"I'll take it from here Ken" PSP battle plan

Also, the storage could be done using flash memory like you said, but then the problem becomes price. The 4GB models you speak of sell for about $120CAD already.

The price of flash falls a lot faster than a hard disk ever will. By your own example, I paid about that same price for a 1 GB stick when the PSP launched.

But it's not about their returns. If they open the platform up sufficently, then 3rd parties will develop the software almost assuradly. The productivity software I speak of isn't really about input, just output. It would be just a reader that pulls its data either from the internet or your home network. The point is that it's better then a piece of paper half of the time. I doubt that would have a huge development cost. In fact, it could already be provided via the browser, but that's at the mercy of an internet connection. A dedicated client could store the data locally when disconnected.
Also, the storage could be done using flash memory like you said, but then the problem becomes price. The 4GB models you speak of sell for about $120CAD already.

If you look at my other post... I'm not convinced that selling more units to the techy audience is going to help Sony much. What additional user base is there to gain by adding these kinds of features? I believe everyone with an organizational need of that kind already has a PDA, which is far better suited for that task (touchscreen).

Opening something like Xbove Live Arcade sounds interesting... OTOH there could be a problem with those simpler, arcade like games (dare I say: Nintendo DS like games) becoming more popular than the stuff you buy at retail -- and that with less licensing revenue. I dont believe that Sony would want that.

I strongly agree on this particular point. Sony already got the more or less hardcore gamer/gadget crowd. They shouldn't focus on adding features that only appeal to these kind of folks. If they ever want to reach numbers like Ninty does with the DS, they also have to tap into the more casual market. I don't know any PSP games, so maybe the software is already there. It could just be a product image problem. I could see e.g. my mother owning and using a DS, but not a PSP, regardless of the application.

What I would do? I would make sure there would be alot of psp only games instead of crappy ps2 ports. Nobody cares about the gfx, the reason the psp doesnt sell is because people are not interrested in buying a 250dollar machine wich for 90% only has game wich are already available, in a better form, on home consoles. That is why the DS sells like crazy (along with the software, because psp software sales are dramatic), it has tons of exclusive software wich also happens to be pretty good quality.

That's bollocks , psp's software line-up is quit damn good and a lot of games now and upcoming are exclusive.

And as far as Software not selling well is because piracy, It's so goddamn easy to do ( and it doesn't cost anything ) on psp even if the game prices will be lowered i doubt it will matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, it's mostly the software sales that need to go up. I honestly think the new psp store might do some good here. The PSP is really good in running small downloadable apps - homebrew has shown it and recently downloadable game demos are really doing it well also. They're starting to really hit off now. I think there are already more than 10 downloadable playables out there. Being able to buy them online will surely help, and so will PS3/PSP interaction.

That's bollocks , psp's software line-up is quit damn good and a lot of games now and upcoming are exclusive.

And as far as Software not selling well is because piracy, It's so goddamn easy to do ( and it doesn't cost anything ) on psp even if the game prices will be lowered i doubt it will matter.

Thats not balls, thats the cold hard truth. Software on PSP sells like shit mainly because most software is shit. 9 out of 10 titels are also available on a console, only better and the games that are exclusive arnt any good most of the time. You cant honestly name 5 AAA titels on PSP that are only on PSP. Hell, I cant even name 3.

I dont think piracy is to blame. Jan met de korte achternaam (thats dutch) doesnt know how to downgrade his psp so he can play games he downloaded. He probably doesnt even know where to download those games.

Sony just made a big error thinking people are into playing their console games on a handheld (paying twice for the same game). People dont want that, a handheld must be like the DS with its own unique games wich dont require 30+ second loading times. The problem is in the software and thats a fact.

Thats not balls, thats the cold hard truth. Software on PSP sells like shit mainly because most software is shit. 9 out of 10 titels are also available on a console, only better and the games that are exclusive arnt any good most of the time. You cant honestly name 5 AAA titels on PSP that are only on PSP. Hell, I cant even name 3.

Whatever you say. I disagree. The PSP has lots of great software. It's just that the DS is the heir to the GBA. When people think handheld, they think Gameboy, they think Nintendo, and they've been tained to think that way, and trained to like the kind of games that you can get on a Gameboy (i.e. relatively simplistic and unsophisticated). The DS didn't have to do much to be successful, but apart from that it struck gold with its touchpad combined with great Nintendo software that really catered to its Nintendo raised audience, and even brought in some new audiences as well, partly because many instinctively get the touchpad.

