Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I think at this point anyone can take a cell phone screen and make a head set.
I keep thinking this, but I'm guessing there are some rather finicky details (and the question of driving support) making it more difficult than it first appears. Shu Yoshida said Sony had been working on this for years, I think he said they started in 2009.

Screens, gryos, accelerometers, control input latency, screen latency - lots of things to get working well together with an external device (PC, PS4, Xbox etc).

and all those companies have the ability to get that stuff working.

Except for driving support. This is much harder to do. How many cool products were launched in a blaze of hope only to fade through lack of support!

amazon is apparently launching something in nyc later this week. If its a home box like many think they can add vr to that. MS has the pc and xbox they can launch vr for . Sony obviously has the ps4 and google has android / chrome

Other successful expensive peripherals

Sega CD
Launch Price: $299 ($485 with inflation)
2.7 million units sold
9.3% attach rate (29 million Sega Genesis sold)

Kinect:
Claimed $500 Million Dollar Advertising Budget
Launch Price: $149
24 million units shipped (as of feb 2013)!
up to a possible 30% attach rate as of feb 2013. (80 milliion consoles sold as of oct 2013)
Many sold as a console bundle.

As a customer of a potential device, I don't want one that a lot of people buy (like Kinect), I want one that devs will support en masse to the fullest.

I don't see it. Not all content, and the environment people consume it in, translates well (over a conventional display) to a VR environment. For example, would browsing the web benefit from an immersive VR experience? I don't see it. Email? IM? Games and movies two mediums where immersion could make a huge difference but how many people will pay money to watch a movie on a VR headset compared to a TV? Okay if you're on your own I guess but what about friends and family?

I'd argue that VR is, by it's intent, somewhat anti-social. It's designed to segregate you from the world around you. I see a limited market in the next five years but I don't see all those companies you list having VR products, not until they are essentially commodity peripherals like headphones.

Agreed for the most part. It'll take some time before VR catches on, since there's little content to start with, and the general applications will still require a fairly beefy PC to run it adequately. And since PC's are pretty much on their way out, we need to wait until mobile picks up in processing power.

VR won't make it's mark as soon as we wish it to. But for games however, it's the wild wild west now as they say.

What you guys are failing to understand from my original post – are the reasons (motives) behind Facebook purchasing of OR. It has more to do with social media space and connecting people, not so much the gaming space. Yes, OR by nature deals with gaming, but for Facebook it’s the technology of capturing people’s attention on drawing them into the Facebook ecosystem of current products (advertising, socializing, game apps, etc…) and future products that generate new revenue within their system. And eventually crafting OR for these needs.

The “Virtual” gaming part, is just an added benefit of them wanting the technology ...a captivating product with the potential of drawing a newer/larger user base towards their goals. I'm not saying it was the right choice, but it was the choice they made regardless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/26/technology/innovation/facebook-google/

http://time.com/#37842/facebook-oculus-rift/

Honestly, Facebook is far more concerned about Google, more so than the MS/Nintendo/Sony gaming space.
Well, what do you think after watching this video? :oops: That's how certain company envisions Oculus Rift and Facebook, this was the first video they published featuring Oculus. Odd marketing...

I wonder how Oculus can track the guy's fingers and hands. -shrug-

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, what do you think after watching this video? :oops: That's how Facebook envisions Oculus Rift, this was the first video they published featuring Oculus. Odd marketing...

Pretty much when I stated this (below).

Hypothetical product called "Facebook Virtual Lobby or Virtual Mall". Similar to PS3 virtual home in nature, but goes a step further in design. Allowing users to fully interact virtually, within a virtual 3D social environment with all the trimmings. Could you imagine going out to a movie, a club, golfing or whatever, with a friend or loved one who lives overseas? Just imagine how the social space would change if Facebook or Google could successfully accomplish creating a virtual environment that could do something beyond your typical instant messaging, Instagram, Tweeting, Facebooking or any other social media outlets.

To say something like this will happen, is up in the air. However, the thought of visiting my loved ones across the world in a virtual environment, does intrigues me.

As I stated before (many times), Facebook is going to "retool" OR for social-media and social interaction needs, gaming not so much.

Well, what do you think after watching this video? :oops: That's how Facebook envisions Oculus Rift, this was the first video they published featuring Oculus. Odd marketing...

ouch thats sad

thats giving that guy a worse experience than just using the PC monitor, at least when he clicks on the purchase button he knows hes purchased it, unlike here (wheres the hand indicator in the video image)

They glued a camera on the front of the visor? :D

Its not only basic camera, its Leap Motion precise hand-tracking system that already has the API for finger tracking/interactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA

Idea of integrating Leap Motion on VR headset is..... truly excellent. As for store interface, that is also great, but example is made in time when people would not be happy about that kind of thing [especially for anything FB-related].

Huh, I thought that was a pretty cool demo, my wife would love that! Gaming is the perfect application for VR but there are so many other exciting opportunities to explore.

i though disaster evacuation simulation will be good for VR, but it would need the treadmill thing, kinect/psmove.

This is very on topic. Angela Lansbury was ahead of the VR game AKA the crap you see on twitter

BkK1anlCUAIM4rm.png

No, that's how a company called Chaotic Moon Studios thinks of Facebook's plans for Oculus, which is IMO terribly short-sighted and a bit insulting.

That video isn't related to Facebook, Oculus or Leap Motion.

So no, Facebook didn't spend $2B on Oculus for men to buy women purses through what appears to be a 15 years-old 3D renderer.

No, that's how a company called Chaotic Moon Studios thinks of Facebook's plans for Oculus, which is IMO terribly short-sighted and a bit insulting.

That video isn't related to Facebook, Oculus or Leap Motion.

So no, Facebook didn't spend $2B on Oculus for men to buy women purses through what appears to be a 15 years-old 3D renderer.
I will change that sentence. Still, I agree.., the idea is very unimaginative. -pbjliverpool, I don't know what you think it is so good in that video-

It's not like you can't discern when something is actually good or bad for you and your partner by visiting online websites that create stuff like that.

You have plenty of good photos, and maybe 3D models of the items available that you can rotate around, other than the clumsy interface and stuff you see in the video. :cry:

The video is also a good example of what I think needs a very important improvement when it comes to VR. VR will succeed among the core fans, and I am core. But there is the mass appeal too.

Some people think like me, and I don't want to wear a gadget like that on my face.

It's not for me in its current form, and I've bought a 3D TV 'cos it has 3D, but it's not intrusive.

Some people think like me, and I don't want to wear a gadget like that on my face.

It's not for me in its current form, and I've bought a 3D TV 'cos it has 3D, but it's not intrusive.

For me 3D is all about total immersion which requires you to be completely cut off from the outside world. I'm playing 3D Skyrim at the moment and inch myself as close as possible to the screen (I've got to about 18" now!) just so it fills as much of my FOV as possible. Combined with some booming loud headphones it's about as close to VR as you'll get without a headset or a 4K projector.

Back