The Official Metal Gear Online thread

patsu

Legend
*Mod note: As this game is distinct from MGS4, here's a thread for it spawned from the other MGS4 thread, including prelimary comments without substance. If you looking for the meat of the discussion, spin on a few post ;)*

Metal Gear Online beta can be downloaded now.

Yeah, I am also looking for EU beta, but is it really confirmed we get it for free? Sounds like a wishfull thinking to me.

According to a finnish gaming site, europeans get metal gear solid open beta, no questions asked, just download and have fun. =P

According to a finnish gaming site, europeans get metal gear solid open beta, no questions asked, just download and have fun. =P

According to Finnish? I expect this is their source http://www.ripten.com/2008/04/11/mgo-free-download-for-all-europeans-no-pre-order-needed/

Konami say so themselves

“Metal Gear Online Premiere Beta will be available as a free download on the Playstation Store from April 17th until May 6th.”

It's not on the Euro store, because the stores don't get new content until later today. Nothings changed - I don't understand why people are looking for it on the store now.

The Official Metal Gear Solid Online thread

I've downloaded the Beta at 740 MB. It comes with a trailer that's promising, hinting at team support functions like telling you where a request for help is coming from.

First thing the game wants is a patch to 1.01 through a peer-to-peer network, which is dog slow. 14 peers is giving me 40 KB/s, 3% after about 10 minutes. I suppose they want to test the patching mechanism which is why they have a 1.01 patch rather than release. They also test their users' patience! Also this makes me worry about the sort of service impact. UK ISPs generally don't like file-sharing use of their bandwidth. If running the game sets you up as a peer-to-peer node for the time you're playing, that may be enough of an impact for the ISPs to throttle-back usage.

I think I read they are actually using BitTorrent! Quite funny.

It seems though that you still also need to obtain a Konami GamerID or something? And that's right hard at the moment because that server is getting hammered.

Don't worry, those that weren't smart enough to get a GamerID from Konami are probably not going to play it yet for a while, as that server is now completely down due to being hammered. ;)

That'll come as quite a blow to a lot of folk downloading! I suppose they may have said something in the TnC I never read. Otherwise is wasn't made clear.

If they're using bittorrent, can't they use PC nodes? I've had only 15 clients supplying me data now since a fair while - I'm uploading faster than I'm downloading!

This is the site for the Konami ID you need - here - but as Shifty said it isn't working. I did manage to get the page to load earlier today but it still wouldn't let me register. Nice one Konami!

Just watched the trailer. Interesting gameplay from what I can gather. More emphasis on stealth (obviously) although it is dog ugly (IMO).

Back