Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

1080x1200 per eye.

It looks like they are aiming for cost reduction.

All 3 competitors are at the edge of 297MHz HDMI. About the same pixel per seconds all around. Morpheus have a bit lower res, but a proportional higher refresh. Quite a nice competition with each it's small advantage over the others, but Morpheus is the one looking good as a polished product.
yea I posted that in the oculus thread. Looks like I will wait till fall 2016 at this point. None of the headsets are good enough for me .

Surely one of them have just the right specs for goldilocks...
Well the Vive and the rift seem to have the same specs ( still don't know if the rift is pentile or not) and I've used both the vive and the new Morpheus. Neither of them are quite there for me and I can see the screen door in both

Could be frame rate issues?
Or a too long pipeline, which causes reprojection problems?
A 30Hz output to 120Hz is perhaps too much for their reproduction technology. Or perhaps it's just not suit to a game where you're moving super fast and huge areas of the screen at racing towards you.

Sony mentioned that morpheus games HAVE to be rendered at 60 or or native 120hz. If he was uncorfortable, maybe it was because the game was too arcadey [too many bumps and crashes, crazy drifts and cornering moves :D].

Given sony have done headsets before to effectively give the user a giant personal screen, and this device contains hardware to allow faster refresh rates (coupled with software work) , what is the chance first party non vr titles will be enabled to take advantage this "big screen" and fps boost just as a fancy display.

Given sony have done headsets before to effectively give the user a giant personal screen, and this device contains hardware to allow faster refresh rates (coupled with software work) , what is the chance first party non vr titles will be enabled to take advantage this "big screen" and fps boost just as a fancy display.
I expect very high as it's an easy boost to the featureset without any effort. Just run the screens as a display and ignore motion. I expect 3D movies to work well. Maybe there'll need to be an adjuster to shrink (scale on PS4) the screen if the user finds it too large?

I expect very high as it's an easy boost to the featureset without any effort. Just run the screens as a display and ignore motion. I expect 3D movies to work well

I think I'm as excited about these two possibilities as I am about VR itself. My only concern would be how well the scaling is handles for movies given the weird resolution. 3D Blu-Ray as far as I'm aware is effectively 1920x1080 x2 and it looks spectacular with regards to image quality. I imagine the 2x lower res screens of VR headsets would mean a reduction in perceived quality (before we consider the vastly increased FOV).

The half horizontal res will be softer, but possibly not as much as you'd expect. Grab any video frame and shrink it horizontally then expand it back to full size. It's not a huge downgrade, and will be even less impactful in motion.

Well the Vive and the rift seem to have the same specs ( still don't know if the rift is pentile or not) and I've used both the vive and the new Morpheus. Neither of them are quite there for me and I can see the screen door in both
Rumours point to pentile. I hope they are wrong.

I think I'm as excited about these two possibilities as I am about VR itself. My only concern would be how well the scaling is handles for movies given the weird resolution. 3D Blu-Ray as far as I'm aware is effectively 1920x1080 x2 and it looks spectacular with regards to image quality. I imagine the 2x lower res screens of VR headsets would mean a reduction in perceived quality (before we consider the vastly increased FOV).
That is what is on the disk yes but only users with active shutter glasses get this, passive 3d sets go to half resolution and for the most part nobody notices or says anything. The 3d effect and slight differences per eye make you brain fill in detail well.

Yes, and both eyes get 60fps instead of 30 (or whatever they do). This is one thing I like about passive 3D. But the resolution really is noticeably lower. That doesn't always hurt with movies though.

I doubt it would be great, probably just mildly usable:

The aspect ratio of the film must be maintained so it's 960x540 at best.
Fisheye correction causes major radial blur in the corners.
VR optics give high center density and soft corners, you're supposed to move your head, not look at the corners.
At 100 degrees FOV it would make it feel like sitting 15" from an 42" TV. Not really a comfortable viewing.
3D films are mastered based on a normal FOV, and 100 degrees would make a severe cardboard cutout effect, and flatten the 3D perception.

Last edited:
That is what is on the disk yes but only users with active shutter glasses get this, passive 3d sets go to half resolution and for the most part nobody notices or says anything. The 3d effect and slight differences per eye make you brain fill in detail well.

Edit:
Took so long to post others have mentioned passive tv sets also. Dam the lack of delete.

For non VR games you'd want something like the oculus cinema app for reprojecting the game into a big virtual screen. If the screen doesn't exist in a 3d space you'll hurl! Sony's viewer headsets get away with it as the optics projects the 720p image into a narrow field of view.

The rez for the vr cinema would be pretty low. It could be worth the trade off for gaming on the equivalent of a 30 foot screen?

I may emulate this by not wearing specs next time I watch a film and report back. :)

I doubt it would be great, probably just mildly usable:

The aspect ratio of the film must be maintained so it's 960x540 at best.
Fisheye correction causes major radial blur in the corners.
VR optics give high center density and soft corners, you're supposed to move your head, not look at the corners.
At 100 degrees FOV it would make it feel like sitting 15" from an 42" TV. Not really a comfortable viewing.
3D films are mastered based on a normal FOV, and 100 degrees would make a severe cardboard cutout effect, and flatten the 3D perception.
Good points. I forgot the optics are poop. You'd want a virtual cinema so you can look around.

Yeah my TV set is active but the resolution difference is huge to my eyes vs passive or even just vs 2d blu ray on the same tv. In fact I tend to watch 3d movies as much for the percieved resolution boost as for the 3d itself. I guess it must be similar to what 4k looks like in 2d but I've never seen that directly.

It could be that when viewing movies with Vive/Rift VR motion interpolation techniques might be the only way to get movie without motion judder, 90hz doesn't really divide nicely with 24.
Morpheus doesn't have this problem as 120hz is perfect for movies.

WIth Occulus revealling their min. specs, have they shot themselves in the foot and left Morpheus the only contender for bringing VR to the mainstream?

Back