The Complete List of PC Ray Traced Titles with Classification

Raytracing benchmarks are with upscaling. Dont think it looks good for RDNA3. 4090 is 62% faster than the 7900XTX and the 3080 is nearly as fast as the 7900XT.

Not sure why there are two 7900XTs in the charts, but it's interesting that they seem to show the clockspeeds the cards are running at.
Getting that 2.4GHz bumped to >3GHz should net close to 4080S performance which would be great.

Yeah probably Hardware Lumen, Like the other bloober Game
Yesterday's gameplay stream was a bit weird in this regard, there are lots of reflections there which shouldn't be seen as they should be hidden by fog. My immediate feeling was that it's just the usual Lumen s/w RT.

But watching it now they do look like real geo and not the SDF crap s/w Lumen show so yeah it's probably h/w RT.

Yesterday's gameplay stream was a bit weird in this regard, there are lots of reflections there which shouldn't be seen as they should be hidden by fog. My immediate feeling was that it's just the usual Lumen s/w RT.

But watching it now they do look like real geo and not the SDF crap s/w Lumen show so yeah it's probably h/w RT.
Ray Tracing hetereogenous Media is an open challenge, usually the colour from it is added in via Screen space, or If it is done through height fog of some sort, it can be faked Well enough.

Ray Tracing hetereogenous Media is an open challenge, usually the colour from it is added in via Screen space, or If it is done through height fog of some sort, it can be faked Well enough.

Rockstar managed it with RDR2 last gen, but I still don't totally understand how, all the clouds on water are perspective correct and traced from water hit according to their presentation on volumetrics.

Last edited:
Rockstar managed it with RDR2 last gen, but I still don't totally understand how, all the clouds on water are perspective correct and traced from water hit according to their presentation on volumetrics.
They do not take clouds account during SSR for water.
They do what should always be done, trace volumetrics seperately for reflection.

Same would fix the problem in Silent Hill.
As usual trace opaque world and save ray information. (Direction, distance to hit etc.)
Use same rays and trace against volumetrics and combine.

Last edited:
It appears that NVIDIA has upgraded the Star Wars Outlaws game from tay tracing to path trecing, as the game will now support ray traced reflections, shadows, direct illumination and global illumination, as well as DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction.

No mention of path tracing in there. Sounds like they just upgraded the RTXDI & reflections denoiser to use RTX ray reconstruction. GI is probably probe based like Avatar as there’s no mention of per-pixel or multi bounce GI.

sounds like they just upgraded the RTXDI & reflections denoiser to use RTX ray reconstruction
In the previous announcement, ray traced reflections wasn't there, only RT shadows, RTXDI and RTGI, and we wondered why it wasn't called path tracing? the lack of ray traced reflections was the distinction.

But now RT reflections are in, and the presence of ray traced probe GI is no barrier for the implementation to be called path tracing, since Cyberpunk initially used probe based RTXGI in it's path tracing implementation. And since the game is using RTXDI already, I guess this qualifies it to be called path traced. Why wouldn't it? it's not doing anything less than other path traced games.

In the previous announcement, ray traced reflections wasn't there, only RT shadows, RTXDI and RTGI, and we wondered why it wasn't called path tracing? the lack of ray traced reflections was the distinction.

But now RT reflections are in, and the presence of ray traced probe GI is no barrier for the implementation to be called path tracing, since Cyberpunk initially used probe based RTXGI in it's path tracing implementation. And since the game is using RTXDI already, I guess this qualifies it to be called path traced. Why wouldn't it? it's not doing anything less than other path traced games.

RT reflections aren’t required to claim path tracing as you’re not really tracing paths there. RestirGI is the closest Nvidia tech to path tracing as you’re actually doing per-pixel multi-bounce traces per frame. RTXDI barely qualifies since it’s a single bounce but has some importance sampling smarts that are a feature of a modern path tracer.

With respect to Outlaws doing less, there’s no indication it’s using per-pixel RestirGI.

Did Nvidia really claim CP2077 was path traced before it got ReSTIR? That’s not how I remember it.

I was under the impression that RTXDI handled shadows on its own. Is this not the case, or is "RT shadows" just a separate setting for users that don't turn on RTXDI, like the RT options CP2077 had before the RT Overdrive update?

RT reflections aren’t required to claim path tracing as you’re not really tracing paths there.
Ok dumb infrastructure guy question time: why aren't reflections calculated by tracing paths? That seems like the most correct way to generate / calculate / otherwise derive a proper reflection...

Ok dumb infrastructure guy question time: why aren't reflections calculated by tracing paths? That seems like the most correct way to generate / calculate / otherwise derive a proper reflection...

Well RT reflections are typically rendered with a single bounce which we don’t colloquially qualify as a “path”. Of course it’s technically a path starting from the rasterized g-buffer of the reflective surface to the reflected object to the light source. If a game were to implement a house of mirrors with nested reflections that would certainly qualify as path tracing but I don’t know of any game that does.

In Nvidia marketing material they seem to use a few criteria to determine something is “path traced”.

1. The calculation is done on a per-pixel basis.
2. Direct lighting is calculated via RT (RT shadows doesn’t do this)
3. Indirect lighting is calculated via multi-bounce RT

Given no mention of “path tracing” in the Outlaws marketing blurb I’m speculating that the “raytraced GI” is probe based and therefore didn’t satisfy criteria #1 or #3. Nvidia wouldn’t casually pass up an opportunity to claim another path traced game.

Not that I'm interested in the game, but EA is using GIBS in EA SPORTS™ College Football 25. That has as much claim to being called pathtracing as RTXGI-SHARC.

Not that I'm interested in the game, but EA is using GIBS in EA SPORTS™ College Football 25. That has as much claim to being called pathtracing as RTXGI-SHARC.
GIBS? Is this the splatting stuff they showed off years back or?

Back