Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

The DLSS integration seems a bit busted, with the option you're selecting in the graphics settings changing after you exit out of the menu. Sometimes when I select Quality, it changes to Balanced. Every time I select DLAA, it changes to Ultra Performance.

I get the exact same thing. I've only tested in one very limited indoor section and then a brief outdoor run but I also get horrendous specular aliasing on the blood textures with DLSS at any setting - even DLAA. It's so bad I literally can't play with it on. I'd rather use FSR and have the rest of the image a bit more unstable I think.

This may be a fairly unique situation that I've just been unlucky enough to hit with my first test but in this state DLSS is unusable for me.

Frame gen on the other hand seems to work well. Native res + frame gen gave me reasonable frame rates in the outdoor area (around 90-100fps) although I suspect this will get much worse in the games heavier areas. As it stands though, due to the above mentioned specular issue this would probably be my preferred way to play. I hope this gets resolved before the final release.

I get the exact same thing. I've only tested in one very limited indoor section and then a brief outdoor run but I also get horrendous specular aliasing on the blood textures with DLSS at any setting - even DLAA. It's so bad I literally can't play with it on. I'd rather use FSR and have the rest of the image a bit more unstable I think.
Yeah I forgot to mention that. Some texture areas with liquids introduce terrible specular aliasing that's worse than anything FSR2 showed prior to this patch. FSR doesn't exhibit the same thing and other areas are much improved from previous. I'm glad this is a beta and they can do something with all the bad feedback they're going to get.

Starfield makes me want to play The Precursors which was sort of like Starfield but with added Euro Jank
Edit : but then again The precursors was pretty awful

And the weird thing is that cyberpunk2077 is much lighter to run than starfield. Despite it looks and sounds better, and with no loading.

Not sure what made starfield so heavy.

If it's the ability to save the location of each object you ever moved, cyberpunk2077 also used to do that too before CDPR patched it out in.... Uh... Update 1.5 or 1.6 iirc.

It's likely due to all non-scenery objects having physics attached to them which can be triggered by the player, NPCs and even other objects. If you look at other large open world games where that's the case (mostly indie games) you'll also see that regardless of whether those objects are moving or not as more of them are in a scene, performance gradually degrades. And there are far more non-scenery objects in Starfield than Cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk is an impressive engine but it's also a simpler engine doing simpler but more focused things than what Starfield is attempting to do. Both are great accomplishments, but both are focusing on completely different ways to utilize the CPU and GPU.

Additionally Cyberpunk has had a few years of after release optimizations (it runs much better now than it did at launch) to get performance up in a far simpler game. Starfield will likely see further optimizations as time goes on. Both games could certainly have used more optimization prior to launch.

Regards,
SB

I also think we lose sight of gameplay in these comparisons. I feel like I can do a lot more in Starfield than in CP2077.

Talk to me about wonky looking NPCs in Starfield when you can make your own Starships in Cyberpunk and have 10 NPC companions etc...

Both are great games btw.

Yeah, for example, you can decorate your own homes (or "outposts") in Starfield, but while CP2077 has many different homes for you to choose from, you can't really do much in any of them.
The streets in CP2007 is also quite sparse in functionality. One of the reason is that the Night City is so big. Cities in Starfield feel more crowded because many buildings actually have functions. This is also because cities in Starfield are much smaller.

DLSS does offer a crisper overall image in most regards versus AMD's alternative.

Both set to 67% render resolution, akin to Quality mode, the FSR and DLSS upscaled images are quite similar. You will find FSR struggles more with thin lines, especially those criss-crossed like you'll find at the top of these images, but generally they both shape up well.

When you set use a 50% render resolution with both upscalers, it's a different story. DLSS is clearly more defined and that tracks from both these still images and when you're actually moving around in-game.

Has anyone made a mod to revamp the space flight?

I just played freelancer again, looks like shit, but it flies so much better.

Has anyone made a mod to revamp the space flight?

I just played freelancer again, looks like shit, but it flies so much better.
Yeh there are a few actually but this one seems to be the best so far. Not freelancer yet but it's progress.

It happens. A lot of people prefer TLoU 1 over 2 and RDR 1 over 2 as well.

Not everything is going to appeal as broadly as Witcher 3 and Skyrim. Different challenges with Sci-Fi as well.

Are you sure he isn't referring to Gwent and Fallout 76?

In all seriousness though Skyrim wasn't BGS's previous game - Skyrim -> Fallout 4 -> Fallout 76.

It happens. A lot of people prefer TLoU 1 over 2 and RDR 1 over 2 as well.
I have yet to meet anybody who thought TLoU2's gameplay and mechanics were worse than the original, because they are better in every respect, it was the story that divided people. I much preferred the original The Last of Us story, but I also preferred Oblivion's main campaign over Skyrim but I still think Skyrim is the better game, even if it's generally considered a worse RPG. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back