I dont think piracy is to blame. Jan met de korte achternaam (thats dutch) doesnt know how to downgrade his psp so he can play games he downloaded. He probably doesnt even know where to download those games.

Maybe, although I know and meet about as many people who do use devhook as who don't. Of course, the PSP is also a very successful media device, for which you do not have to buy anything else but a larger memory stick. I think a fair share of the money on software sales goes in that direction. However, yes, also with the games being slightly more expensive, there is still a fair amount of money going round in PSP software sales. It's not actually as far off as you think.

Anyway, you can complain and whine about how PSP games *suck* all you want, and quote silly Dutch catchphrases, but the fact is there are plenty of great PSP games, and a lot of the PSP versions of console equivalents are still really great games. Just look at a lot of different genres of games available, and the PSP version of that genre will offer you a game with a lot more depth than anywhere else. But the DS is compatible with the GBA, has a touchpad, and has Nintendo software, and that, right now, seems to be enough to make it a big success. In turn, on the PSP, a *lot* of people love having GTA portable, and there is nothing comparable on the DS. You won't hear them complain about not having an exclusive game - they get what they like, and with multiplayer support to boot. Similarly, I love racing games like Ridge Racers, or Wipeout, and the rather good MotoGP demo. I like Daxter, and I don't think any platformer on DS comes close. Flight Game? Ace Combat X. Fighting game? PSP has the best ones (Tekken in my view). I can go on for a fair bit here too.

Sony just made a big error thinking people are into playing their console games on a handheld (paying twice for the same game). People dont want that, a handheld must be like the DS with its own unique games wich dont require 30+ second loading times. The problem is in the software and thats a fact.

A gross oversimplification. PSP is the first handheld that is holding its own against a Nintendo handheld product, ever. That's quite a legacy to overcome, but it is lasting longer than any other system so far and doing rather well for itself. People are making money, support is great, and there are a tonne of good games. This platform isn't going to die anytime soon.

But it's all good. Today, there is definitely room for two platforms, and a third (a more or less unified Cell-phone platform) coming up fast.

I think the PSP's downloadable games and applications through the Playstation store through is going to be helping it a lot.

Whatever you say. I disagree. The PSP has lots of great software.

You can disagree whatever you want but its a simple fact that alot of PSP games are ports from console games and are actually worse than the console version. Thats a fact, just read the reviews.

It's just that the DS is the heir to the GBA. When people think handheld, they think Gameboy, they think Nintendo, and they've been tained to think that way, and trained to like the kind of games that you can get on a Gameboy (i.e. relatively simplistic and unsophisticated).

Your wrong. The DS never used the Gameboy name (people know gameboy, not nintendo) but still its a hugh succes. Adn simple games on GBA? there are plenty of of gba games wich you have to spend over 20 hours in to complete them and have alot of depth.

and the PSP version of that genre will offer you a game with a lot more depth than anywhere else

Sure... Of PSP games would be as good as you say, than why are the software sales so bad? PSP only has 1 million seller game I believe, if there were as many good and games with alot of depth than why doesnt anybody buys them? Im sure in your opinion there are plenty of awsome psp games but in reality thats not true. Sure there are good titels, but not that much and nobody in their right mind is gonna pay twice for the same game (if I look at the games in the stores the average consumer buys his games 9 out of 10 games are ports).

A gross oversimplification. PSP is the first handheld that is holding its own against a Nintendo handheld product, ever. That's quite a legacy to overcome, but it is lasting longer than any other system so far and doing rather well for itself. People are making money, support is great, and there are a tonne of good games. This platform isn't going to die anytime soon.

The PSP and DS serve a different market. People who mainly want games buy a DS, people who want a media device that happens to play games buy PSP. Sales are indeed pretty good (exept for software) but quality and the amount of games isnt close to the DS. Everybody though PSP was going to 0wnz0r the DS because of its beautifull gfx, in the end thats not what most people care about, they want to play good, fun and original games. Not play the same games they already own for their console. And thats just a fact even though your oppinion is different.

