Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
I'm pretty sure this isn't happening on any platform, including the PC. :no:

DemandingBlankIndiancow.gif

The animation alone is ungodly... unless the have achieved The Order 1886 x 1000.
Well that crappy cubemap reflection make me want to stab my eyes with a fork..

Things from this footage that will not make it into the console versions: AA, texture resolution, shadow resolution. Anything else?

The animation alone is ungodly... unless they have achieved The Order 1886 x 1000.

The animation is all canned. It's obvious that this is only an in-engine cutscene, not recorded gameplay from cinematic angles.

Things from this footage that will not make it into the console versions: AA, texture resolution, shadow resolution. Anything else?

The animation is all canned. It's obvious that this is only an in-engine cutscene, not recorded gameplay from cinematic angles.

Agree with the animations....watching the speederbikes swerve through the dense trees like that...no way the gameplay mechanics/physics will let you to have that amount of nimbleness/control in actual gameplay. Usually driving vehicles in a game is cumbersome and sloppy at best.

I think it will look great, though prob not up to the reveal trailer - at least on consoles anyway.

But DICE did amazing things with BF3 on last gen machines so no reason to doubt their capabilities.
And really, which other studio is better placed to make a Battlefront game than them?

Things from this footage that will not make it into the console versions: AA, texture resolution, shadow resolution.

Just thinking out loud here:
The texture resolution isn't that something that PRT/tiled resources should be handling??

And shadow resolution will have a large impact I agree. But isn't that something that conservative rasterization could assist with? I get that consoles likely do not have conservative rasterization. But I mean since we are on the topic of shadow resolution.

Async Shaders will likely play a massive role here for both consoles and I'm wondering if it's possible to create enough leeway for these upgrades.

And shadow resolution will have a large impact I agree. But isn't that something that conservative rasterization could assist with? I get that consoles likely do not have conservative rasterization. But I mean since we are on the topic of shadow resolution.
Those shadows are completely unrealistic anyways. They should just lower the resolution and blur the hell out of them.

Those shadows are completely unrealistic anyways. They should just lower the resolution and blur the hell out of them.
Lol. Reading that made me think of Project Cars shadow resolution for XBO. Lol *shudder*.

What I'm thinking here is that this could be the norm for dx12/mantle style games. We are looking at a multithreaded renderer with Async shaders and Async copy features that combined with the right technology should lower VRAM requirements and simultaneously improve texture quality if I'm not mistaken.

The large number of smaller draw calls could allow for better culling, if at the least provide better flexibility with respect to both shading, textures and culling. You also get bundling and all that good stuff together to really help with building complex foliage and shadows.

A move to forward+ rendering gets you back in the saddle for good 4x MSAA IIRC and you still keep your number of dynamic lights.

Perhaps it's not as far fetched as we believe, perhaps this is just the natural evolution to the newer technologies.

Perhaps this marks a pivotal time where we can say "next gen" starts around here?

The animation alone is ungodly... unless they have achieved The Order 1886 x 1000.
It looks amazing but there's some obvious unfinished parts. I mean it looks as though that's supposed to be a creek running down the middle but it's not moving at all and there's no reflects of the lasers on the water. The foliage detail is very high, down to ribbed ferns with noticeable clean gaps. I don't even see this being realtime in-engine cutscene unless it's a really high end PC.

why not short bread. Dump down to 900p on the ps4 and it should be possible. On the pc it should certainly be possible at 1080p.

nice to see they did not put any UI on screen. Played wthout UI in DriveClub and it is awesome.

but i wonder, how the gameplay mechanic will work? Did they have "enemy lock" and give outline to locked enemy? otherwise aiming will be hard without any visual guidance.

and from the look of it, you can freely move the camera around. so.. free-3D command and conquer?

nice to see they did not put any UI on screen. Played wthout UI in DriveClub and it is awesome.

but i wonder, how the gameplay mechanic will work? Did they have "enemy lock" and give outline to locked enemy? otherwise aiming will be hard without any visual guidance.

and from the look of it, you can freely move the camera around. so.. free-3D command and conquer?
You really need to understand that no actual gameplay has been shown at all yet. None of what you've seen is the actual game. From reports of people actually there, there's definitely UI elements, including a mini-map.

So apparently the actual gameplay from that 7min demo looked the same as the trailer but jaggier. This could be an indication of actual PS4 footage due to 900p artifact. But I guess it would have to do since it does look outworldly good. The lack of a traditional story mode is really off putting tho, have to see more before I decide buy or not.

It looks amazing but there's some obvious unfinished parts. I mean it looks as though that's supposed to be a creek running down the middle but it's not moving at all and there's no reflects of the lasers on the water. The foliage detail is very high, down to ribbed ferns with noticeable clean gaps. I don't even see this being realtime in-engine cutscene unless it's a really high end PC.

After looking at the video a couple of times, it seems like a mixture of real-time rendering (characters, foliage, machines, etc...) with some very well placed high quality pre-rendered surroundings. It has that old school green-screen vibe going on. Some of the stagnant movement or dead looking aspects - seems similar to pre-rendered games like Resident Evil Zero or even The Dark Sorcerer PS4 Tech Demo... just harder to spot and on a grander scale of interaction.

Lol. Reading that made me think of Project Cars shadow resolution for XBO. Lol *shudder*.

What I'm thinking here is that this could be the norm for dx12/mantle style games. We are looking at a multithreaded renderer with Async shaders and Async copy features that combined with the right technology should lower VRAM requirements and simultaneously improve texture quality if I'm not mistaken.

The large number of smaller draw calls could allow for better culling, if at the least provide better flexibility with respect to both shading, textures and culling. You also get bundling and all that good stuff together to really help with building complex foliage and shadows.

A move to forward+ rendering gets you back in the saddle for good 4x MSAA IIRC and you still keep your number of dynamic lights.

Perhaps it's not as far fetched as we believe, perhaps this is just the natural evolution to the newer technologies.

Perhaps this marks a pivotal time where we can say "next gen" starts around here?

That's the elephant in the room. Shadows are a big problem for realtime these days. The hardware just isnt' there to make very convincing self-shadows from dynamic lights. Literally every game out fakes it or doesn't make every object cast a dynamic shadow. I'm sure if we saw the gameplay (this reminds me of the Uncharted 4 reveal), that it will look like standard current gen games.

Back