Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I think the ongoing concern here is that ever since later into Skyrim's life Bethesda's increasingly explored the idea of monetizing modding and has done so, and what the end game that they might look to eventually push might be in that area (eg. the defacto standard ends up being mods are paid for).the
That could possibly be a concern for the official mod Store operated by Bethesda, but games delivered by other stores (Steam, Epic, GOG etc), there will always be an unofficial mod scene. Now that Bethesda are owned by Microsoft, I would hope that they do not go down the aggressive paid-for mod route because they can't be hurting for money now.

That could possibly be a concern for the official mod Store operated by Bethesda, but games delivered by other stores (Steam, Epic, GOG etc), there will always be an unofficial mod scene. Now that Bethesda are owned by Microsoft, I would hope that they do not go down the aggressive paid-for mod route because they can't be hurting for money now.

I hope you have the option of having a mod store where you can pay a small fee for the content knowing that everything is verified to work fine and then like nexusmods are now where its a free for all and you can just brick your game and have to reinstall from scratch. Be even better if it can cross check your mods and tell you if any are in conflict

Now that Bethesda are owned by Microsoft, I would hope that they do not go down the aggressive paid-for mod route because they can't be hurting for money now.
That's the entire game pass model though. Provide the base/cut-down game for free on GP and sell DLC and MTX through the store.

That's the entire game pass model though. Provide the base/cut-down game for free on GP and sell DLC and MTX through the store.
There is still a difference between janky mod content made by fans and continued content packs from Bethesda itself. I have been using mods in Bethesda games since Oblivion and the experience is really hit or miss with a lot of miss to put it nicely. I have to say tho the dagger fall unity port is pretty amazing

A few things clarified and expectations set that stood out for me.

1. Around one in ten planets (10%) have life.
2. there are no land or creature-based vehicles.
3. There is a space radio.
4. Four mainline quest characters can be romanced.
5. There is no space fishing(!).
6. You can scan/survey planets, which is worth a lot of money.
7. You can have an all-robot crew.
8. There are "a few bad creatures and one really bad one".
9. All ships, regardless of how acquired, can be upgraded.
10. Upgrading ship systems is simple, ship building is expensive and a late game mechanic.
11. Like ships, Outposts are a deep and expensive system. You can shuttle resources between outposts to generate economy.

Nice!

There is still a difference between janky mod content made by fans and continued content packs from Bethesda itself. I have been using mods in Bethesda games since Oblivion and the experience is really hit or miss with a lot of miss to put it nicely. I have to say tho the dagger fall unity port is pretty amazing
Oh yeah definitely. I'm just referring to the idea that they might not go this route because they're now part of MS. It's the opposite really, especially with game pass.

Oh yeah definitely. I'm just referring to the idea that they might not go this route because they're now part of MS. It's the opposite really, especially with game pass.

I think for the pc they will continue to let you do whatever but also allow you to install mods on a preapproved list in game . On xbox it will likely just be the in game mod shop and I would suspect the majority of it to be free unless its a very sizable install size and then there might be a charge or if the mod team wants to charge. But I think we might see Bethesda created story expansions for years after the release. Maybe every quarter but I think at least twice a year. Keep that money coming in and as Skyrim shows you can likely get a decade or more out of fans willing to continue to buy content for it.

I am hoping that Bethesda continues to optimize the game engine and performance however. Perhaps a few months after launch they can get performance of the current mode up for a higher native res and then create a performance mode closer to the current res for people who want it. Or maybe a 40fps for vrr panels

A hard lock down isn't the only issue. Mod creators are people and ultimately well people as a whole tend to follow the path of least resistance and have the same monetary interests as businesses (that they often complain about in terms of "greed").

If you remember back to when they initially tried this with Skyrim what happened is a significant amount of mods pulled the free versions for pay versions. Also the marketplace ended up being somewhat of a free fall with ownership (and IP stealing) questions with a lot of the mods that went up.

Bethesda doesn't have to force a lock down but a marketplace push will likely result in a situation in which the defacto standard ends up being that mods are no longer free. It should be also kept in mind that that there is legal questions with respect to charging for mods at the moment without express permission from the original content/tool owners (eg. the game owners). The original content owners running an open marketplace for mods and endorsing profiting of them is quite the shift the other way.

ship building is expensive

I wonder if I still can cheat on Xbox by doing this

1. Grab/borrow a potato windows pc/laptop
2. Install starfield, and sync your save from Xbox to windows
3. Cheat on windows, save
4. Sync your cheated save from windows to Xbox

I wonder if I still can cheat on Xbox by doing this

1. Grab/borrow a potato windows pc/laptop
2. Install starfield, and sync your save from Xbox to windows
3. Cheat on windows, save
4. Sync your cheated save from windows to Xbox
Why bother playing the game then?

Load Diablo 4, run some cheat to hit level 100... sit there and feel... nothing?

Why bother playing the game then?

