"I'll take it from here Ken" PSP battle plan

Rangers

Legend
"I'll take it from here Ken" PSP battle plan

Okay blatant rip off off Crayon's console post.

What would you do if YOU are put in charge of making PSP a success and fending off DS.

I dont have much except the obvious. Pretty much the same as my 360 ideas. Price. Drop to 149. I see Sony's plan so far is a 249 Giga pack with more stuff (1 GB mem stick, game, etc). No, this is the wrong direction imo.

Unlock that other 111mhz of clock already. That is ONE third more power just sitting there. That is a ton. That is unheard of. Probably push the graphics well, well ahead of PS2 levels.

Those are not unique though, my unique idea is this: I had not realized that DS carts are huge! Apparantly FF3 is 128 MB. That is enough to cause a serious (or at least non trivial) bill of materials on each DS cart. So, take advantage of being on optical media when the other guy isn't. Drop all games to $20, a price Nintendo probably couldn't match due to cart costs.

A souped up PSP for $149 with $20 games is instantly far more attractive. But I'm sure there are tons of other ideas. Got any?
________
Babes live

Last edited by a moderator:
(Disclaimer: I own neither a PSP nor a DS and have no first-hand experience on either of them).

I don't think increasing the clock speed would help that much. The PSP is already noticeable superior to the DS in the graphics department, without the general public caring too much. However, it would mean an additional power drain, not a good thing for a mobile device.

I agree that the DS cartridges are more expensive to produce than optical media. However, keep in mind that the typical PSP game costs way more to produce than the typical DS game (the PSP owner probably bought the device with expectations of high quality graphics), so you'd need even more sales to reach the break-even point.

Nice thread, although i have to comment on some things...

Okay blatant rip off off Crayon's console post.

What would you do if YOU are put in charge of making PSP a success and fending off DS.

I really think that at present time, there is not much more that Sony could do. PSP is doing really well, but it will probably never reach the DS success. Still, it's doing remarkably well, considering it's against Nintendo who have dominated the market for 20 years or so...

Unlock that other 111mhz of clock already. That is ONE third more power just sitting there. That is a ton. That is unheard of. Probably push the graphics well, well ahead of PS2 levels.

The clock speed would help for sure although i'm not sure it would make PSP run games "better than PS2". Certainly not "well ahead of PS2"...

Those are not unique though, my unique idea is this: I had not realized that DS carts are huge! Apparantly FF3 is 128 MB. That is enough to cause a serious (or at least non trivial) bill of materials on each DS cart. So, take advantage of being on optical media when the other guy isn't. Drop all games to $20, a price Nintendo probably couldn't match due to cart costs.

Games and most importantly UMD movie prices would make PSP more accessible, although i don't think it would still help making the PSP sellmore than DS.
A souped up PSP for $149 with $20 games is instantly far more attractive. But I'm sure there are tons of other ideas. Got any?

More attractive, for sure, but i think that DS has that extra little something (probably the Nintendo name) that will let it sail through for a long time...

Surely the clock frequency the PSP runs at is a per-game setting already and up to the dev? If they need 333, they can set 333, right?

Surely the clock frequency the PSP runs at is a per-game setting already and up to the dev? If they need 333, they can set 333, right?

Yes. According to Faf, the clock is totally manageable by the developer even on a per-frame basis (increase or decrease the clock whenever they want basically), which is quite freaky when you think about it. I'm sure he said something like that, or i could have just dreamt it.

drop the gameprices from those redicilous 55eURO a game to more like 30-39euro / game

i dont see a reason for sony to drop the psp price now. you have already a naked psp for 199 . a valuepack with 1gig memcard for 249.
Its not that I wouldnt want them to drop , offcourse i would, but the psp system is selling above ps2 level in most countrys and they make a lot of money on those valuepacks . (for a minimum cost they ask 49euro more )

so drop game prices and movie prices
at this way people at least care buying new games .

Actually they are using the same system as they did with ps2

• keep the price of the system as it is - it's alright and i don't think SCE is in a position right now to take even more hw-incurred losses.
  • make a goddamn secure firmware and officially open the platform for homebrew development!
  • decrease the average price of titles - keep the $40+ for real AAA titles, drop the price of the rest
  • decrease the price of UMD movies - it should be _below_ their DVD counterparts!

- Reduce the price of the barebones PSP to 150 and maybe include Loco Roco with it.
- Lock the price of UMD movies to $10 for new releases, and $5 or $6 for old movies.
- I would dedicate at least 40% of the current 1st part devs to developing funny pick up and play games, instead of portable adapatations of console games, as well as releasing non-games.
- Release a new color for the PSP each 3 or 6 months.
- Release a new PSP model with a brighter screen, built in eye toy and maybe built in GPS. People really like new console and protable revisions.
- Launch a fully working online shop, selling music for $1 and music videos for $2 or $3 each.
- Allow user converted videos to run in the psp default resolution.

