The First Game that reach CG quality?

dantruon

Regular
no is not on a xbox360 or ps3 yet but rather on arcade, Virtual Fighter 5 look the closest to be of CG quality in term of character model. Check the screens below and discuss intelligently.

sub_lau_p03.jpg

sub_akira_p01.jpg

sub_lau_p01.jpg

Souces: http://www.the-magicbox.com/0512/game051216e8.shtml

I'd say the first game to look cg quality was probably DOA2 on the DC. First time I thought, wow these gphx look like cg, albeit low-quality cg, but cg nonetheless.

zidane1strife said:
I'd say the first game to look cg quality was probably DOA2 on the DC. First time I thought, wow these gphx look like cg, albeit low-quality cg, but cg nonetheless.

++

I still play it on my DC and amazed by its graphics. BTW, which was the first console game to use CG?

VF5 characters don't look particularly impressive. Well, thats a lie, its impressive, but PS3/X360 have characters that look similarly detailed. I think good DoF, realistic motion-blur and improved lighting are at a stage where you can fake alot of what makes CG good, but still, no comparison in the end.
Love_In_Rio said:
Apart from Lan Di's outfit, nothing looked close to even low-budget CG.

Define CG?

Are you refering to offline-renders as shown in animated movies like Pixars Toy-Story or rather offline-rendered cgi-game-sequences as in Final Fantasy 7, BioHazard etc? If its the latter, Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 already surpassed what impressed me most in PSX FMV sequences (BioHazard 2 stands out).

Even though next generation will show a huge jump, I'm not sure though that this generations FMV will be surpassed. Final Fantasy X still stands out and I doubt will have as much detail in in-game sequences.

CG is too vague of a term.
Because it could refer to the latest CGi movie and to Dire Straits's Money For Nothing video.

Personally the first time I told myself "Now, we're playing with game of CG quality!" was the first time I played both Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter (The first one, not the fifth). That was like "the future" right here right there.

The funny thing was that I also told myself, "there's no way we'll be playing with stuff of this quality at home before 5 year or so!". :LOL:

Phil said:
Define CG?

Are you refering to offline-renders as shown in animated movies like Pixars Toy-Story or rather offline-rendered cgi-game-sequences as in Final Fantasy 7, BioHazard etc? If its the latter, Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 already surpassed what impressed me most in PSX FMV sequences (BioHazard 2 stands out).

Even though next generation will show a huge jump, I'm not sure though that this generations FMV will be surpassed. Final Fantasy X still stands out and I doubt will have as much detail in in-game sequences.

yeah sorry guy for not been too specific, by CG i mean the CG of games on both the PS2 and xbox of this gen.

This is Tekken 5 CG character
920588_20040512_screen001.jpg

a thing that i really want to see in next gen fighting games, is complex cloth simulation(like aeris robe in the FFVII technical demo for ps3, if it was realtime). DOA4 still lacks this feature.

Karamazov said:
a thing that i really want to see in next gen fighting games, is complex cloth simulation(like aeris robe in the FFVII technical demo for ps3, if it was realtime). DOA4 still lacks this feature.

you totally miss the topic, check and re-try ;)

Lighting

dantruon said:
no is not on a xbox360 or ps3 yet but rather on arcade, Virtual Fighter 5 look the closest to be of CG quality in term of character model. Check the screens below and discuss intelligently.

sub_lau_p03.jpg

sub_akira_p01.jpg

sub_lau_p01.jpg

Souces: http://www.the-magicbox.com/0512/game051216e8.shtml

My friend I think VF5 has very nice graphics but many aspects missing for CGI quality. For one example, look at white pants and no light passing through pants although strong light is cast. So pants look almost like flexible solid structure, not hollow fabric structure.

While I agree that the game is looking good, those two character portraits have no relation with the ingame VF5 models, other than being renders of the same characters, that is.

What disappoints me is that some of the ingame models don't look like their prerendered counterparts at all, especially true in Sarah's case. Look at her face:

sub_sarah_p01.jpg

vf5.jpg

On the other hand, Pai looks superb.

On topic:

Well, not all PS2 and Xbox prerendered movie sequences have the same complexity. Some games, like FFXII or Rule of Rose have FMV sequences that show something that seems too complex for even next gen systems, while others like ZOE1 don't look that great. Overall, I don't think that any game has reached that level yet but I think that we will have something close to "CG quality" in big budget next gen games, at least for the cut scenes. Close enough to fool the average gamer? I don't know, but I've noticed people (even those who talk about graphics the whole day) have a hard time gauging what's going on on the screen and most of the time just react positively to the overall look or the actual content of the game. Also people downplay the importance of animation big time, which is key if you really want to bring a scene to life.

Shenmue seemed to be the first modern 3D game that was often mistaken for a concept render back when it was revealed in 1998. Coming from Metal Gear Solid and early Dreamcast software as the standards for cinematics and graphics at the time, the benchmark implied by the Shenmue footage felt extremely ambitious.

Back