Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hecatoncheires

Newcomer

"Cernynator" would be great for the PS4 GPU! Hasta la Vita, Baby! :lol:

2. mosen

Regular

Also for games. maybe they means 2D games or something else, I don't now.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/23/4359450/xbox-one-will-support-4k-output-resolution-and-3d

3. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

No, it's 30 fps for the standard UHDTV resolution (which is QuadHD).

Still, the timing for HDMI 2.0 is a bit tight but not impossible.

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

5. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I'm more interested if it it will support 1080p60 in 3d (ie. effectively 1080p120). That's the format we really need for stereoscopic gaming at the moment.

6. Bagel seed

Veteran

The graphics would be too gimped. A clean 720p120 would do nicely imo. Which if the rumored 1080p60 fps PS4 versions become reality, could meet that target.

7. Mitchings

Newcomer

I agree.

However, if they were to be compared I'd say Xbox One has a more showy trailer along with boosted contrast/saturation.

PS4 however has more natural lighting and effects. The polygons are also far less obvious (if at all).

8. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Sony has already said the DS4 features "enhanced rumble" but I don't know that they've gone into too much detail on that...

9. Lalaland

Regular

From the DF article on Sony's GDC talks

No mention of additional motors just greater programmability for what's there already.

10. XpiderMX

Veteran

Do we know how much resources are reserved for system in PS4?

11. warb

Veteran

Nothing official I think, but it seems likely it will match XB One, at least to begin with, because they can't take more away later. KZ SF tech slides have it using a bit less than 5GB, as MS have available for X1

12. XpiderMX

Veteran

I guess that the "7GB for games" is only a rumor.

13. Tap In

Legend

Speaking of the controllers

interesting breakdown on the ONE controller

also lab technician on reveal show said there was a 15% communication speed improvement over 360

14. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I don't get how 50% higher specs translates to 100% higher framerate? Assuming both consoles are clocked the same, the basic argument should be more 40 vs 60fps (or 30 vs 45) at the same res, or different resolutions at the same framerate, no? I don't doubt certain techniques may favor once architecture over another, but I'm just going on basic GPU specs.

If we're all just exaggerating for effect, then ignore me and carry on. :razz:

15. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

AFAIK, not even GG knew about the upgrade to 8GB until fairly recently. 3GB of GDDR5 dedicated to the OS seems excessive. When the PS4 was rumored to have 4GB of GDDR5, the rumor was just 512MB for the OS. After we knew it was going to be 8GB, the new rumor was that 7GB would be available for developers. 1GB seems more likely to me... 2 at the most.

16. Scott_Arm

Legend

I think they're going by the ROP count (16 vs 32), assuming double the fillrate will double framerate if all else remains equal.

17. Bagel seed

Veteran

They may push for 1080p vertical res only, or a dynamic resolution to get closer to 60 fps. Maybe it could be a toggle in the menu settings too. "HFR mode - Slightly lower resolution at times, but improved frame rate".

When gaming on PC, I find anything above 30fps makes a huge difference in controls and feels. Would definitely appreciate if PS4 versions made this happen, even if not a locked 60.

18. (((interference)))

Veteran

I don't think they're really going to reserve 3 GB for the OS, 2GB max should be fine- they're not running Windows simultaneously with the Game OS or anything like that. Nor do they need memory for Kinect voice and skeletal tracking databases.

And MS does all of what they're currently doing in 2GB, the remaining 1GB is only reserved for future use and not being currently used for anything.

So I really don't see why Sony will match them on the memory reservation when their OS seems more lightweight and their vision for the device is more focused than MS' all encompassing entertainment box.

19. astrograd

Regular

And what of the bandwidth necessary to actually feed those ROPs?

20. astrograd

Regular

Ok, and how would this exact same thing not be done on X1's display planes though? That's the entire reason they were designed based on the leak and the actual patent for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.