Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Please, for the love of God, change the thread title? Projecto Morpheus? Does it come with nachos? I've been waiting for someone to mention it or change it, but no one did, and I can't take it anymore.

Thanks,
Your beloved OCD spelling bee.

Do you have something against spanish?

:p

I don't think projecto is a word... in any language. :LOL:

It is in Portuguese from Portugal (not from Brasil).

But not for long, since our recent "Ortography Unification Agreement" with Brasil states that most consonants that go "unspoken" and "unheard" (like the C in Pojecto) will disappear from the written word.

I'm not sure about that. Glass is more of an alternative to a phone/tablet in a relatively unobtrusive configuration (it'll only get smaller) where VR it a complete piece of headgear that could be a tethered solution for a while and even when it's not, I can't see people walking about indoors or outdoors with a OR/Morpheus headset on ;-)

I mean if they want a google glass competitor they need to buy AR technology (like Moverio and Lumus Optical) and not VR.

What you guys are failing to understand from my original post – are the reasons (motives) behind Facebook purchasing of OR. It has more to do with social media space and connecting people, not so much the gaming space. Yes, OR by nature deals with gaming, but for Facebook it’s the technology of capturing people’s attention on drawing them into the Facebook ecosystem of current products (advertising, socializing, game apps, etc…) and future products that generate new revenue within their system. And eventually crafting OR for these needs.

The “Virtual” gaming part, is just an added benefit of them wanting the technology ...a captivating product with the potential of drawing a newer/larger user base towards their goals. I'm not saying it was the right choice, but it was the choice they made regardless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/26/technology/innovation/facebook-google/

"Facebook and Google are high technology titans engaged in a real world game of 'Monopoly' to grab the choicest technology properties in a bid to maintain and extend their dominance with each other as well and various other rivals," said Laura DiDio principal analyst at consultancy ITIC

By buying Oculus, Facebook is betting that the next tech wave could be ruled by wearable devices. Google is making a similar bet with Glass and itsAndroid Wear smartwatch platform.

But Oculus is unlike most wearable devices -- it is closed off from the rest of the world, taking over most of your senses, including your entire field of vision. That's great for gaming but it's not like we're going to be able to walk down the street with these things as we do today with smartphones and could even do one day with smartwatches and Google Glass.

"Oculus has a lot of cool, very immersive applications," said Ron Gruia, principal consultant at Frost & Sullivan. "At the same time, Oculus is very isolating, limiting its usefulness."

Google's mission of cataloging information is also broader than Facebook's "connecting people" goal. So while Facebook can make wild bets like it is with Oculus, it has less wiggle room than Google in ensuring they pay off. Investors showed their disapproval on Wednesday as well. Shares of Facebook were down more than 3%.

http://time.com/#37842/facebook-oculus-rift/

Though the Rift has been pitched as a video-gaming device, Facebook plans to use its technology for communications, media and other forms of entertainment. In a conference call with analysts, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive officer, said virtual reality has the potential to be the next great computing evolution, following the transition from desktop computers to mobile devices.

Honestly, Facebook is far more concerned about Google, more so than the MS/Nintendo/Sony gaming space.

What you guys are failing to understand from my original post – are the reasons (motives) behind Facebook purchasing of OR. It has more to do with social media space and connecting people, not so much the gaming space.
Aye, I thought that was taken as read, & thats why a lot of ppl are upset
i.e. due to OR not being primarily focused on gaming

Aye, I thought that was taken as read, & thats why a lot of ppl are upset
i.e. due to OR not being primarily focused on gaming

Hypothetical product called "Facebook Virtual Lobby or Virtual Mall". Similar to PS3 virtual home in nature, but goes a step further in design. Allowing users to fully interact virtually, within a virtual 3D social environment with all the trimmings. Could you imagine going out to a movie, a club, golfing or whatever, with a friend or loved one who lives overseas? Just imagine how the social space would change if Facebook or Google could successfully accomplish creating a virtual environment that could do something beyond your typical instant messaging, Instagram, Tweeting, Facebooking or any other social media outlets.

To say something like this will happen, is up in the air. However, the thought of visiting my loved ones across the world in a virtual environment, does intrigues me.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you guys are failing to understand from my original post – are the reasons (motives) behind Facebook purchasing of OR. It has more to do with social media space and connecting people, not so much the gaming space.
I was only commenting on your assertion that Facebook bought OR to compete against Google Glass. You didn't mention motives at all.

Nonetheless, Glass and OR are aimed at completely different usage scenarios and aren't competing. Glass is going for an discrete, unobtrusive AR solution that can be worn anywhere and has no dedicated control device whereas OR is going for obtrusive full immersive VR solution that isolates the user from their surroundings and requires a control device.

Nobody wanting an immersive experience will be considering Glass and nobody wanting a social experience while shopping will be considering OR. They aren't competing - even if they can both serve a virtual social experience.

I was only commenting on your assertion that Facebook bought OR to compete against Google Glass. You didn't mention motives at all..

Sorry, I should have been more clearer, I guess.

Nonetheless, Glass and OR are aimed at completely different usage scenarios and aren't competing. Glass is going for an discrete, unobtrusive AR solution that can be worn anywhere and has no dedicated control device whereas OR is going for obtrusive full immersive VR solution that isolates the user from their surroundings and requires a control device.

I would agree pre-Facebook purchase, however Facebook has different plans for OR, not specifically gaming. But we can agree to disagree...

Nobody wanting an immersive experience will be considering Glass and nobody wanting a social experience while shopping will be considering OR. They aren't competing - even if they can both serve a virtual social experience.

They are competing products by the nature of them being CE products, within the scope of gaming / social media capabilities / augmentation of how one uses current technology and so forth. And what OR lacks in social apps/capabilities can easily be tailored to Facebook standards. Facebook didn't buy OR to get into the gaming space (THATS FOR SURE!!!), it purchased OR on tailoring it to fit a space they want to protect and grow in the process.

TITANFALL! http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/30/5563440/john-carmack-facebook-oculus-rift-purchase-comments

Valve had the digital games industry to itself for years, and, as Sony proved recently, virtually reality is set to become a major industry for tech "titans" to fight over. The experience is too obviously powerful, and it makes converts on contact. The fairly rapid involvement of the Titans is inevitable, and the real questions were how deeply to partner, and with who.
Only Titan i know of is Sony, he knows something i think :)

MS , Facebook , Google , Sony , Amazon and so on are all huge companies that will have VR products on shelves within the next 3 years.

I'm assuming that is what Carmack is talking about .

MS , Facebook , Google , Sony , Amazon and so on are all huge companies that will have VR products on shelves within the next 3 years.

I'm assuming that is what Carmack is talking about .
I think these guys are more interested in AR than VR; I believe facebook sees the VR tech as a base to work from for AR.

Any acquisitions in that area after the ludicrous sum paid for OR are going to be hard (at least until the current bubble pops). The tone has been set and the tone is a major B.

I dunno , sony's head set seems extremely similar to the rift. I think at this point anyone can take a cell phone screen and make a head set.

I don't see it. Not all content, and the environment people consume it in, translates well (over a conventional display) to a VR environment. For example, would browsing the web benefit from an immersive VR experience? I don't see it. Email? IM? Games and movies two mediums where immersion could make a huge difference but how many people will pay money to watch a movie on a VR headset compared to a TV? Okay if you're on your own I guess but what about friends and family?

I'd argue that VR is, by it's intent, somewhat anti-social. It's designed to segregate you from the world around you. I see a limited market in the next five years but I don't see all those companies you list having VR products, not until they are essentially commodity peripherals like headphones.

Back