You can disagree whatever you want but its a simple fact that alot of PSP games are ports from console games and are actually worse than the console version. Thats a fact, just read the reviews.

I do, a lot. Probably more than you. But you are right, some of them make the mistake of comparing the game to its console version, when they should have compared it to a competing handheld product. This is a gross error on the reviewers part, even if it seems an obvious thing to do.

Your wrong. The DS never used the Gameboy name (people know gameboy, not nintendo) but still its a hugh succes. Adn simple games on GBA? there are plenty of of gba games wich you have to spend over 20 hours in to complete them and have alot of depth.

The DS is backward compatible with GBA games. Enough said.

Sure... Of PSP games would be as good as you say, than why are the software sales so bad? PSP only has 1 million seller game I believe,

You are wrong, it has at least 4 (WipeOut, Ridge Racer, GTA and Lumines) and one of them has sold several million (GTA). Several others are on the verge of breaking the 1 million limit (for instance Monster Hunter Portable, Burnout Legends)

if there were as many good and games with alot of depth than why doesnt anybody buys them?

Because people don't care about depth when it comes to handheld games. This is what I meant when I talked about GBA games. They are mostly previous generation games (there are a few exceptions, sure). PSP games are mostly current generation games.

The PSP and DS serve a different market. People who mainly want games buy a DS, people who want a media device that happens to play games buy PSP. Sales are indeed pretty good (exept for software) but quality and the amount of games isnt close to the DS.

Blatently false. The amount of games is definitely close to the DS, and the quality of the games also definitely on par. If you calculate averages, and even if you look at top ranking titles, they are extremely close. So much so that on one site the PSP has a slightly higher average ranking, on the other the DS - but the difference is always tiny.

Everybody though PSP was going to 0wnz0r the DS because of its beautifull gfx, in the end thats not what most people care about

Well sure. They care about having the next Nintendo - just look at SMB; is that really better than Loco Roco or Daxter? Matter of taste at best, surely, but people just loooove Mario, so they buy it anyway, both the Mario 64 re-release and NSMB sold really well, and even Super Mario Kart. And they care about original games or maybe you should even call them applications - surely applications like Brain Training did a lot for the DS, and they are definitely its strong-point. Personally, I think Brain Training is the best that the DS has to offer.

Not play the same games they already own for their console. And thats just a fact even though your oppinion is different.

Yeah, whatever. I personally think that the best thing the DS did was bring a touchpad to handheld gaming, and partly as a consequence, add some new genres to the gaming world. But when it comes to existing genres, the PSP has much better games on offer in nearly all of them.

I do, a lot. Probably more than you. But you are right, some of them make the mistake of comparing the game to its console version, when they should have compared it to a competing handheld product. This is a gross error on the reviewers part, even if it seems an obvious thing to do.

No they are right comparing it to the console version because thats what sony claims the psp is, a portable console. And compared to the consoles version the psp version is worse not to mention you end up paying twice for the same game wich is just stupid.

You are wrong, it has at least 4 (WipeOut, Ridge Racer, GTA and Lumines) and one of them has sold several million (GTA). Several others are on the verge of breaking the 1 million limit (for instance Monster Hunter Portable, Burnout Legends)

Give me figures please. Last time I saw any psp game sales figures GTA was the only game selling over a million (not even close to multimillions like you claim).

Because people don't care about depth when it comes to handheld games. This is what I meant when I talked about GBA games. They are mostly previous generation games

So you claim last generation games dont have any depth? they are all just simple games? yeah right...

Blatently false. The amount of games is definitely close to the DS, and the quality of the games also definitely on par. If you calculate averages, and even if you look at top ranking titles, they are extremely close. So much so that on one site the PSP has a slightly higher average ranking, on the other the DS - but the difference is always tiny.

Care to explain why psp sales suck if there are so many good games? Wordwide sales charts are full of DS games, you rarely see a psp game. Japanese charts are 80% DS games each week, almost never do you see a psp game, that must mean psp just doesnt have the amount of good games DS has otherwise you would see alot more psp games.

Well sure. They care about having the next Nintendo - just look at SMB; is that really better than Loco Roco or Daxter?

Well its better than loco roco since that flopped pretty big. The game sony though Japan was going crazy for, well... I guess sony shouldnt try making games that could be nintendo's.

