The Complete List of PC Ray Traced Titles with Classification

Warhaven, released last month, supports RT Global Illumination and Reflections using UE4, but the game has 3 unique and interesting support options (timestamped in the video below).

RTR: ray traced reflections.
RTXGI: ray traced reflections + global illumination, but the function updates partially (according to the description of the game)
RTGI: uses UE final gather function instead of RTXGI

No idea what is the difference between the last two!

Hybrid RT translucency had been missing from the game. Now it looks as good as "Deliver us the Moon". Its a game playing in space. So without hybrid reflections it looked just wrong.

CapCom is planning a huge RT upgrade for their RE Engine, to improve denoising, improve RT Global Illumination, and introduce light importance sampling. Future CapCom titles will use the new RT enhancements.
Maybe they'll figure out how to implement DLSS in there too. Seems like a very hard thing as they can't do it apparently.

At 44 minutes he talks about GI. At the same time he talks about glossy and transparent reflections. Does that mean that Star Citizen will get RT GI as well as RT Reflections?

Star Citizen also needs raytracing shadows. The raster artifacts in the shadows annoy me.

The developer Pen Parry from the video left CIG 3 years ago and he came back about half a year ago. So you can come back again. It doesn't have to be goodbye forever.

The GI will enhance the game enormously. I am especially looking forward to the spaceships with cockpits and windows where the entering light will change the whole lighting. That will be fun. The 890 Jump has huge rooms and one even a gigantic window.

Last edited:
I could argue that raytracing looks awful, now before you all tell me i'm wrong let me explain.
What your seeing isnt just raytracing its raytracing plus a denoiser, disable the denoiser so you just see the raytracing and it looks like crap.

I could argue that raytracing looks awful, now before you all tell me i'm wrong let me explain.
What your seeing isnt just raytracing its raytracing plus a denoiser, disable the denoiser so you just see the raytracing and it looks like crap.
The newer denoisers are using temporal data to increase coverage right? It's kinda like saying a modern game looks bad if I could turn taa off, which you can't in most now. Or just using an upscale algorithm without it's temporal data.

CIG developer Pen Parry about RT in SC Spectrum forum

It's not in the schedule yet but I'm planning to make the argument for ray-traced DI as the next obvious step after we've handled glossy / transparent / volumetric GI to a shippable quality

Hi there @FloraHyranoss !
I can certainly resolve some confusion (I hope. Let me know if what I write below is incomprehensible).
GI-1.0 is a ray-traced Global Illumination technique, that is to say, it's responsible for calculating bounced light in the scene. It's capable of handling dynamic objects because it's constantly updating those 25,000 probes using ray queries into the live scene. The snippet you linked to is specifically me talking about the software fallback we're developing in tandem, which uses some of the setup we had for single probes per room, and uses that data instead of hardware ray-tracing. We originally created that software mode so we could start prototyping GI before the ray-tracing engine changes were finished, but the results were promising enough that we decided to see if it could be used as a low-spec/no-RT mode, or possibly as a cheap second/third/etc light bounce.
Ray-traced DI is Direct Illumination, which instead of handling bounced light would replace/supplement the tiled lighting and shadow map system we use to apply the main scene lights. The leading solutions for this use a lot of similar concepts but the problem is a slightly different shape: with GI you're firing rays all over the scene trying to work out where the light is, whereas with DI you already know where the lights are, but you're trying to choose which lights (and where on those lights) you want to sample. Ray-traced DI can be useful for efficiently handling shadows on very large numbers of small lights, and can give much more accurate soft shadows compared to traditional shadow maps.

Any time we're starting on a feature we'll look up what the latest papers are saying on the subject. A lot of times those papers aren't so useful because they're describing something that takes 30ms to render at 1080 resolution, and you have to go back a generation to find things that fit in your budget, but often (like this one) they're focused on immediately usable goals. While it might not always be so easy to say "this feature comes from this paper" you can be certain that a lot of paper-reading went into most features.
Gen12/Vulkan has definitely un-blocked us from doing this particular thing, since we wanted ray-tracing and you can't get that in D3D11. Funny of course, that now we're properly looking into it we've got a software mode that can run on D3D11, but the ability to start using these features has opened up exciting new possibilities.

1) You could make ray-traced shadows without RTDI, I think I remember seeing a paper about correctly combining an RT shadow with an analytic light source ages ago. Though I don't know if recent developments still make it the best option or not.
2) The engine-side support for ray-tracing is now there, and is being improved. That'll be needed for RTShadows/RTDI, but I think most of the GI system itself wouldn't be useful to it.
3) POM certainly complicates how you'd do things, it's true. I think while the POM decal is on-screen, screen-space (i.e. non-hardware) tracing would let you work your way up to the poly surface, then you could fire rays the rest of the way. When the POM decal is off-screen, things get unpleasant. I wouldn't say it's insurmountable but we'd need a bit of sitting around swearing and scratching our heads together before a proper solution emerged.

More

Lies of P for MacOS supports Raytracing:
i've been playing this a bit lately, When he said raytracing I then went and paid more attention during the settings part and are we sure this actually has RT reflections? because the menu just looks like the pc graphics menu and reflections seems to just go to high and there are no RT options labelled in the menu. I'm not seeing anything in the gameplay that looks different reflection wise to what i've been playing.

Back