Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Someone has gone to a lot of effort to fake that.
Well, it could pass for real. They made an amazing job. Plus, PlayStation RealEyes sounds good compared to Morpheus -which doesn't sound bad, but it's not very Sony like, so to speak-

Maybe they could get away with a point light. On PS3 the ball size was used to calculate Z, but now they can triangulate with the two cameras.

Maybe they could get away with a point light. On PS3 the ball size was used to calculate Z, but now they can triangulate with the two cameras.
The smaller the led, the worse it better candidate for occlusion problems, and the more margin of error at higher distances. Also, this controller has nothing over the previous move, it's not adding any features. Also, there are spelling errors there and the pamphlet layout is done amateurishly. (Other than that, A for effort)

Best would be a pattern like the DS4, orientation would be more robust. No more drifting magnetometers.

Anyway if they ever make a new one it would have to be significantly better than the move, otherwise it's not worth it.

It is a fake

Its-a-Fake.jpg

Maybe they could get away with a point light. On PS3 the ball size was used to calculate Z
the ball was used to be observable from many orientations. Pointing straight up or down, the camera still has a clear view of the light. LEDs lose that unless you have lots of them, whch requires plenty more processing than a simple sphere size.

Removing the analog and d-pads would limit the usability of such controllers down to ridiculous levels.
We couldn't use it for first or third-person games because there's no way to move.

Maybe if we got down to our knees and played with our arms on the floor, it'd give a great AT-ST simulator. But other than that, I fail to see the point.
CvgoeXI.jpg

No, they will focus on Hololens and just provide proper drivers for HTC and Oculus if necessary.

Oculus already started a peripheral exclusivity war, with ready at dawn and insomniac making games exclusively for oculus, so VR on PC is already segmented at launch, it's possible valve will retaliate with their own games being exclusive on vive. This is total bullshit, it's as if nvidia had signed for COD working only on nvidia cards.

I want portal in VR.

it's as if nvidia had signed for COD working only on nvidia cards.

It's as if Nvidia co-funded a COD game that was built specifically for $1000 graphics cards, but made exclusive to TitanX. A game that could never justify it's own commercial existence without a company guarantying financial assistance. Would you rather Oculus throw caution into the wind and do no first/second party content and leave the future of their company in the hands of third party developers and their willingness to take a risk on a non-existent platform? Oculus needs content to make their store relevant, developers need to mitigate their risk, Oculus's future as a company depends on VR content, Valve's does not - hence you see Oculus looking to seed development and developers accepting it. If/when the VR market is a healthy, commercial market you'll see developers producing multi-platform titles just as they do for consoles now. It's going to take years before that happens.

Okay it's not the same thing, but it still fragment the PC market.

Oculus is facebook. They already have 2 bilion spent, and they can wage a war of attrition until valve folds.

So you still think they might have a VR headset later?

No, they will focus on Hololens and just provide proper drivers for HTC and Oculus if necessary.

I agree with Arwin. I think that might be the best way to do it.

For hololens , I bet they will release it on its own in late 2016 but we will get a gaming specific one with the next xbox in 2017/18

Meh...not sure what to think about it. Why did they even show this, when they actually have nothing to show on stage.

I am curious about the user impressions though...

Interesting that Yoshida's comments about cross-pollination of VR interest across platforms is coming true. An editor of Android Authority wrote a review of Morpheus and compared with android mobile VR.
http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-project-morpheus-reactions-e3-2015-617852/
I got to play a game called Rigs
[..]
This was literally the best VR experience I have ever had (aside from the Virtual Boy… not!). It’s super immersive and takes you right into the battlefield. The experience was smooth and seamless, but I do have one complaint. This game, specifically, is a bit hard to get used to in terms of the controls. This is mostly because you aim by moving your head and it can be a bit too sensitive. It was a great time, nonetheless, and you get used to it in a few minutes.
Rigs looks like the first major attempt by Sony to make a twitchy FPS in VR.

This game is begging for eye tracking!

Back