I think Brain Training is the best that the DS has to offer.

Yes, buts thats because you have a big sticker on your forehead saying: I love PSP.

The whole point is you love psp, fine with me but its a fact that it more or less fails as a gaming handheld. Sure you might think otherwise, but sales speak for themselves and in terms of software the DS is destroying the PSP (well, it already did actually) and software is what makes or breaks any console/handheld.

Sony thought handheld gamers where into console games on their portable, wich proved to be wrong. Its just a fact, you cant argue over it.

Lumines million seller ? It sold a bit over 300K in US, and bombed in Japan. Unless it did an absolute killing in EU (which it didn't), I've a hard time thinking it's a million seller. Do you have a source for that, or is it your usual act of inflating PSP figures, which you have done quite a few times in the past ?

Burnout nearly million seller ? At 325K in the US and no release in JP ?

Because people don't care about depth when it comes to handheld games. This is what I meant when I talked about GBA games. They are mostly previous generation games (there are a few exceptions, sure). PSP games are mostly current generation games.

That's BS, sorry. Don't make it sound like handheld games had to wait for the PSP to show some deep. Even Pokemon (handheld title by excellence) is an extremely deep RPG once you get past the simplistic design. Stuff like Golden Sun, the old FF remakes, handheld Zelda, Fire Emblem... are examples of very deep games. PSP fanb0ys like you swallowed the "handheld gaming ghetto" PR blurb hook, line and sinker, but depth is not equal to shiny graphics, cinematics and long loading times... Sure, you can stay focused on the licensed crap that sells well on GBA (SpongeBob, Dysney-branded stuff, Garfield or whatever), but that would be the same as reducing the PS2 audience to the exact same shit that sells well on PS2 too... Because a popular platform will attract shovelware quicker than the competition.

Well sure. They care about having the next Nintendo - just look at SMB; is that really better than Loco Roco or Daxter? Matter of taste at best, surely, but people just loooove Mario, so they buy it anyway, both the Mario 64 re-release and NSMB sold really well, and even Super Mario Kart.

Well there is simply no doubt that NSMB is a much better game than both Daxter and Loco Roco (and you were talking about depth, SMB is a lot deeper than both PSP games you quoted, especially LR). Regarding SM64, it sold well mostly because of being a launch title. NSMB absolutely crushed it sales-wise. And you can't be serious when saying people buy SM Kart because of Mario... The series is old enough to stand on its own now, is a genre-defining game, and the DS version has been said to be the best one.

Saying that NSMB and Mario Kart sold well because of Mario branding is just more of the usual damage control, and it just conveniently forgets about tons of Mario games that didn't sold nearly as well. The actual, cold reality is that they sold well because they are simply excellent games : NSMB is the best 2D platformer in years (probably since Yoshi's Island), and Mario Kart DS is the best iteration of the series...

Yeah, whatever. I personally think that the best thing the DS did was bring a touchpad to handheld gaming, and partly as a consequence, add some new genres to the gaming world. But when it comes to existing genres, the PSP has much better games on offer in nearly all of them.

What existing genres ? Platformers (SMB crushes the PSP competition) ? Shooters (PSP shooters look better, sure, but even Syphon Filter has control issues and can't match the smooth controls of something like MP: Hunters) ? RPGs (the PSP had a slight edge here, but the DS library is growing very strong, including FF3) ? Strategy (Advance Wars DS kills Total Command or whatever the PSP strategy game is called) ? Puzzles (PSP has the excellent Lumines, sure, but Tetris DS and Meteos are just as good) ? Old-school gaming (PSP has 2 2D Megaman remakes, but the DS has Megaman ZX and 2 superb 2D Castlevanias). The only genres where the PSP really shines above the competition are 3D-platformers, sport games, and sandbox games (only GTA on the PSP for now, but there is no denying that the lack of HW power on the DS makes such a game impossible to make well on the platform).

Anyway, I let you resume your fanb0y mudslinging with tongue_of_colicab.

Lumines million seller ? It sold a bit over 300K in US, and bombed in Japan. Unless it did an absolute killing in EU (which it didn't), I've a hard time thinking it's a million seller. Do you have a source for that, or is it your usual act of inflating PSP figures, which you have done quite a few times in the past ?

