Tecmo Pres Praises Xbox Next , slams sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tecmo's the publisher isn't it? Team Ninja is the specific developing...team... behind DOA/NG.

Obviously Tecmo isn't on the same league as Konami, Namco, SquareEnix, EA, Koei and some others in Sony's eyes.
They are not "key" to PS3 success as those companies obviously are, and maybe Sony wants to control the launch (and some time after that) software lineup more closely, that's why they're supporting mainly their key partners at start.

If Tecmo launched a DOA game for PS3 at launch, while Namco launched Tekken 6, the Tecmo game would surely suffer in sales because of strong competition.
Same with Tecmo PS3 Fatal Frame game and Konami's Silent Hill.
A PS3 Rygar game... that's just not strong enough franchise for launch.

Sony seems to want well known, proven franchises for launch, that have become almost at one with PlayStation brand. Tecmo does not have such strong names, so why should Sony treat Tecmo with exclusive support as they do with those others.
Or maybe Microsoft is just closer to completing the xbox2 design.

Alstrong said:
Tecmo's the publisher isn't it? Team Ninja is the specific developing...team... behind DOA/NG.

Right, I confuse those all the time. Team Ninja is a kick ass studio IMO.

Cheers
Gubbi

rabidrabbit said:
Obviously Tecmo isn't on the same league as Konami, Namco, SquareEnix, EA, Koei and some others in Sony's eyes.
They are not "key" to PS3 success as those companies obviously are, and maybe Sony wants to control the launch (and some time after that) software lineup more closely, that's why they're supporting mainly their key partners at start.
If Sony specifically wants to reduce the influence of Xbox 2 in Japan, a quick way is to pay Tecmo to make it betray MS. It's assumed that among Japanese companies Tecmo and Mistwalker (the company of FF's Sakaguchi) can produce some titles for Xbox 2, then taking one of its pillars off will cause an inmeasurable effect. Therefore, the Tecmo President can open his big mouth saying "we are expensive ;) ;) "

Alstrong said:
Tecmo's the publisher isn't it?

No Tecmo is a developer/publisher that has some development pipelines. Team Ninja is nothing but Itagaki + personnel available at given time in Tecmo.

Evil_Cloud said:
I wonder, will it make a big/key difference for Microsoft and Nintendo when they launch around the same time as Sony?

Could the market split up in three equally large chunks for all three companies?

I wouldn't say equally .

But i would say things will be much better for ms this time around .

I would say sony would end up with a 40-50% stake .

Ms with around 30-40% then nintendo with the rest

I'm really hoping that nintendo and ms are putting out the same system but are just waiting for a big moment to announce it . That way we can see 50% / 50% even split of the market . Which would be the best for everyone .

rabidrabbit said:
Oddworld is not a Tecmo game

No, i mean the Oddworld hype before Xbox, how they had to "switch development fromPS2 to Xbox" praising Ms's platform, starting the "ps2 is doomed, all devs will switch to Xbox" hype, then released a game that was utter crap... What's his name, Larry something...

Larry Lonning

But the new Oddworld game (exclusively for xbx, though it was supposed to also come for PS2 until they said PS2 would not be able to run it as it is, which may be quite true) looks interesting enough, maybe not AAA material, but better than average.

The latest issue that I have (the one with a cover of Mario head made from tiny DS's) only has a preview of Oddworld. And their website says next issue comes 25th January.
Where did you get the 9 score from?

arhra said:
Lorne Lanning.

And the new Oddworld game got a 9 in the latest Edge, fwiw.

Edge, the former most professional magazine in the videogaming world. Bought out and made into a stylish Gamepro. Nice.

london-boy said:
arhra said:
Lorne Lanning.

And the new Oddworld game got a 9 in the latest Edge, fwiw.

Edge, the former most professional magazine in the videogaming world. Bought out and made into a stylish Gamepro. Nice.

Not to forget they replaced the entire editorial staff. ;

I still like almost everything besides their reviews and previews though. ;)

function said:
There sure is a lot of hate out there for Tecmo and Oddworld ...

They're people who make average games (apart from Ninja Gaiden), sell very few copies of them, and think they're in the position to voice their opinions on the market.

If EA were to bitch about someone, at least you could say they're in the position to do so. They own most of the market. Tecmo are just making themselves look like the kids who complain about not having enough chocolate in their birthday cake.

I'm not talking about Tecmo--they do good stuff. (At least I'm not talking about Team Ninja.) I'm just talking about DoA, which is not really a power license of any sort, and seems to be going on a slip-sliding scale down despite ever-higher production value boobies. ;) (Well, high production values in general. Hehe...)

Basically, they have to liven things up. Even Mortal Kombat came back out of relative obscurity (and IMHO worse gameplay, though they are both low on the scale) to sell surprisingly well across multiple platforms.

It seems "fun + boobies" is enough to sell a couple hundred-thousand nowadays, but to tap more and be a real supportive license, they're going to have to offer more substance.

I wonder how much of the DoA xbox sales in Japan were of those special editions where you got the gir-pillow-thing with you (to take in bed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back