*spin-off* News Media Misinformation

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
In this news they clearly mention tesellation -maybe they learnt that from the Lens of Truth article?- once again. And I think they are wrong, the PDF never mentions tesellation.

A psychologist once told me that a lie repeated many times usually becomes a truth. This was first stated by Lenin, and then named by Adolf Hitler in his Mein Kampf, but popularized by Joseph Goebbels. Yes, "the good and the great" :???:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/03/19/xbox-360-graphics-boost-instead-of-xbox-720-release/?

Although we recently heard reports that Microsoft was hiring for an unannounced new gaming project, which many believe is the next generation Xbox console (aka Xbox 720), it looks like they also have other things up their sleeve such as developing new technology for the Xbox 360.

According to a recent gamersmint.com article by Cyborg, the company is developing new technology for the current Xbox console, which is said to use a system called Mega Meshes that will support tessellation units of console as well as increase the polygon count and level of detail on future Xbox 360 exclusives.

The first title said to be supporting this new technology is Lionhead’s Project Milo (aka Milo & Kate), which unfortunately won’t ever see a retail release as it was only meant as a tech demo to showcase the capabilities of the Xbox 360 Kinect peripheral.

Ben Sugden, Lionhead’s lead programmer, held a presentation at the 2011 Game Developers Conference recently, showcasing some of the technology in use for Project Milo and providing us with a glimpse of what the visuals will look like in the future.

You can view a few screenshots that were taken from the GDC presentation video over on the gamersmint.com website. What do you think of the new technology?

Hopefully no one accuses Lionhead of lying about their tech once this game comes out. It would be unfortunate to get a whole bunch of backlash for a promise that was never made.

Hopefully no one accuses Lionhead of lying about their tech once this game comes out. It would be unfortunate to get a whole bunch of backlash for a promise that was never made.

The media already jumped on this without really knowing what it is or clearly explaining it.

A psychologist once told me that a lie repeated many times usually becomes a truth. This was first stated by Lenin, and then named by Adolf Hitler in his Mein Kampf, but popularized by Joseph Goebbels. Yes, "the good and the great" :???:
Well, I think Lewis Carroll predates them (in the "Hunting of the Snark").
"....'Tis the song of the Jubjub! The proof is complete,
If only I've stated it thrice."

The Beaver had counted with scrupulous care,
Attending to every word:
But it fairly lost heart, and outgrabe in despair,
When the third repetition occurred. "

Anyway, to bring it back on topic, the models do look wonderful - which really doesn't add much to the discussion. Sorry

In this news they clearly mention tesellation -maybe they learnt that from the Lens of Truth article?- once again. And I think they are wrong, the PDF never mentions tesellation.
There is couple of lines about tesselation where they clearly state that on x360 it wasn't used due performance problems.
page 45
Ideally, I would have liked to have used displacement maps,but I never got it running quick enough on the xboxto be viable.
Recently, however, I’ve been doing some tests using displacement maps in direct X 11 and got some very exciting results here,

Okay, the Lionhead guys have obviously overestimated the intelligence of practically everyone.

Literally every single news or forum post I see about Megameshes states that it actually renders a hundred billion polygons in realtime. No-one bothers to actually read the presentation itself and no-one can see that the video evidently has lowpoly geometry. It's going to get embedded in the mind of the people, everyone will believe that it is actually possible to render a hundred billion polygons, and on a damn game console on top of it all.

It's a disaster. Einstein was right, too.

Yep. If people understood the basics of the technology they'd know the peak theoretical rate is 500 million polygons/second and alarm bells would go off when seeing numbers like 100 billion.

And after people said Molynator strike back…
But, yeah!! He's got larges shoulders, so like Atlas he can carry all the internet word buzz !! :)

Only one thing is infinite. ;)

Yep. If people understood the basics of the technology they'd know the peak theoretical rate is 500 million polygons/second and alarm bells would go off when seeing numbers like 100 billion.

Such a thing would be to logical right.

I made a thread on Gametrailer:)shock: give me some slack was my first Videogame forum i joined) that silently died while the 100 billion rendering one is still going on. Even corrected some folks thinking it was the tesselator that made this possible.

The most demoralizing point is that this is standard practice for people with all information. First information in the head establishes the truth, and then good luck getting people to think otherwise! Doesn't help that with the internet people can freely quote lots of sources backing them up, those sources just echoing the misinformation and not being any more clued up. And finally we appreciate there's no such thing as journalistic integrity any more. It's all about generating traffic, not accuracy of information which Joe Public doesn't seem particular interested in.

None of which furthers the talk about megameshing as a technology. Infraction for me!

I don't think it was an intentional deception - most of the gaming sites' staff are just this superficial. Let's see what this is - presentation, nice images, 100 billion polygons, okay that's enough.
They just don't do their research although they usually don't have the knowledge to understand the information anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was an intentional deception.
No, not an intentional deception, but certainly a deliberate disregard for their responsibilities as informers. It should be a matter of pride to know what you're talking about if thousands of people are coming to you for that information. Even if journalists feel rushed to post info as soon as someone else, just to remain competitive, they should at least have the decency to follow up in due course with a self-correction and set the record straight. The Brit newspaper that lead with a story about Rockstar comes to mind. The Daily Star reported there was an upcoming GTA game based on a mad gunman incident, without attempting any verification at all. That ws such a big deal that R* cleaned their clogs and they posted a retraction, but that's one measure of false reporting that got caught, in a sea of misinformation.

learnt that from the Lens of Truth article
Havent people cottoned on the the FACT that the lens of truth (despite the name, I think the choosing of the name was deliberate ;) ) ppl are not reliable, theyve been caught out plenty of times before. Whether they are just incompetent or have an agenda is the only thing up to debate.
Surely anything that comes from 'lens of truth' should just be ignored

Havent people cottoned on the the FACT that the lens of truth (despite the name, I think the choosing of the name was deliberate ;) ) ppl are not reliable, theyve been caught out plenty of times before. Whether they are just incompetent or have an agenda is the only thing up to debate.
Surely anything that comes from 'lens of truth' should just be ignored

It seems to me most people just want to have the information, you can mention it a thousand times everywhere that they are not reliable it doesn't matter. They are like the "vgchartz" of technology.
You also don't need any knowledge of technology like in the DF articles. They show a few pics, write a few lines, make a conclusion a la "version x is better" and the fanboys go crazy. That's everything most people want to know ...

Chris Hecker wrote a piece about game journalism in general, after he was crucified for his Wii comments at GDC. It's a pretty good read.
FWIW my experience with them has been much the same, it's all about sensationalist headlines or sound bites.

http://chrishecker.com/Me_and_the_Wii

Chris Hecker wrote a piece about game journalism in general, after he was crucified for his Wii comments at GDC. It's a pretty good read.
FWIW my experience with them has been much the same, it's all about sensationalist headlines or sound bites.

http://chrishecker.com/Me_and_the_Wii

Great link. That's for that. I always thought games journalists were just a bunch of hacks, kids that played videogames suddenly thrust into a position of power. Now that's it's a hardened thought, I'm going to feel going about ignoring the game media entirely.

Great link. That's for that. I always thought games journalists were just a bunch of hacks, kids that played videogames suddenly thrust into a position of power. Now that's it's a hardened thought, I'm going to feel going about ignoring the game media entirely.

What power?

Back