That´s my take on the situation.

• Open it up for homebrew development with a live arcade style system for distribution. Games must pass a basic and cheap certification to get on this.
  • Create a model with a small internal HD, something like 30GB.
  • Include the damn USB cable
  • Make it support Vista SideShow and MS media formats
  • A touch screen would be nice, but perhaps that's best left for a PSP2
  • Create a device/program that can stream the PSPs video and appropriate controls over the wireless network, so you can play the PSP on your TV or computer and with alternate controls.
  • Create a basic productivity software suite, so I can manage my contacts, to dos, calender and schedule on the go. This information is automatically synced with my desktop's data when I enter my home network, or it can be pulled from an online server. This should interop with Office and whatever Macs use for contacts, as well as supporting standard formats like vCard. Maybe it could even detect website microformats like hCard.
  • Give me a mic and Skype. I don't want a cell phone though.
I understand that Sony has this philosophy about how the PSP is a media/gaming device and nothing more. I think this is ridiculous. It's a powerful general purpose handheld computer, and it should act like one. It's just that it's design is biased towards media/gaming. Less then this, and I'm not getting my money's worth.

• A touch screen would be nice, but perhaps that's best left for a PSP2
  • Create a basic productivity software suite, so I can manage my contacts, to dos, calender and schedule on the go. This information is automatically synced with my desktop's data when I enter my home network, or it can be pulled from an online server. This should interop with Office and whatever Macs use for contacts, as well as supporting standard formats like vCard. Maybe it could even detect website microformats like hCard.
  • Give me a mic and Skype. I don't want a cell phone though.
I understand that Sony has this philosophy about how the PSP is a media/gaming device and nothing more. I think this is ridiculous. It's a powerful general purpose handheld computer, and it should act like one. It's just that it's design is biased towards media/gaming. Less then this, and I'm not getting my money's worth.

I believe that Sony is right with restricting their feature set somewhat. I don't believe any of the above functionality would elevate the sales level of the PSP. It's the classical problem of the convergence device, where you put in as many features as you can, just because it's possible. History has shown that such devices are not very successful in the market place, since it's just not as good as having dedicated devices.
Besides, I'd guess most productivity software would be a bitch to use without touchscreen, and, like you implied, you can't just add that without fragmenting the user base. It's also a matter as to not appear as just following Nintendo (especially regarding the touchscreen), but appearing as a leader. That's an important thing in the eyes of consumers.

An internal HD sounds nice, but is probably quite expensive, and would make the PSP even larger. With memory sticks approaching the 4GB range, I don't believe it's necessary, even for hardcore users.

I've thought about this a lot, but they are doing a number of great things that they should just be doing: pumping out the big games, lots of them, and getting the previous big games on budget release. I'm meeting more and more PSP owners in the trains lately, and recently challenged one in a game-sharing mode of Tekken. That was just Ace. More of that, please!

What I would like to see:

- keyboard. Get that for the PSP and then never mind the touch screen - you have web-browsing with keyboard, then just add in email and messenging. I'm sure you can use it in a fun way for games somehow too (touch screen could still be very nice for PSP2 though I agree - just depends on the trade-offs)

- homebrew. Make sure that people can get some of that awesome free stuff, it's just really, really worth it. Some of these coders are better than you'll ever hire it seems, and they do their work for free. Benefit from it!

- online gaming and rankings. We do need more of it.

- PSP/PS2 game bundles (and PSP/PS3 game bundles). Having games on both the PSP and the PS2 is still perceived as a weakness, but it can be a strength this way

- UMD movies. Don't give up on them! But keep them cheap. Mainstream people are just discovering the PSP, and giving the little ones a nice animated movie for on the back-seat really does the trick (you can see Robots, Ice Age et al are popular on sites like www.play.com). I personally really like them too. And more full-season releases.

- music and video download: integrate some kind of iTunes like feature.

- native OS support for the camera and mic. Chat features, Skype, etc. But also record memos, video, etc. Make photos.

The PSP can do all these things. Now hire some ace programmers (i.e. better than the ones on those guide and translation applications or in charge of the PSP security) and make sure it does!

I'm meeting more and more PSP owners in the trains lately, and recently challenged one in a game-sharing mode of Tekken. That was just Ace. More of that, please!

so do you see now why i want GT:mobile more than GT:HD ? ; )

for me, 'versus' play on a handheld has the same great value as playing versus on the old arcades - internet multiplayer just cannot replace that.

Other posters have covered most of my criticisms and suggestions, but I'll post some anyway.

A. Release a much higher capacity battery and unlock the CPU. The desired result would be maximum power with the possibility of 8-10 hour play sessions. Think DS Lite. Games that run well at 222MHz would benefit, as you'd then be able to play them for about 12-15 hours.

