The Game Technology discussion thread *Read first post before posting*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Crossbar

Veteran

The term he used was actually "hypothetical".

Which I interpreted as "NDA, wink wink nodge nodge". I think this was before the 96 kB xdr cache of the RSX was common knowledge.
    Edit: Just checked, yes it was.

#661 Crossbar, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  2. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

Not really skipped but read with a discerning eye for the nuances. My quote is a very specific context of how the engine runs on the consoles and the fidelity of their AI and Physics threads @ 120Hz and why this was why the Renderer @ 30Hz was sufficient.

In your quote there is more PR and hyperbole and generalities. He mentioned a very loose number "running at around" and didn't say the updates or threads were running at 400Hz, but "parameters" where when specifically talking about frequency updates of threads (AI and Physics) he mentioned 120Hz and 30Hz for the render thread. And it doesn't surprise me, considering how daft some of their PRing was (seemed as bad as Shane Kim ignorant of his OWN software announcements!) in regards to the landscape of the market, that their message was tweaked post-comment. It doesn't look good when you are marketing half the framerate and one-third the physics updates.

The devil is in the details. Shift may have more going on per-update so even at fewer udpates does more. Or maybe EA was able to build a multiplatform engine with more cars than Forza on track AND do more detailed modeling at the same rate (sure does NOT play like it). Your quote shows obvious signs of marketing FUD, though, with the comment "unlimited threads" on consoles. Pretty much a throwaway comment--don't you agree? The transition from a very specific 120Hz for Physics Threads / 30Hz Rendering Threads on the consoles to general "parameters" "around" 400Hz in conjunction with "unlimited threads" should give you an idea of how EA was reacting. One is a little more specific and technical than the other :wink: But who am I to argue with the Maximum PC Due :lol:

Anyhow, enjoy your 30Hz console game :wink:

3. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

That seems to be a significantly selective use of quoting as he says, "I'm not advocating Xenos or RSX" immediately prior to his comment.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1355007&postcount=627

Anyhow, unless you can show this small cache being utilized for such tiling (do you even know it is possible??) and that this wouldn't destroy FlexIO traffic you are pretty beating a dead horse.

Better suggestion on PD: They are awesome developers (top 1%) who have spent 5 years working and refining their renderer.

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Ofcourse he says parmeters as you wouldn't do 360Hz update rate for track object physics. It's not a global value and I doubt it is for any racing game. And physics parameters are what defines the cars physics.

Much like Turn 10? PR is always tinted in some way or part for most if not all dev houses. "car polys, best ever, etc hint: Dan), "only game with 360Hz physics as far as we know" etc... :lol:

And neither should it as Forza 3 aint the reference! Reality is!

However the interview with the ~400Hz comment was made in July and the one with 120Hz was made in May. Development improvements?

Actually I play it on PC so it is solid 60fps for me but thanks... and 800Hz tick rate! :razz:

#664 Neb, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  5. ihamoitc2005

Veteran

5 years? I don't know if this is accurate my friend.

How long after PD has PS3 dev-kit did we see GT Prologue?

6. ihamoitc2005

Veteran

Wow you a real sim fan. This is great to see that you are not fooled by marketing by any company.

Do you have a wheel to try pro-mode of Shift? How is it to drive?

Thank you.

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I answered in the Shift thread as this thread is for other mathers! :)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1351691&postcount=126

Mod : Thank you! Nice to see the board actually managing itself! :mrgreen:

#667 Neb, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2009
  8. Crossbar

Veteran

I am confused, didn´t I include exactly that quote?
    I appreciate his attempt of staying clear of the versus debate and stick to the technical matters, but it didn´t work very well, did it?

If they choose to use the FlexIO for this how would it "destroy" it? You may be right that I may be beating a dead horse, but having a render buffer on the XDR side is not that uncommon from what I read, Guerilla Games (probably more devs as well) are doing post-processing on the SPUs and they cannnot possibly be reading fromm DDR3 memory given the ridicilous bandwidth assigned to that, I think even the PhyreEngine have libs for SPU post-processing.

By looking at this developer screen at PD it seems like they are no strangers to rendering tiles.
    http://download.gameblog.fr/images/jeux/0/TGS09_POLYPHONYDIGITAL_80.JPG

Must admit I have no idea why the screen looks like this. Maybe they are benchmarking different shader programs against each other, looking for visual artefacts, collecting execution statistics etc. Maybe this is standard procedure during development, maybe some dev can give some better insight.
    Anyways given the tiles in the picture they are in the proximity to what nAo suggests and would fit well within the xdr cache of the RSX.

Sure, but they are not magicians they must use some pretty smart tricks that no one else or at least very few are doing.

#668 Crossbar, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2009
  9. ihamoitc2005

Veteran

10. Crossbar

Veteran

720p = 720 x 1280 - > 80 x 80 tile
    1080p = 1080 x 1920: GT5 Prologue upscaled 1080x1280 -> 120 x 80 tile
    GT5 HD upscaled 1080x1440 -> 120 x 90 tile

The screen in the picture is a highend Bravia (old model), pretty sure it´s a 1080p screen, but it doesn´t really matter as it accepts 720p input as well.

Edit: damn you folks are quick, I discovered the error myself within a minute. :smile:

#670 Crossbar, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  11. SonComet

Newcomer

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

GT5P was 1280x1080 2XAA per this forum.

12. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Here is a Guerillas presentation about what the SPUs are doing in KZ2, it's pretty interesting and result is pretty neat indeed. Post processing is done at a quarter of the resolution 640x360 therender buffer is indeed in Xdram, bandwidth is not an issue SPU are compute bound. It sounds like thing are even better now than they were when KZII shipped.

13. ihamoitc2005

Veteran

Wow. That is a great information my friend. It is unfortunate that Linux is no longer able on PS3.

I wonder if anyone has made rendering benchmark for Cell.

ps.
    That is a very large document. Amazing file size.

14. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Well, just on Slims though. It's still running on mine. ;)

15. N_B

N_B
    Regular

This is just a question to Joker454 or anyone else who may be able to enlighten me :)

In a lot of multiformat games the 360 version is not v-synced while the PS3 version is. Why? Usually this means that in places were the PS3 version drops frames, the 360 tears instead. Even if the PS3 version would tear a whole heap more, isn't framerate always more important than image integrity? I'm guessing the answer is more involved than what I'm thinking but I'm still curious.

I'm talking games like Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5 etc.

16. assurdum

Veteran

You missed a long discussions some time ago ... there are different theories about that: vsync on the ps3 prefered to simple double buffer, because that cause more tearing compared to 360 and maybe a better propensity to get triple buffer on the ps3 hardware. So some developers seems to prefer image integrity to fps in the ps3 version.

#676 assurdum, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  17. thambos

Newcomer

Is there a reason the PC version of MW2 is missing things that are in the console versions?

Example: PC & 360

source

18. Dr. Nick

Regular

What is the minimum video card requirement?

19. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I could check later on though who knows what settings they used or even if they restarted game after changing settings...

SM3.0 256Mb VRAM 6600GT/1600XT, single core AMD A64 3200+/P4 3.0GHz.

#679 Neb, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  20. semitope

Banned

btw it looks like the game IS a 360 port going by what users are posting is present in the game exe and console. Lots of xbl references. So possible they just took out things for the worst case scenario and left given everything would look better on a higher end system with higher res and better aa + textures even with things missing.