Load Diablo 4, run some cheat to hit level 100... sit there and feel... nothing?
not nothing. yes diablo 4 has auto level scaling, making leveling moot. but it will allow you to use higher level items. as some stuff in diablo 4 got minimum level req.

btw in other games, usually GaaS games, leveling skip cheat is being sold as MTX.

Yeah sure, the problem with optimizing complex software comes when no bottlenecks show up. We can profile it, and if we see the sum of many 'negligible costs', but no specific workload takes a seriously large amount of CPU time compared to others, then you can't expect noticeable improvements from further optimization.
But then you also can't speculate a certain system like the physics example 'causes' a too high cost. Rather we can only say the game as a whole is too large and does too much things, which makes sense here because it's a space game.
However, if we look back to previous Bethesda game, all of them were huge and open world, and they all did run at 60 fps.
The visual upgrade in Starfield does not impress me beyond the expected from a new console gen. It looks fine but not advanced. I can't see any use of RT for example, which would eventually explain higher costs. So i would rule this out for a reason too.
Also there is no increased amount of action to see on screen from the showcase. We see planets, space stations, a lot of scenery. But the places are not crowded by so many NPCs or spaceships.
I lack an explanation, and from that i assume their engine is just outdated. Optimization would likely not enable 60 fps, only a new engine would, i guess. So it's time for that, and ideally they would have done it before making Starfield.

That's not my intent. They won't cap on PC, but on my PC it will not run at 60fps, because it's slower than XBox. Many players will enjoy 60fps without doubt, and if i would really want to play this badly, i would accept to play at 30fps.
I'm just not so much into RPGs. The freedom, the ability to go anywhere... it sounds nice on paper. But then when i play it, i lack motivation and a sense of progress. Everything feels like side quests which have no real impact or outcome.
So i always try to figure out what people love about RPGs, and so far i liked Bethesda games the most from the genre. But i do not really get it and prefer a good linear story over branching into pointless infinity.
Kind of... 'See the mountain? You can go there!' - 'Um, yes. But why should i?'
I'd love to understand how people motivate themselves, how they answer this why, and why they can sink 200h into such games. But i fail on it.

I have played (or at least tried) Skyrim and FO3 / 4. (I also try to play FO2, at least that's on my to do list.)
But idk what you mean. Bethesda does rigid body simulation like anybody else does, using the same tech and limitations of it.
Like almost everywhere, the physics simulation has only a decorative and visual effect. It's passive. Ragdolls give nice death animations, you can stack up a pile of boxes, but there is no effect on the game from physics.
A counterexample would be the new Zelda game. That's active physics, spurs creativity, and has big impact on the game.
Basically they just merged RPG + Garys Mod, but it's surely serious progress towards waking up the sleeping princess of physics simulation. I'd like to see more of that, also in Bethesda games.

People love open world RGPs because it removes a level of repetition that comes from the nature of the genre.

Leveling requires repetitively killing the same mobs over and over again. Open world removes a lot of the monotony of the experience.

Same mobs but at least you can explore the world and find something new while doing so. Versus tackling the same level or dungeon in a linear game for the umpteenth time.

Last edited:
People love open world RGPs because it removes a level of repetition that comes from the nature of the genre.
Todd Howard isdoing lots of interviews now, here is one interesting transcript from Todd Howard when the game threw him a situation that had not pre-programmed, it was just a result of the interplay between different game mechanics.

Todd Howard said:
"Let's see. Just a few weeks ago, I had landed on one of the early planets and this sandstorm blew through and I went to run away from it. And ships can randomly... Once in a while, they can randomly land. Enemy ships can land. So I'm going through the sandstorm, the ship landed and I get in this firefight and I got on the ship. And while I'm shooting the guys on the surface of the planet in the ship, the ship took off into space. So now I'm in outer space on the ship, and I was just like, "Can that happen? I guess that can happen."

This is why get so much replayability from Bethesda's games. Fallout 4 was tremendous at this, particularly as your progressed down the story and more factions are introduced and begin to interact - minutemen, institute, brotherhood, super mutants/ghouls, raiders, deathclaws, rust devils, automatrons, random beasts. You can get into crazy battles, that begin escalating as the noise of the battle draws others in and - depending on your allegiances - things can get better or worse. The interactive nature of environment, like the ability for vehicles's nuclear cores to explode, just adds to the chaos.

I look forward exploring deserted bases and ships because few people do creepy (think Dunwich) like Bethesda. You know they'll draw from every great sci-fi trope from the last fifty years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now customer support channels are not always the most informed, but still, worrying if true:

There's no excuse for this other than a deliberate attempt to phase out physical games.

EDIT: Customer support was indeed mistaken. Ignore!

Last edited:
Maybe the rumour will be partially true for the Xbox build, isn't there some kind of limit how much data discs can hold? If you have different assets for Series S and Series X that's might be a challenge to squeeze it all on one disc - if the 125Gb PC install size is anything to go.

Back