The challenges, rewards, and realities of a two tier console launch

Those rumours contradict. 4 TF for Lockhart, 1440p60, >10 TF for Anaconda, 2160p. Performance delta is way more than the resolution delta, meaning devs would have to cut back on Lockhart visuals, meaning the frame targets aren't any sort of targets at all. Plus a slow CPU on Lockhart could mean different game experiences.

The only dual combo is the idea that ignores the 4 TF and 10 TF numbers and has Lockhart as a binned Anaconda.

Developers will simply treat Lockhart as the redheaded stepchild (i.e., the same way they do with XB1 original) and concentrate more resources on the premium systems visuals & performance profiles.

1440p is a bit of a weird choice? Why not just go for 1080p? Is it for better 4K upscaling results? Portable machine with 1440p screen? Is Lockhart the Switch Pro? ;P

1440p is a bit of a weird choice? Why not just go for 1080p? Is it for better 4K upscaling results? Portable machine with 1440p screen? Is Lockhart the Switch Pro? ;P

1440p with temporal injection (4K) looks quite good. Spider-Man on the PS4 Pro is a good example of this.

I don't buy the 4TF figure either. Surely they'd want the PR of their entry level next-gen console being able to run games at a higher quality, or at least as high, as their last-gen premium console.

I'd expect a split more along the lines of:
  • Anaconda = 48CU's @ 2GHz = 12.3TF
  • Lockhart = 40CU's @ 1.4GHz = 7.2TF
Same CPU and a slight difference in memory amount and bandwidth.

A pretty big gulf in CU count and clockspeed to salvage the maximum amount of SoC's/GPU's.

I don't buy the 4TF figure either. Surely they'd want the PR of their entry level next-gen console being able to run games at a higher quality, or at least as high, as their last-gen premium console.

I'd expect a split more along the lines of:
  • Anaconda = 48CU's @ 2GHz = 12.3TF
  • Lockhart = 40CU's @ 1.4GHz = 7.2TF
Same CPU and a slight difference in memory amount and bandwidth.

A pretty big gulf in CU count and clockspeed to salvage the maximum amount of SoC's/GPU's.
If Lockhart is next gen entry for 1080/1440p people, there is no need for anything above 5TF IMO. 4.5TF and 10TF is my opinion.

My man, you greatly under-estimate the nonsense PR can produce! :LOL: Of course it's not just about the number of teraflops, compared to current gen any new console is come to come with so many GPU architectural improvements that it's nothing like a like-for-like comparison. That said, I'm not buying 4Tf either - unless Microsoft are aiming for the ultra-budget market.

If Lockhart is next gen entry for 1080/1440p people, there is no need for anything above 5TF IMO. 4.5TF and 10TF is my opinion.

Agree. Most of the GPU processing power goes to rendering the pixels for 1080p/1440p 4-5TF will be sufficient.

Releasing Lockhart based on salvaged chips may allow them to release Anaconda at a lower price as well as the overall yield should be pretty good.

I don't think anyone on these (or any gaming) forums is the target for lockhart.
No, I wouldn't rule out an AppleTV-like mini-box. I don't think Microsoft have nothing in this bracket and they are ceding this small, but seemingly lucrative, product segment of the living room to Google, Amazon and Apple.

Back