My mistake, I meant Minna no Golf / Everybody's Golf

[quote\Burnout nearly million seller ? At 325K in the US and no release in JP ?[/quote]

It's doing great on re-release over here in Europe. Won't be long.

That's BS, sorry. Don't make it sound like handheld games had to wait for the PSP to show some deep. Even Pokemon (handheld title by excellence) is an extremely deep RPG once you get past the simplistic design. Stuff like Golden Sun, the old FF remakes, handheld Zelda, Fire Emblem... are examples of very deep games.

Zelda and Pokemon are fairly deep, but really, the average depth of games has increased from last generation to this generation. If you disagree with me, fine, but the difference is there.

PSP fanb0ys like you swallowed the "handheld gaming ghetto" PR blurb hook, line and sinker, but depth is not equal to shiny graphics, cinematics and long loading times... Sure, you can stay focused on the licensed crap that sells well on GBA (SpongeBob, Dysney-branded stuff, Garfield or whatever), but that would be the same as reducing the PS2 audience to the exact same shit that sells well on PS2 too... Because a popular platform will attract shovelware quicker than the competition.

There are always exceptions. But the fact is, the extra memory and processing power allows for a wider range of games.

Well there is simply no doubt that NSMB is a much better game than both Daxter and Loco Roco (and you were talking about depth, SMB is a lot deeper than both PSP games you quoted, especially LR).

Says you. But there are a lot of reviews that disagree, and personally I definately disagree. SMB is another Mario game, and sure it has some nice innovations (tiny Mario, big Mario), but Loco Roco is something else. But it doesn't have the reputation yet of a Mario. Everybody knows and loves Mario, and it has a near religious following.

Regarding SM64, it sold well mostly because of being a launch title. NSMB absolutely crushed it sales-wise.

I know, but I mention it because it's in the million sellers list.

And you can't be serious when saying people buy SM Kart because of Mario... The series is old enough to stand on its own now, is a genre-defining game, and the DS version has been said to be the best one.

I'm not. I'm saying that the series is a long standing (Mario related) series that was already popular on all the other Nintendo machines it appeared on and continued to do really well on the DS.

The actual, cold reality is that they sold well because they are simply excellent games : NSMB is the best 2D platformer in years (probably since Yoshi's Island), and Mario Kart DS is the best iteration of the series...

Well sorry, but I prefer Loco Roco. But the cold, hard irony is that the people who bought a PSP are more technology minded and care more for GTA and other 3D kinds of games. I'm really sorry it's selling so bad, as everyone I let it play loves it and it got excellent reviews (except on Gamespot, apparently). Hopefully they will still make a Loco Roco 2, and make the level editor even better. I love it and it makes replay value go up considerably (for collecting all the items, and several of them), but it's not flexible enough just yet. I think the game has, amazingly, ended up still being very underappreciated, mostly I guess through relying too much on the idea that people would want to collect all 20 Loco Rocos in each level, as it seems many were just satisfied with completing the game. A lesson for next time.

What existing genres ? Platformers (SMB crushes the PSP competition) ?

Again that's a matter of taste. Daxter, Loco Roco, and even Ghosts 'n Goblins, are very good platformers. If you think that SMB crushes all that, fine, but I don't

Shooters (PSP shooters look better, sure, but even Syphon Filter has control issues and can't match the smooth controls of something like MP: Hunters) ?

If you say so.

RPGs (the PSP had a slight edge here, but the DS library is growing very strong, including FF3)?

I don't disagree. I'm also willing to bet that FF7 on PSP is going to beat FF3. It takes longer to finish, for a reason. There's a lot more potential in the PSP for an RPG, and certainly a Square one. ;) They'll surely fill up that 1.8Gb on the UMD disc.

Strategy (Advance Wars DS kills Total Command or whatever the PSP strategy game is called)?

No it really doesn't. Field Commander, by the way. Field Commander has all the features of AW and more, but where it lacks in style (at least that's what the reviews say), it makes up in online support (which it has amazing support for, better than any game on any platform, almost).

Puzzles (PSP has the excellent Lumines, sure, but Tetris DS and Meteos are just as good)?

Tetris just as good as Lumines? Ehm. Maybe in terms of sales, anyway. I'll give you Meteos, but I'll raise you a Mercury Meltdown.

