Sony Vita Games Thread

Went to sonystyle to try out vita. I'm completely sold to it now. I had grown ways apart from my PSP and felt beforehand that there is no life left in psp style contraption. I was so, so wrong, what an amazing piece of hardware and games. I will probably wait a bit more and buy the damn thing once gravity rush is out on US.

The only negative was load times which are hugely disappointing. I wonder if that is the price to pay for flash distribution(have super slow chips to make the price manageable?). Are the load times any better if one buys the games from PSN instead of those flash carts?

The only negative was load times which are hugely disappointing. I wonder if that is the price to pay for flash distribution(have super slow chips to make the price manageable?). Are the load times any better if one buys the games from PSN instead of those flash carts?

Not all games are equally bad though. Wipeout stands out, but it has had a patch, and it caches a lot so that from race to race, the load-times are often halved. And of course the important part, restarting a race, is less than 10 seconds. Games like Uncharted have an initial load, but then while you are playing it's just like all the other Uncharted games, with almost all load-times hidden by boost-ups and silly stuff like that. ;) Plenty of other games hardly have any load-times.

What you do notice though is that even games that don't have that much load-times, because they often have an online aspect (leaderboards and such) there is some slight delay in that - Motorstorm, although it cleverly has plenty of async synchronising of cloud data and leaderboards and such, does still do a lot of online stuff and that does add a delay to games. Lumines has some of the worst use of this, and adds a lot of nonsense wait-times to retrying time trials, and it takes a long time to check your leaderboards (obviously for the main game it matters little). In that respect that bothers me more than the load-times in WipeOut, because that game gets pretty intense and I can use the breaks. ;) (already won the final race btw, but had to skip one and have some side-races still open - Sol is killing me, will have to work on that one a lot, hopefully having the Piranha unlocked helps, as it seems built for that track)

Mostly no complaints from me though and what really helps too is that you can do quite a lot of stuff while you have a game open, so that returning to the game is fast and easy.

I'm still extremely happy with my Vita, even if at times it makes me appreciate the PS3 more too. Some stuff is still ace on the PS3 - selecting Journey in your XMB and having the XMB transform in the Journey themed select screen so smoothly and with some nice details (like the regular text behind the icon disappearing), but other stuff like messaging and interacting with people using near is just fantastic, and surprisingly looks beyond even what iOS does. It stands out all the more because you have the same messages on XMB and it just looks vastly different. It makes my mind boggle to think how much better the console user interface can be if they apply some of this stuff to there and give it some more breathing room, but the advantage of a touch-keyboard on the Vita isn't to be overstated. I can definitely see why a touch interface on a next-gen controller would help a lot in that respect.

All in all though the Vita is pretty close to my dream portable (within realistic limitations of course). If PS Suite becomes what I want it to be, and they add some more features like Video streaming and such, then it's more perfect than I'd have dared to hope (camera's could have been nicer though).

Even the memory cards - the idea that I would buy a 16GB iPad 3 today and be stuck with 16GB forever is crazy, and the markup for 16GB more is as much as a 32GB memory card for the Vita costs today. It is very comforting that I can at least hope that by next year I can stick a 64GB card into my Vita for, say, $50, and that can keep scaling up for the lifetime of the Vita, bring more size and better speeds. Of course I don't have a guarantee - Sony can keep this closed down and small - but I don't think they will.

Got a Vita !!!!!! Too small buttons, too small analog sticks, amazing screen ! Very Wierd to hold in ur hands but am getting used to it . Got Uncharted wih it but am more interested in the AR games n demos. started downloads and now time to sleep while they get done ;)!

The aiming in Uncharted feels that of Killzone 2. Extremely laggy without the gyro aiming. I find myself dreading the shooting part of the game. The graphic a really good and really bad at the same time. It's good in that it is, in terms of effects, lighting and scene set up, I think it is better than U:DF but the sub native res, the jaggies (oh God the jaggies) and the frame rate really detracts from it being what I have come to expect from the series. So I applaud the effort but I think that they should focus on image quality on the next go around. If they can maintain the graphics here, add more variety to the environment and fix the aforementioned issues, and by the Gods reduce the unnecessary swipes and what nots, the it would be perfect.

Btw, Rayman and SSD are just gorgeous on the Vita, UMVC3 is also lovely, the opening cinematics was awesome and really 3D like. I am not enjoying Wipeout and no its not as beautiful as the ps3 version despite the cut in frame rate.

All in all, the Vita is a lovely device, perfectly made except for the proximity of the analogue and the tri,x, o, square button, and I think it has the best launch of any gaming device thus far. My hope is that Sony should treat it as a primary device and not a secondary one as they treated the PSP. And to do this, they HAVE to have their major studios on it; NG, Santa Monica, Gueriila etc. Nintendo don't treat their portable as second fiddle device.

Like all the other games, I got used to the shooting fast enough but I can see what you mean.

I went through WipeOut this weekend and apart from the Sol track, which is effin hard in the 2050 campaign, I got through it fairly easily. I do like it a lot, and find it's smooth enough actually, which I didn't expect after having played a lot of Wipeout HD / Fury just before the Vita came out. I find the single player campaign a little short though, and the multiplayer is much less smooth in terms of framerate, though still definitely playable.