B. Lower game prices to DS levels. This isn't that drastic: $5-10 off. Consider dropping the hardware to $179 or $149.

C. Focus less on porting games from the PS2 and increase development of titles like Loco Roco. Handheld-centric, simplistic, and different from their PS2 counterparts. This is an area where the DS is far more balanced: you have a bevy of innovative/unique software (Brain Age) but you also have your tried-and-true formula games. (Mario Kart) We'll buy your beautiful and complicated 3D titles (i.e. Tekken) but don't forget 2D... and remember that stuff like Lumines is what drove the PSP initially.

D. Stop making it difficult to homebrew on the PSP. It was a big selling point for me.

As well as the obvious cheaper UMds and enable homebrew and whatnot, the most important areas I'd concentrate on are extra features and network structure.
  • Deliver the integrated media browse and buy options, with community services to message etc.
  • Secure wide WiFi access-point access so WiFi is useful in places other than your home
  • Promote a massive information network. Allow people to use their PSP at the train station to look up timetables, delays, routes etc. Let them use their PSP in museums to get info on exhibits, streaming movie and audio tracks. Integrate GPS for tourists to find places to visit, work out the local bus services, etc. OF course Sony themselves couldn't supply all this, but they should provide solutions that service providers can buy into. Partner with Google! Provide a full PSP info network of server and picocells or whatever's needed and convince the Science Museum to install it. Get everyone there with a PSP to have it out in the open and advertise it's worth to all the other visitors. The screen on that thing is so sweet that it's perfect for such content.

A tiny nit-pick. In the Netherlands, at least, the major train stations have wireless access points, and while you have to pay to get on the internet, you can watch the timetables of incoming and outgoing trains for free, as well as plan your route. I can access this with my PSP right now, no problem! :)

C. Focus less on porting games from the PS2 and increase development of titles like Loco Roco. Handheld-centric, simplistic, and different from their PS2 counterparts. This is an area where the DS is far more balanced: you have a bevy of innovative/unique software (Brain Age) but you also have your tried-and-true formula games. (Mario Kart) We'll buy your beautiful and complicated 3D titles (i.e. Tekken) but don't forget 2D... and remember that stuff like Lumines is what drove the PSP initially.

I strongly agree on this particular point. Sony already got the more or less hardcore gamer/gadget crowd. They shouldn't focus on adding features that only appeal to these kind of folks. If they ever want to reach numbers like Ninty does with the DS, they also have to tap into the more casual market. I don't know any PSP games, so maybe the software is already there. It could just be a product image problem. I could see e.g. my mother owning and using a DS, but not a PSP, regardless of the application.

OT:
zijde gij nen hollander of wa ? :smile:

Yep! :)

En back on-topic, I just heard from a colleague that they planted a PSP portal at the Free RecordShop right in the main hall of Utrecht Central Station, which is a station where I'll be spending 20 minutes tomorrow anyway so I'll be sure to check it out and see what they have to offer!

If they ever want to reach numbers like Ninty does with the DS, they also have to tap into the more casual market.
Amusingly, I use my PSP now for the more "pick up and go" casual games (even if they seem more "hardcore" like Tekken or Burnout, that's what they are) and look forward to the DS delivering more in-depth and intriguing titles due to its' built-in features.

Of course that leads to the biggest problem of the "casual" games on the PSP... load times. And hence my #1 wish: cache the games or allow bootable portions on MS, and stream bigger chunks to the same to always fill RAM from solid-state whenever possible. I know everyone won't have big enough sticks to, but they could and should assist developers in programming that option in.

I believe that Sony is right with restricting their feature set somewhat. I don't believe any of the above functionality would elevate the sales level of the PSP. It's the classical problem of the convergence device, where you put in as many features as you can, just because it's possible. History has shown that such devices are not very successful in the market place, since it's just not as good as having dedicated devices.
Besides, I'd guess most productivity software would be a bitch to use without touchscreen, and, like you implied, you can't just add that without fragmenting the user base. It's also a matter as to not appear as just following Nintendo (especially regarding the touchscreen), but appearing as a leader. That's an important thing in the eyes of consumers.

An internal HD sounds nice, but is probably quite expensive, and would make the PSP even larger. With memory sticks approaching the 4GB range, I don't believe it's necessary, even for hardcore users.

But it's not about their returns. If they open the platform up sufficently, then 3rd parties will develop the software almost assuradly. The productivity software I speak of isn't really about input, just output. It would be just a reader that pulls its data either from the internet or your home network. The point is that it's better then a piece of paper half of the time. I doubt that would have a huge development cost. In fact, it could already be provided via the browser, but that's at the mercy of an internet connection. A dedicated client could store the data locally when disconnected.

Also, the storage could be done using flash memory like you said, but then the problem becomes price. The 4GB models you speak of sell for about $120CAD already.

Back