Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Seems like vendors have (mostly) hidden chests for their inventory, a feature since at least Skyrim. I guess it’s simpler to manage everything the same way, rather than developing another data structure for unseen items? Does that mean there’s a hidden chest just off camera to accomodate the player’s backpack? :)

Seems like vendors have (mostly) hidden chests for their inventory, a feature since at least Skyrim. I guess it’s simpler to manage everything the same way, rather than developing another data structure for unseen items? Does that mean there’s a hidden chest just off camera to accomodate the player’s backpack? :)

I suspect Even our space ship probably doesn't really fly.

They’ve clearly done a fantastic job with the physics. Unfortunately I’ve only seen it used to render mountains of produce and avalanches of milk cartons.

Got my first real bug last night.
Left a planet surface, and the minute I got control back (after the lift-off cutscene), my ship was invisible and the controls, (along with everything else) didn't work...
Had to reload a previous save, because the autosave the game did right before, resulted in the same situation.
Felt right at home. :p

In case you wanted to know a few reasons on why Starfield is so unoptimized.

Vkd3d (the dx12->vulkan translation layer) developer has put up a change log for a new version that is about to be (released here) and also a pull request with more information about what he discovered about all the awful things that starfield is doing to GPU drivers (here).

Basically:

1. Starfield allocates its memory incorrectly where it doesn't align to the CPU page size. If your GPU drivers are not robust against this, your game is going to crash at random times.
  2. Starfield abuses a dx12 feature called ExecuteIndirect. One of the things that this wants is some hints from the game so that the graphics driver knows what to expect. Since Starfield sends in bogus hints, the graphics drivers get caught off gaurd trying to process the data and end up making bubbles in the command queue. These bubbles mean the GPU has to stop what it's doing, double check the assumptions it made about the indirect execute and start over again.
  3. Starfield creates multiple `ExecuteIndirect` calls back to back instead of batching them meaning the problem above is compounded multiple times.

Wow. That’s. Both great and terrible at the same time.

Just following through the git here most recent post:

Found the issue, was my own bug after all ;_; forgot to update indirect_meta after a split so we ended up missing some barriers.

I couldn’t follow along which changes he made though, hopefully fixed now. Curious to see if these work fine on AMD but break on nvidia. It’s nice to see we are finally at all execute indirect engines, but having issues like this would be bad. Big bubbles is a massive underutilization issue.

Last edited:
PSA : do not put the mining gun in the storage.

Some missions requires it, and you can't mind with other weapons. At least I hadn't able to.

---

Btw when I would experience engaging battles?

The battles I encountered are still very barebones with no set pieces, no smart AI.

The location of the battles also feels very claustrophobic. Even the battles in the open world also claustrophobic.

Kinda like call of duty corridor shooter dialed to 11, but without the set pieces whiz bang and drama scenes.

I couldn’t follow along which changes he made though, hopefully fixed now. Curious to see if these work fine on AMD but break on nvidia. It’s nice to see we are finally at all execute indirect engines, but having issues like this would be bad. Big bubbles is a massive underutilization issue.
Isn't this only really relevant for playing Starfield on the Steam Deck/Linux? vkd3d-proton really has nothing to do with running the game on Windows?

Isn't this only really relevant for playing Starfield on the Steam Deck/Linux? vkd3d-proton really has nothing to do with running the game on Windows?
I’m trying to figure out if this has similar behaviour on windows as well. It very well could be and no one noticed.

I'm confused. There's only 1 version of Starfield, a windows version.
So the issue he found was that execute indirect was being abused heavily to do some checking. He found this checking to be very inefficient on VK. So he had to rewrite it. I’m just curious if that checking is also super inefficient on DX and that’s something Bethseda needs to resolve.

So the issue he found was that execute indirect was being abused heavily to do some checking. He found this checking to be very inefficient on VK. So he had to rewrite it. I’m just curious if that checking is also super inefficient on DX and that’s something Bethseda needs to resolve.
Ah ok. What he found might be ok in DX, but is not in VK. Or could be very inefficient in both. Understood.

Maybe they'll fix it in Starfield Special Edition lol

Starfield | The Game's File I/O Is Holding Back The Rest Of Your PC​

A look at Starfield's file I/O and how it impacts storage and overall game performance.

NOTE: HWINFO64 was set to use a polling rate of 20ms, which is the lowest that it can be set. You will not see these disk usage figures in Task Manager, as the polling rate is not low enough. You need to use monitoring software that allows you to lower the polling rate sufficiently.

System specs:
➤ RX 6950 XT
➤ Ryzen 7 7700X
➤ 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5
➤ ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WiFi
➤ Crucial T700 SSD Gen5
➤ Seasonic Focus GX-1000
➤ Arctic Freezer 34 CO
➤ Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB
➤ Windows 11

I have 60 hrs in so far, I am on vacation. I have played in windows 11 and linux.
I get about 60 to 70 percent of the frame rate in linux, but it feels smoother. (7900XTX)

In windows I am running it on an NVME Samsung drive, in linux a cheap WD SSD.
The I/O issue does not seem to happen in linux, probably due to different file system.

Don't try to run this in linux with an nvidia card, it will crash on there latest driver,
and run at 10 to 20 FPS on older driver.

Man. This game is so good. Lol. Going into outpost design, going yo haul a shit ton of resources, and pump research and mods and just selling stuff as a profit. Just finally understood the research system. Crazy dense game.

So badly want a killer ship to smoke everyone

A user on Reddit posted on the Starfield subreddit that there was a problem in Starfield when running the game on an AMD Radeon GPU. The issue is very simple, the game just won't render a star in any solar system when you are at the dayside of a moon or even any planetary object. The issue only occurs on AMD Radeon GPUs and users with the Radeon RX 7000 & RX 6000 GPUs are reporting the same thing.

Back