It is however the only game where the presence of the analog stick so close to the x button is bothering me - I have to be careful to not touch the analog stick with my thumb in classic WipeOut mode (my preferred one) because that can cause me to look back, or even worse, flip around. But I feel that is solely the fault of Wipeout itself - it doesn't bother me in any other game, and had WipeOut allowed me to configure my controls manually, that wouldn't have been an issue at all.

As for Uncharted, I would disagree with most people who place it between Uncharted 1 and 2 in terms of graphics. It's a bit lower than 1, though it seems to have higher detail in the geometry oddly enough (I don't know if that is a trick or really true), but the textures really aren't nearly as good (still great for a handheld mind you). However, Uncharted 1 had a rough framerate here and there (Uncharted 2 was a really big step up in many technical areas), and I think the overall framerate of Golden Abyss is actually smoother.

And yes there are some gamecard comparisons, and I think they're about 10% faster than memory cards on average so far, perhaps more if you compare the same size (as we know thanks to DF, the memory cards are faster the bigger they are).

Still having fun with WipeOut, Motorstorm, Uncharted, About a Blob and Lumines.

One thing that strikes me though is that I think I have yet to see a game that implements Near to the point of using location data. I think Modnation Racers and Unit 13 do this, but I don't have those two. I'm a bit surprised by that, hope to see it more in the future.

Like all the other games, I got used to the shooting fast enough but I can see what you mean.

I went through WipeOut this weekend and apart from the Sol track, which is effin hard in the 2050 campaign, I got through it fairly easily. I do like it a lot, and find it's smooth enough actually, which I didn't expect after having played a lot of Wipeout HD / Fury just before the Vita came out. I find the single player campaign a little short though, and the multiplayer is much less smooth in terms of framerate, though still definitely playable.

It is however the only game where the presence of the analog stick so close to the x button is bothering me - I have to be careful to not touch the analog stick with my thumb in classic WipeOut mode (my preferred one) because that can cause me to look back, or even worse, flip around. But I feel that is solely the fault of Wipeout itself - it doesn't bother me in any other game, and had WipeOut allowed me to configure my controls manually, that wouldn't have been an issue at all.

As for Uncharted, I would disagree with most people who place it between Uncharted 1 and 2 in terms of graphics. It's a bit lower than 1, though it seems to have higher detail in the geometry oddly enough (I don't know if that is a trick or really true), but the textures really aren't nearly as good (still great for a handheld mind you). However, Uncharted 1 had a rough framerate here and there (Uncharted 2 was a really big step up in many technical areas), and I think the overall framerate of Golden Abyss is actually smoother.

And yes there are some gamecard comparisons, and I think they're about 10% faster than memory cards on average so far, perhaps more if you compare the same size (as we know thanks to DF, the memory cards are faster the bigger they are).

Still having fun with WipeOut, Motorstorm, Uncharted, About a Blob and Lumines.

One thing that strikes me though is that I think I have yet to see a game that implements Near to the point of using location data. I think Modnation Racers and Unit 13 do this, but I don't have those two. I'm a bit surprised by that, hope to see it more in the future.

Exactly this. I think I have to switch back to the default control set up.

I dunno what all the buzz is about concerning Motorstorm RC.. It is not a great (or even good..) looking game and its extremely basic. You just drive around in circles from an overhead view.

No power ups or destruction like Wipeout/Motorstorm (console), no online multiplayer..

It's a marmite game really - it will either click straight away or you'll go 'WTH!?'

I grew up with Super Sprint and love these types of games - anyone here who likes this should try the free PC game Generally (I was hopeful someone might convert to PS2/3 MS RC is a very close compromise!).

What I would REALLY like is if they opened up the tools and let us design tracks...imagine being able to make F1 tracks (etc)

Regarding the actual hardware I have to say it's the best hardware launch ever for me - I love it to bits, my only complaint is I can have multiple accounts like on the PS3...that would have made it perfect.

If I leave my Vita downloading the games, then after sometime the PS button goes orange and it stops downloading stuff. How do I disable this? I want to leave it overnight downloading games/demos.

It's a marmite game really - it will either click straight away or you'll go 'WTH!?'

I grew up with Super Sprint and love these types of games - anyone here who likes this should try the free PC game Generally (I was hopeful someone might convert to PS2/3 MS RC is a very close compromise!).

What I would REALLY like is if they opened up the tools and let us design tracks...imagine being able to make F1 tracks (etc)

Regarding the actual hardware I have to say it's the best hardware launch ever for me - I love it to bits, my only complaint is I can have multiple accounts like on the PS3...that would have made it perfect.

but the content works. I got the MSRC free from the US store and then reset the system(did not take out the card and did not format the card) and it was available to play on my EU account. But it said I could not earn trophies on it.
But I think there's a workaround for that too, just that I don't know yet.

but the content works. I got the MSRC free from the US store and then reset the system(did not take out the card and did not format the card) and it was available to play on my EU account. But it said I could not earn trophies on it.
But I think there's a workaround for that too, just that I don't know yet.

really? I thought purchased content was locked to each account?

how long does the rest take...this could be an option...

really? I thought purchased content was locked to each account?

how long does the rest take...this could be an option...