Old-school gaming (PSP has 2 2D Megaman remakes, but the DS has Megaman ZX and 2 superb 2D Castlevanias).

I'll give you the Castlevanias - I never liked them, because I'm a weird guy who prefers Gods and loved the original Pandemonium - but they are universally acclaimed. But the PSP also has good remakes of Bomberban, Rainbow Islands, and Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins, for instance.

The only genres where the PSP really shines above the competition are 3D-platformers, sport games, and sandbox games (only GTA on the PSP for now, but there is no denying that the lack of HW power on the DS makes such a game impossible to make well on the platform).

Well, no comment there. But these areas do cover a lot of ground and GTA portable makes a lot of people happy, and ditto for the FIFAs, PES, and Madden's. Don't also forget original games like Metal Gear Ac!d, Killzone: Liberation, and other such more adult themed games.

Anyway, I let you resume your fanb0y mudslinging with tongue_of_colicab.

I'm done talking to him - there's too much of a (visible) risk being dragged down to his level of discussion. I much prefer discussing with you. ;)

Again, I do like the DS. I actually tried the other Brain Training Game, the Sega one I think? on it, and like my sister (who owns both of them) I think I prefer that one - it has more challenge and depth. And the math training in there would actually be great for my girlfriend. So much so that I'm considering getting it. I should probably code my own math trainer on the PSP (though there's one out there already I think), but then I think she'll appreciate the stylus.

But just like the Playstation and its games have always appealed to me more than the Nintendo, the PSP and its games have so far appealed to me much more than the DS and its games. And then the PSP has all the extra media features, that I use a lot as well.

it's a matter of taste, but there's no denying right now that handheld gamers have a predeliction for Nintendo games, and I think I know where that comes from. But I'm giving the DS full credit for bringing in new gamers through the use of its stylus.

But there's also no denying that the PSP is bringing in a lot of people who previously only played games on their consoles. I think it's great that both systems are out there, and I'm thankful I have a choice, or can even buy both.

October hasn't been a bad month for the PSP by the way:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/742/742790p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm done talking to him - there's too much of a (visible) risk being dragged down to his level of discussion. I much prefer discussing with you.

Doesnt this forum has that cry smile smilie? that would be great for this quote. Dragged down to my level? lol, wel atleast I know why psp isnt selling unlike you who just seems to think psp 0wns DS in just about everything. In term of software sales psp sucks wich cant mean anything else than that the consumers arnt interested in the kind of games that are on PSP.

Corwin sorta said whats on my mind, wish school offerd better english classes, I suck at typing whats in my mind.

Doesnt this forum has that cry smile smilie? that would be great for this quote. Dragged down to my level? lol, wel atleast I know why psp isnt selling unlike you who just seems to think psp 0wns DS in just about everything. In term of software sales psp sucks wich cant mean anything else than that the consumers arnt interested in the kind of games that are on PSP.

The problem is not just that you disagree, but you are so badly informed. Corwin_B and I have covered almost everything you have said already.

Corwin sorta said whats on my mind, wish school offerd better english classes, I suck at typing whats in my mind.

That's ok, we all have to learn. I'm Dutch too. ;) Just keep having conversations with people on the internet, and keep learning in school, and you'll be fine.

hehe you cant go anywhere these days without ending up with other dutch people.

Back to the point. If im that badly informed, than why are overall psp sales so bad? at best you see 1 or 2 psp games in EU/US sales charts in the top 10 while you always see DS titels (not to mention Japan). Its a fact that psp software isnt selling very well. Sony said this, and even EA said they are disapointed with psp sales. Its a fact psp in generall doesnt offer the games handheld gamers want to play and thats why software sales are lagging.

If you think im wrong than please explain why software sales are so bad? if its not the quality or the type of games, than what is it?

If you think im wrong than please explain why software sales are so bad? if its not the quality or the type of games, than what is it?

I think the reason why you see so many DS games in the charts, is because a smaller number of them sell more copies. For instance, if you look at the figures for August at videogame charts, then you'll see the totals are much closer than you'd think.

DS 20,482,000
PSP 19,063,500

Even the monthly total isn't that big of a difference:

DS 997,500 (August)
PSP 741,000 (August)

So don't let the Japan figures fool you - in the U.S. and the E.U., the differences between the two aren't nearly as dramatic.

Back