Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

The description there seems to be more about streaming (2D) XB1 games to VR than supporting VR on XB1. So if you have an XB1 and a VR PC, you can run XB1 games on the PC, instead of, you know, actual VR games on that PC.

Or rather, it's XB1 game streaming/RemotePlay only sent to a headset instead of a standard display.

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-room-scale/

You can use multiple rift constellation tracking systems together

1. Will more of them increase the PC system requirement [video processing for seeking dots of the headset/gamepads]? Vive uses "passive" light emitters, all the data that PC needs is captured by the headset and sent probably in a ordinary text file. No fancy PC processing is required, just quick basic math to calculate 3D positions for each dot.

2. Will more of them prompt the need to stretch cables from all of them to the PC? That can turn ugly quickly.

The LED tracking performance cost is pretty negligible relative to everything else that's going on, and the CV1 CPU requirement is hefty enough (i5 haswell) that triangulating some additional LEDs is not much of a concern. The cabling to the base stations will seem like a minor issue when compared to the cabling from the HMD. The more flexible/roomy and immersive VR becomes, the bigger of an issue the tether will be for moving around because you always have to keep in the back of your mind where your body/legs are relative to the cable and PC. I can totally see myself having to setup an overhead boom of some sort in order to comfortably move around a room-sized space.

1. Will more of them increase the PC system requirement [video processing for seeking dots of the headset/gamepads]? Vive uses "passive" light emitters, all the data that PC needs is captured by the headset and sent probably in a ordinary text file. No fancy PC processing is required, just quick basic math to calculate 3D positions for each dot.

2. Will more of them prompt the need to stretch cables from all of them to the PC? That can turn ugly quickly.

No idea yet.

The vive light houses need to be connected to each other and have a 50 foot wire.

OLOeRxT.png

A lot of this we will find out more about at e3 and the coming months.

Last edited:
The wire is a dev kit only requirement, as the pic points out.

Wonder if you can get away with a single lighthouse for a seated/limited standing experience.

HTC really do need to improve the ergonomics for the consumer version. Morpheus and the Rift have at least made an effort.

I'
Developers from studio "MixedBag" will showcase their new Project Morpheus game on E3 2015. Game uses not only native 120fps rendering, but also reprojection so that the showcased frames always get the latest and most up-to-date tracking data. Supposedly this gives the users very good video feed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=167606669#post167606669

I'm pretty sure that's how AMD's and NV's async timewarp works too. I.e. all games are recommended to run at a native 90fps (and if you have the base GTX970 spec the native VR games should be developed to ensure that they do) and then every rendered frame is also warped in the last couple ms before refresh to match the latest head position. It's only 90fps rather 120fps though so I'm not sure what difference that would make.

Obviously if any frames don't complete in time for the refresh then timewarp will also fill in the blank, I assume this morpheus game does the same if needed.

ILM created a film-quality Star Wars VR experience

Industrial Light and Magic, George Lucas' award-winning special effects company, has created a stunning photo-realistic augmented and virtual reality that puts Star War fans in the middle of scenes inspired by the upcoming film. In a sneak peek with USA Today, ILM showcased the experience in its ILMxLab development studio.

The AR system utilizes specially outfitted iPads while the more immersive VR experience relies on an Oculus Rift. Looking through their iPads, visitors can watch 360-degree scenes from any of the characters' points of view. The Oculus version instead plunks visitors into a virtual X-Wing cockpit where they can steer the fighter craft through head tilts. "With image-quality rivaling film," Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy told USA Today. "You'll be able to literally step into an alternate reality." Both versions are expected to debut alongside the new film this Christmas.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/12/ilm-created-a-film-quality-star-wars-vr-experience/

I think now with E3, we should perhaps have some dedicated threads per device besides a catch-all, because I think there's going to be a lot of news. I'm watching the Oculus Rift presser now (late, I know) and although I think it's rather light on content announcements, I'm expecting a lot more over the coming week.

The other devices don't really belong in the Console forum though. They only have relevance as competition for Morpheus. News and details on them really belongs in the PC forum.

The booklet looks printed with consumer ink jet, blotchy solid blue. Normally this would be plastified. The text is horribly written, no marketing firm writes this badly unless it went through translation. It cannot be tracked like the original move, the leds are easily occluded.

I say fake. But a very nice try, and good timing before E3.

Back