*spin-off* Consoles & Censorship/Bannings/Ootrage/Cake

I don't know if this is legit, but if so, you may want to be careful with your language on Skype before this is sorted out ... Allegedly someone was banned from Live for swearing on Skype ...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=722467

This is actually really scary. Even if we assume he was banned for legit reasons - to then not be able to access services that he payed for IMO is going too far. Also - while playing online - me and my friends usually mute all others so we have a strictly "private group chat" - and I'm not sure why I shouldn't be able to use the language I want to use, in fear of receiving a ban...

I'm all for keeping clean language on a public basis, but there's some serious logic going wrong here...

After reading in that topic a bit, I am under the impression this is nothing new to Xbox owners, in light that Skype is behind the paywall and that a ban, disables your gold membership? Isn't that the same already on Xbox360?

No reason to throw money at live if I can get banned from live for swearing on Skype, Fuck is used so often in danish when friends talk. It wouldn't last a day here :)
I think the ban is temporary but it is a stupid kind of ban -it's funnier on NBA 2k14 where you get a technical foul for swearing-. There are people who have a sailor mouth, so to speak.

Xbox One sales about to overtake the WiiU in the UK.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/25/xbo...to-overtake-wii-u-total-according-to-sources/

I think Nintendo should switch to a younger CEO with an ideology more in tune with the times.

I think the ban is temporary but it is a stupid kind of ban -it's funnier on NBA 2k14 where you get a technical foul for swearing-. There are people who have a sailor mouth, so to speak.

Xbox One sales about to overtake the WiiU in the UK.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/25/xbo...to-overtake-wii-u-total-according-to-sources/

I think Nintendo should switch to a younger CEO with an ideology more in tune with the times.

But why even bother listening in to people in private conversations, except for the creepy part it's not public. And if they really end up using Kinect power to do this, then bleep the bleeps out of bleeping bleepers that doesn nothing but say bleep bleep bleep all the bleeping time.

I would be temp banned all the time if Kinect monitored my private sessions, even my kid thinks it's "cool" to say dirty words when his dad doesn't listen.

Imagine wanting to watch Netflix, but your live account is temp banned because someone that used the XB1 cursed online.. hahaha no thanks.

But why even bother listening in to people in private conversations, except for the creepy part it's not public. And if they really end up using Kinect power to do this, then bleep the bleeps out of bleeping bleepers that doesn nothing but say bleep bleep bleep all the bleeping time.

I suspect that they are not listening in, but he severely upset someone on the other side of the convo and they reported him as a violation of terms of use. This is how it works on xb360. Your fine to say what you want as long as the people you say it to are fine with it. However if you're running your mouth off in public chat or send a voice message to some random public stranger that is racist or vulgar, expect to be reported and dealt with.

A lot of the public posts on the official live support forum are hilarious as everyone claims to be innocent and then the occident response team responds with I formation on the specific incident showing how clearly the offender is an outright liar.

I suspect that they are not listening in, but he severely upset someone on the other side of the convo and they reported him as a violation of terms of use. This is how it works on xb360. Your fine to say what you want as long as the people you say it to are fine with it. However if you're running your mouth off in public chat or send a voice message to some random public stranger that is racist or vulgar, expect to be reported and dealt with.

A lot of the public posts on the official live support forum are hilarious as everyone claims to be innocent and then the occident response team responds with I formation on the specific incident showing how clearly the offender is an outright liar.

Yep it works just as it always has just like this forum's "report post" feature. In fact I say it's very needed to deal with harassment, bullying etc.

I don't know if this is legit, but if so, you may want to be careful with your language on Skype before this is sorted out ... Allegedly someone was banned from Live for swearing on Skype ...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=722467

Is this the latest Outrage(tm)? I was wondering when something new would be fabricated, it's been two days since the last Outrage(tm) after all we need a fresh one. And then people wonder why I'm so pessimistic and/or fed up of anything Microsoft related vomited out by various websites. The 360 has always been this way, given how many people have a microphone on that system meant you were likely to get reported by someone if you mouthed off too much, used vulgarities, profanity, etc at other players. It's one thing to type it, but another thing to hear it. Basically if you were a total dick to others, expect to get reported. This continues with the xb1, nothing at all new here. More than likely that user was a total ass online and had his ass handed back to him.

I would be temp banned all the time if Kinect monitored my private sessions, even my kid thinks it's "cool" to say dirty words when his dad doesn't listen.

Imagine wanting to watch Netflix, but your live account is temp banned because someone that used the XB1 cursed online.. hahaha no thanks.
Microsoft have responded. He was not banned because of swearing but because of infringing Upload Studio policies.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/25/5...skype-upload-studio-users-banned-for-swearing

[/b]Update:[/B] A Microsoft representative responded to our requests, explaining that the company does not monitor private Skype conversations — however, "excessive profanity" in Upload Studio videos will result in suspensions.

"To be clear, the Xbox Live Policy & Enforcement team does not monitor direct peer-to-peer communications like Skype chats and calls," the representative wrote.

"Also, we take Code of Conduct moderation via Upload Studio very seriously. We want a clean, safe and fun environment for all users. Excessive profanity as well as other Code of Conduct violations will be enforced upon and result in suspension of some or all privileges on Xbox Live. We remain committed to preserving and promoting a safe, secure and enjoyable experience for all of our Xbox Live members."

It would seem the users who posted screenshots of their Skype application preventing them access received a full Xbox Live ban in another app, while reports of Upload Studio bans were potentially accurate. We've reached out to Microsoft again to find out how uploaded videos are being moderated, and will update this article with any additional information we receive.

Par for the course I say. Youtube has similar policies for video uploads.

Yes, you can post videos of people dying, getting kicked in the head and beat while laying down and with everyone in the video saying nothing but fuck fuck... But anyone nude, and then it's removed.

So he posted a video with him being completely nude?

Sony and Microsoft is going show us the weakness very fast with their good clean family entertainment..

And banning him from the other services is simply wrong, I hope they fix that.

Here's some more detailed response to the matter. It does indeed seem that if you upload anything with bad words in it, you can expect some of your rights to be revoked:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-live-bans-users-from-skype-and-upload-but-why

Imho Microsoft and Sony will have to let the rules of whatever video streaming hosting etc company they use decide what happens. And the ban should stop at that service, it's like a ISP blocking every access to everything i use on the internet because Shifty bans me here.

Yes i may be stretching on that example, but Microsoft and Sony provides so many services and there is so many 3rd party services along that on their boxes. They are in for rough ride if they ban people of other services based on uploads off games, were cursing and cutting heads off is included, because the commentary has curse words.

What if somebody has tourette syndrome ?

Will it end up being the new medical marihuana card? No MS/Sony, see I got a doctors note, I got tourette syndrom, so its uncontrollable :D

Yes, you can post videos of people dying, getting kicked in the head and beat while laying down and with everyone in the video saying nothing but fuck fuck... But anyone nude, and then it's removed.

So he posted a video with him being completely nude?

Sony and Microsoft is going show us the weakness very fast with their good clean family entertainment..

You can report those videos on Youtube and they'll review it and will take it down and maybe even ban the YT account.

Back