn't have to be.

That's not DRM
Digital rights medium. Last I check bluray / dvd / cd is digital and it stops me form using the discs in a way sony doesn't want.

75% of gamers do
You mean 75% of gamers who visted that site and took the time to post there ?

There were.
Got links to the law suits ? Last i checked ipods were far and away the best sellig mp3 player and iphone is one of the best selling phones ever made.

No, since the majority of consumers don't want DD.
But if people buy it that means sony did what consumers wanted right. Its what you have been saying.

You can't force anything on the market.
Sony did a good job of forcing bluray

That isn't a law , that is bad liscensing agreements. Some tv shows due to music haven't come out on dvd either . They can simply replace the music if they so choose.

To post the game without re-getting those rights, would be breaking copyright law. It'd be theft.
This is why most games aren't up. This is why most PS1 games aren't up. Other devs have posted similar quotes.
Really thats why games with music created in house aren't up ? Thats bullshit

Just cause you're ignorant of how the law works doesn't mean there aren't laws about it. Do research before making claims
The vast majority of psp games do not have liscensed music

They'd have to reobtain rights for licenses (sports, movies) songs, etc. Contracts have expired, etc. That is a direct result of going DD only. Not Sony's fault, other than making the moronic decision to go DD only in the first place.

As long as the publisher has the sports liscense still they can publish it without reobtaining anything. Movies of course have to be relisenced but sony has already done that through psn. Sonys only have to be reliscensed if it has another copyright holder. The vast majority of games do not use copyrighted music from outside the company.

None of this is DDs fault. This is sonys fault. If the system was designed as DD from the start none of this would be a problem.

Btw releasing the games on UMD2 would require sony get rights to the music again. You can see from virtual console that these are not problems with the vast majority of gamse released and its not a problem with DD

Sony can't give you something they don't own.
Nope they can't , but sony and the game developers could have introduced an exchange program. This s not DD's fault. It is sonys fault.

When Sony ditched UMD in the Go, they had an excuse to go smaller, so they took it.
Which many people love. I don't see why this is DD's fault. THe main problem ws that they didn't go DD in the first place !

And? Comparing it to GBC is no different than the comparisons you've made. You keep comparing it to completely different situations, huge differences in filesizes.

I'm comparing it to a system that came out the same year as the psp. Sony could have easily released a flash based system back then or used smaller capacity discs. Developers would have designed around it. There is no problem there.

Well you didn't vote hard enough with your wallet to outweigh those who do want it.

I moded my psp 2000 years ago and didn't have to deal with sony's stupid software . Hopefully they make a good DD only system with the psp2 otherwise I will likely only buy the new nintendo system or if MS comes out with a system.

Personaly I might be very happy with a new windows mobile 7 phone for gaming on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back