The First Game that reach CG quality?

Impossible* said:
They still had CG endings. The intro and middle were comic book style, but the ending was CG.
Oh my mistake then, I can only remember seeing cg movies for the begginning. I'll have to pop in Tekken 5 tonight and give it some go rounds.

Anyways...anybody remember this from e3?
scei2_11.jpg

Thats probably one of the most impressive things ive seen rendered in real time, on console hardware atleast. Maybe toward the end of ps3's life we will get titles that have the fedelity of that? Who knows.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5400/24zy.jpg
its almost creepy lol

Last edited by a moderator:
tema said:
Why wait towards the end of ps3 life? Alfred Molina was all beta kits. ;)
True, but if you wanna put something like that in a game, you might want more than just a nice head, atleast a whole body with an actual environment? ;)

Thread Pruned

The thread was pruned from the complete off-topic posts.
Keep on topic, folks. ;)

Also, for thoses posting pics, remember that images larger than 800x600 have to be posted as links or thumbnails.

Resident evil 5, project offset"at least the engine can do it", 2 days to vegas, the getaway.

maybe Carmack's next engine?

ultragpu said:
Resident evil 5, project offset"at least the engine can do it", 2 days to vegas, the getaway.

maybe Carmack's next engine?
RE5 and 2 Days to Vegas were CGi already. ;)

Project Offset in no more impressive than, say, UE3.0. It's an engine programmed by one coder only, in an appartement. Well, now it seems they have a second programmer though.

Bad_Boy said:
Anyways...anybody remember this from e3?
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_11.jpg
Thats probably one of the most impressive things ive seen rendered in real time, on console hardware atleast. Maybe toward the end of ps3's life we will get titles that have the fedelity of that? Who knows.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5400/24zy.jpg
its almost creepy lol

You won't get it unless you don't want the rest of the environment to look on par or big. There is a limited pool of memory to deal with here. ;)

There's thar clip of Lair (by factor 5)...the one with the dragon...which they claimed that footage was all "in game"...i've seen it at gamtetrailers.com...it looks quite good and i would say that it's nearing or maybe even around the proximity of CG...if anyone wants to see it but can't find the trailer i can upload it for ya :)

IMO, western developer tend to use alot of shortcuts such as low poly and high texture and shader so i dont see them making game that are near CG quality next gen, but i do hope some use high poly for their game as this is the fundamental requirement for CG movies.

rosman said:

I was somewhat impressed by Capcom's Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, but in no way do the in-game visuals look anything like CGI.

we need the power of REAL multi-Teraflop consoles (heh) like XB3-PS4 with many billions of polygons/sec, tens of gigapixels/sec, Shader 6.0 spec, global illumination, at least 16x FSAA and true 3D motion blur (and other things) plus gigabytes of RAM, before we get CGI in realtime gameplay.

btw, I am also a fan of Blizzard's CGI for Warcraft. awesome stuff ^__^ .... renderable in realtime only on PS4 haha.

but we are less than 10 years away from that. maybe 6-7 years.

Well if Killzone was indeed real-time, and if that Geurilla rep was right in saying the game is running at 30FPS right now looking just as good as the E3 footage then yeah, Killzone would be the first game to hit CGI quality visuals in-game.

Other then that, I think Square-Enix will be the first company to trully break that barrier with FFVII remake or FFXIII, whichever they decide to do first. They have always had the ability to push the Playstation hardware to its limits fairly early and that FFVII tech demo proved they could create CGI quality visuals in real-time. That or the next fighting game, Tekken 5 probably. Fighting games should look stunning in this generation considering its only 2 fighters ( same with boxing games or tennis games ) going at it.

How about motorstorm then?
http://www.ps3updates.com/motorstorm_2D20050516073449374.jpg
http://www.ps3updates.com/motorstorm_2D20050519095634704.jpg

Like sure, some parts might not be fully detailed but it's got awesome effects, like the car getting demolished or the ground deformation and even dirt flying up on the cars. Man that game looks fun, can't wait! :)

Formula one looks good too.
http://www.ps3updates.com/formula_2Done_2Dps3_2D20050516075521647.jpg

Or the Lots of Ducks demo, now that's some high quality h2o! :devilish:

I think untill hardware is fast enough to have real time raytracing it's always going to be a noticable difference cg and games

pegisys said:
I think untill hardware is fast enough to have real time raytracing it's always going to be a noticable difference cg and games

Well hasn't sony been talking quite much about ps3 doing ray tracing? Btw that fifth phantom saga looks to have quite nice shadows, is that ray tracing? It does look kinda like the shadows in the raytracing q3 demo made by a kluster of amd's.

I mean this trailer:
http://www.kikizo.com/viewer/vidvie...o_hd_ps3_sonicteam_fifthphantomsaga_sep05.wmv

pegisys said:

Why do I remember most CG movies at least using "traditional rasterizing" instead of ray tracing?

we dont need raytracing to have CGI level graphics - even modern highend highbudget CGI graphics.

we do need vastly better lighting. vastly more complex models. more & better AA.
true motion blur. high res textures or better pixel shaders

Why would you not believe anything Sony showed?

Oh wait lemme guess, the E3 Demos for the PS2 that were SURPASSED by the games only a year later.

Blah, you people sometimes kill me. Show me a game that looks as good as Toy Story 2 on the Xbox, Bill Gates in a Wired Magazine interview said the Xbox was capable of that :devilish:

There are some very important uses of raytracing in highend CGI, but in every case, it is a very limited, speed-oriented application, instead of full-blown raytracing.
Examples are:
- Ambient occlusion; used to calculate the very soft shadowing effect on ambient light sources. It can replace some aspects of global illumination.
It basically shoots out a number of rays from randomly distributed points on the object's surface, and checks if they reach another surface within a certain range. The percentage of rays that hit something defines how much of the ambient light is occluded out at the given point.
- Reflection occlusion; used to calculate where the enviroment's reflections are blocked out by the object itself. It replaces full-blown raytraced blurry reflections (a simple enviroment map is used instead).
It kind of takes the object as completely black, and the enviroment as completely white, then calculates a blurry reflection. Where the object reflects itself, and thus occludes the enviroment, it'll be black, the rest remain white; this image is then used to mask the reflection on the object. Reflection occlusion is view-dependent.
- Subsurface scattering; the effect of light bouncing around inside an object. Quite complicated, compared to the other two...

As far as I know there's no way to fully replace these effects without raytracing; but 'fake' effects are already developed for realtime renderers.

Back