You may be able to do it even easier than that. Some stuff you can download to your PS3 with your US account, then install onto your Vita and play with another account. Personally I haven't bothered, I'm fine with the way things are now. Even Motorstorm, 5.99 euro for PS3 and Vita version is as good a deal as getting Vita version free and paying $9.99 for the PS3 version.

If I leave my Vita downloading the games, then after sometime the PS button goes orange and it stops downloading stuff. How do I disable this? I want to leave it overnight downloading games/demos.

Don't lock your Vita with the lock button, but allow it to lock itself (after five minutes, or whatever you choose). If you lock it manually, it will go into powersave and stop downloading. If you allow it to lock itself, it will continue downloading.

I dunno what all the buzz is about concerning Motorstorm RC.. It is not a great (or even good..) looking game and its extremely basic. You just drive around in circles from an overhead view.

No power ups or destruction like Wipeout/Motorstorm (console), no online multiplayer..

Toyed with the RC game a bit. I think it's because the game managed to convey that RC feel very well. I suck in real world RC control games too. The game reminds me of that very same control. :devilish:

I think someone should come up with an RC adaptor for Vita. I bought a gyro-based RC Helicopter a few months ago. It's more fun than a regular RC car.

Toyed with the RC game a bit. I think it's because the game managed to convey that RC feel very well. I suck in real world RC control games too. The game reminds me of that very same control. :devilish:

I think someone should come up with an RC adaptor for Vita. I bought a gyro-based RC Helicopter a few months ago. It's more fun than a regular RC car.

Nice idea!!

Edit: With a camera on the helicopter, I'm sure it'd be a big hit with the peeping toms.:runaway:

Vita cannot play youtube videos?????

Also, turned out there were scratches on one side of my Vita which I noticed after reaching home. Took it back, looks like it was thier demo unit which they sold off to me as a new one :mad: ! Now they say wifi ones are not in stock and a replacement might take a week :oops: ! The fuckers, first they sell me a used product and now they tell me to wait for a week !
I told them to get me a vita by today evening or give me my money back !

Also, i played a few mins of Uncharted and , frankly, found it boring. OTOH, thw Wipeout demo was absolutely amazing ! I should have got Wipeout instead of Uncharted. Lets just hope Uncharted gets better later on, but Wipeout was instant fun ! I want that on my portable !

Edit: and whats this shit about locked trophies ? I can't earn trophies on my original uncharted just because I played it first on a different account ! WTF is this ? :mad:

Vita cannot play youtube videos?????

Not yet, no. Pretty annoying, but hopefully a temporary issue.

I told them to get me a vita by today evening or give me my money back !

Understandable.

Also, i played a few mins of Uncharted and , frankly, found it boring. OTOH, thw Wipeout demo was absolutely amazing ! I should have got Wipeout instead of Uncharted. Lets just hope Uncharted gets better later on, but Wipeout was instant fun ! I want that on my portable !

I agree that some games are more suitable for portable than others, though that said, it also just depends on what you're in the mood for. A long train ride, I'd definitely enjoy Uncharted.

And yes, Uncharted does get better by the way.

Edit: and whats this shit about locked trophies ? I can't earn trophies on my original uncharted just because I played it first on a different account ! WTF is this ? :mad:

You need to delete the save data to enable trophies for your current account. Same if you bought a game used.

Got a new Vita quickly once I pointed it out to them that selling a used item as new was against consumer laws !
Trying to update it now !

@Arwin: How do I delete the save data?

Got a new Vita quickly once I pointed it out to them that selling a used item as new was against consumer laws !
Trying to update it now !

@Arwin: How do I delete the save data?

Keep your finger pressed on the icon until you get the edit mode (compare with iOS hold icon). Then press on the little menu icon where you get e pop-up menu with two options: Delete and Information. If you choose information you can also see if this game can get you trophies (Trophy Earning: Eligible).

Choose Delete to get rid of the save data (if your game is a cartridge, you may need to insert it again, not sure. If the game was a download, you will probably have to download again).

Keep your finger pressed on the icon until you get the edit mode (compare with iOS hold icon). Then press on the little menu icon where you get e pop-up menu with two options: Delete and Information. If you choose information you can also see if this game can get you trophies (Trophy Earning: Eligible).

Choose Delete to get rid of the save data (if your game is a cartridge, you may need to insert it again, not sure. If the game was a download, you will probably have to download again).

ah ! That one, I did that to Motorstorm RC and it deleted the whole game lol :LOL:! I'll see if UC trophies work on my new system.

BTW< thanks to replacing systems, now I have my account activated on the Vita that got replaced ! So, this becomes my second device already:???:

ah ! That one, I did that to Motorstorm RC and it deleted the whole game lol :LOL:! I'll see if UC trophies work on my new system.

BTW< thanks to replacing systems, now I have my account activated on the Vita that got replaced ! So, this becomes my second device already:???:

You should be able to disable the other one online. Not sure where but I saw on GAF it is now possible in most regions.

Back