Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by jayco, Mar 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rurouni

Veteran

Close enough without a magnifier? No. But for a setup like VR where the screen cover your FOV, and if the pixel count is low enough (and the gap between pixel/subpixel is large enough) then yes.

2. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

I guess Housemarque will do a VR game for Microsoft then or is it a diversion :)

/Edit change Sony to MS, brainfreeze for moment there

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I've just spun through that video. What suggests the target company, MS or Sony?

4. holsty101

Regular

Presumably the game they're making with EJ is gonna be VR now.

The 360 hdd caddy? :D ... with a dreamcast controller ... zomg! joint ms/sega console!

Sony seems more likely given HMs recent history? Jarvis was using a ps4 pad on that recent eurogamer video iirc, not that that's really proof of anything I guess...

5. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

And Sony having a VR headset, where MS doesn't...? ;)

6. holsty101

Regular

Could well be a factor :-D

7. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Not actually Project Morpheus related but the head-mounted thing reminds me of VR... I watched today in the news that a Russian company has created a bike helmet called LiveMap, with built-in GPS navigation, among other features.

8. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Lots of these products are being developed by many different companies, including google glass, and sony's own upcoming AR products. VR and AR have different applications and different hardware requirements for the display.

AR adds visual elements over the real world image and has limited application in console gaming. Wearability and optics requirements limits the resolution and FoV.

VR makes the user feel in a virtual world, which is very much the ultimate goal for gaming. They call it presence, and it's the exact opposite of AR. The high resolution and wide FoV makes them huge and impractical for AR.

Prophecy2k and Cyan like this.
  9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

The brand of the video camera ... and lol, that's some *very* old-school trolling here.

10. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

wow..... :D April's Fools?

I wonder what would be considered Real Life FOV. 180ยบ?

I am not yet sold on any of them. and I favour wearability for now. I'd love to be immersed in ways detaching me from the real world, although in VR it seems to be a completely fabricated world for you to inhabit, which can be an advantage. AR being a blend of virtual and real, as long as the glasses are unobtrusive, has the advantage to me of making you fully aware of the real world.

That's to say, I expect VR equipment to feature both video and sound, and high res plus super high framerate, which can't be done with AR, while with AR I can still listen to phone calls and take a look at my surroundings.

11. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Cyan likes this.
  12. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I kinda like how it works seamlessly between real life and VR, my only gripe being that he doesn't see his own hands.

Sony want PS4 feature requests and feedback for Project Morpheus, and they have an engineer solely dedicated to that, among other things.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04...sts-on-new-ps4-features-and-project-morpheus/

13. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Take home point - Unity supports Morpheus.

Woot, I can go VR with my top-down, orthographic projection, 2D tile-based dungeon crawler!!!

o_O

London-boy, iroboto and Prophecy2k like this.
  14. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Another patent from SCE which mentions eye tracking and display the real world on the HMD display (which would need both external and internal cameras on the headset). That's a pretty big hardware change to Morpheus, so maybe PS5 stuff... but it would make it a much more versatile HMD.

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20141211ptan20140361976.php

Cyan and London-boy like this.
  15. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

It would, and perhaps is warranted to compete in this space that's getting pretty crowded already.

16. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

That's a good workaround for people who want or need to see the real life stuff when immersion needs to be paused or you could have a PiP like view with a toggle off/on option, with which you could know what's happening in your RL surroundings while being fully immersed in a game.

17. MrFox

Legend Veteran

It seems they want to slowly crossfade real/virtual image to avoid headaches.
    [​IMG]

18. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

They need to miniaturize this

19. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Kinect should be able to do this also. There is free software on your pc to do it. FaceTrackNoIR