The Official Metal Gear Online thread

They just send you an email and you have to click the link. Then you will have a new set of agreement to sign.
There is no CC info submission etc, so they can not really charge you anything

Aye I understand....but they're not going to say "you must pay this, or you will not be able to play MGO in the future" are they?

Edit: Haha, after all that...it won't let me accept those terms - I now get an error. And my patch download stopped with a Network error. No idea how far it got in 2 hours...meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not read the agreement :) But either it will cost to play MGO when it is released or it will not :D

Did you email the address in the saga dvd or directly to konami support? I emailed both but Konami support answered me in 1 day.

To Konami. I got an automated response, but nothing with a key yet. I sent them my partial key. I just want to play before I get deployed. :( I wont be here for the release, so this is all Ill get for over a year.

Beta officially delayed. Due obviously to "unexpected" demand placed on the servers. That's what closed (open) betas are for though, as I see it. If they can't handle the server demand of a limited run beta, then they know they could never handle the demand of the full release. Should be a good learning experience for them.

Beta officially delayed. Due obviously to "unexpected" demand placed on the servers. That's what closed (open) betas are for though, as I see it. If they can't handle the server demand of a limited run beta, then they know they could never handle the demand of the full release. Should be a good learning experience for them.
The thing was a free download on the PSN. You didn't need any signing up or registering pre-release interest. So I'm surprised they could be surprised! You only get a percentage of downloaded demos being converted to sales. Working that in reverse, if you expect 1 million sales of your game, you'd need to expect maybe 5 million demo users.

They may not have seen such strong interest in PS3 online gaming in that part of the world. Good to give them a wake up call if true.

The thing was a free download on the PSN. You didn't need any signing up or registering pre-release interest. So I'm surprised they could be surprised! You only get a percentage of downloaded demos being converted to sales. Working that in reverse, if you expect 1 million sales of your game, you'd need to expect maybe 5 million demo users.

Was only free donwload in Europe, non?

I don't think it unreasonable to expect a million MGO buyers in the EU, which would probably amount to 5 million demo players. We've no idea what Konami were aiming for to know if MGO is blowing out all sane expectations with 10 million players, or if they just aimed very low with less than a million.

What I don't understand is why does Sony allow these Konami ID's and Game ID's. Wouldn't it be easier to use the nickname's like all the other games. What if all developers start doing this. Your going to end up with ten's of ID's. All a little different because your last name was taken or it needs a number it or simply a longer or shorter name. I guess MGO is to important for Sony, so they are not going do anything Konami may not like.

Well... I think it's part of Konami's business strategy and existing marketing platform. So out of autonomy and PSN's open platform mantra, it'd be incorrect to intervene. Konami needs to learn and evolve anyway.

Does the final game use the same convoluted process ? If so, it may be under reviewed for its next major update.

I don't thinks its really that convoluted. It only appears that way because the servers are borked. To get to my Halo 3 stats online, I need a Windows Live ID linked to my GamerTag. This seems to be pretty much the same thing.

What I don't understand is why does Sony allow these Konami ID's and Game ID's. Wouldn't it be easier to use the nickname's like all the other games. What if all developers start doing this. Your going to end up with ten's of ID's. All a little different because your last name was taken or it needs a number it or simply a longer or shorter name. I guess MGO is to important for Sony, so they are not going do anything Konami may not like.

Konami have Sony by the balls...they can do whatever they like. "If you don't allow our ID's Sony, MGS4's going to the Wii!"

I haven't seen an online game who's servers weren't borked on day 1.

Sony' open platfrom has only shown a few times where its proven to be better that a closed platfrom, but I also see many things where its far worse. A few ground rules should make for a far better experience to the end user.

And this should also effect Konami. How many casual games aren't going to make it through the update and registration process. Their first experience with this game is going to be a bad one, which might effect sales. They haven't even given a new beta release date. So they probably don't know how big the problem is. I won't be suprised if the american and european beta get cancelled all together.

I haven't seen an online game who's servers weren't borked on day 1.

Sony' open platfrom has only shown a few times where its proven to be better that a closed platfrom, but I also see many things where its far worse. A few ground rules should make for a far better experience to the end user.

And this should also effect Konami. How many casual games aren't going to make it through the update and registration process. Their first experience with this game is going to be a bad one, which might effect sales. They haven't even given a new beta release date. So they probably don't know how big the problem is. I won't be suprised if the american and european beta get cancelled all together.

The new date is the 25th.

This isn't a demo. This is a Beta.

Konami really messed things up with this beta...
First the patch issues, then the registration issues, and now the beta has been delayed.
Oh, well...at least we didn't have to pay for anything. :)

First wasnt the patch issues. You cant get the patch, without a code. First was the 9 digit codes from Gamestop. How many thousands got screwed like I did by that?

Still no reply to me, looks like Ill have to resort to ebay to get one. :sigh:

Back