Sony Vita Games Thread

To be fair here, The Uncharted games on the PS3 all use lower resolution transparency effects as well, and motion blur didn't make an appearance until U2 either. U1 also isn't quite as smooth in terms of framerate and has plenty of tearing.
Besides, the Vita is no PS3.

not to the point that it looks like PSOne level of pixelation like those fire. Some kind of filter would be nice. The frame rate in U1 is miles ahead of this and the mini nuke explotion was beautiful:devilish:. Though I shouldn't even be comparing between those games on different hardware, this is basing off Golden Abyss by itself.

What games have best MP right now? Cos campaigns last a week and then there'll be nothing to do on my new device?
Have no MP shooters been announced? Uncharted, Unit13, Resistance, none of them have MP component?

Unit 13 is online co-op only, Resistance will have online MP, Uncharted was said to have MP DLC later, but I am not sure if it was only a rumor or true. Wipeout have online MP. And I certainly hope that the COD game will have MP, I can't imagine a COD game with no online MP. If that game is real that is.

Hmmm... So its wait n watch right now. Resistance isn't out yet and UC doesn't have MP right now. Have they shown any footage of the MP of Resistance:Burning Skies? I am not so sure about that title, though am a Resistance fan, somehow feels very different than the regualr Resistance gameplay. Hope it has a demo when it launches.
. I will try out Unit 13 demo before making a purchase, though last socom by Zipper was great in SP and this looks just like that.

Hmmm... So its wait n watch right now. Resistance isn't out yet and UC doesn't have MP right now. Have they shown any footage of the MP of Resistance:Burning Skies? I am not so sure about that title, though am a Resistance fan, somehow feels very different than the regualr Resistance gameplay. Hope it has a demo when it launches.
. I will try out Unit 13 demo before making a purchase, though last socom by Zipper was great in SP and this looks just like that.

Note that Unit 13 does have score chasing against friends and such, besides having the co-op mp. I enjoy that a lot, online score chasing, seems to fit my use of the Vita very well - it's just hard to impossible for me to schedule uninterrupted online multiplayer time.

Apart from that the Fighting games all seem to have online competitive MP as well. I know that UvC3 apparently works great, also against PS3 players. First online MP I'm likely to do is probably some Wipeout online career, though even there I can imagine I'll end up chasing friend's times more than actual online.

Still will be interesting of course to see how well the Vita will pull off some of the bigger online stuff.

First up big thing now though for the US will be MLB the Show 12, for Vita and PS3 with cloud saves. I don't know if I saw it right, but Lego Harry Potter 5-7 seems to be coming out as well? And the US is getting Motorstorm RC as well now, so all in all a pretty decent week for the US.

So, it turns out the reason Sony ended up being so squirrely about the cross-platform pricing of Motostorm RC in the US is because Scion is sponsoring a promotion to give the Vita version away for free. For PS3 it's 9.99, but for a limited time you can just download the Vita version at no cost. Presumably after that the 9.99 will still get you both versions, but even if you don't have a Vita right now you can probably just download that version to a PS3 while it's free to get it in your history... Details at the PS Blog here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...riving-to-ps-vita-for-free-courtesy-of-scion/

Can I connect to the internet on the vita through the ps3? That is, can I use my ps3, which is connected to the internet through a wired connection, to connect a Vita to the internet wirelessly?

I don't think PS3 routes WAN traffic in general.

The PS3 private network feature is designed for local RemotePlay connection. When connected to a PS3, all the Vita apps will switch to route through PS3, hence losing WAN access. You remote control the PS3 apps to access Internet and PSN services instead.

The other known application is the Adhoc Party app for hosting PSP adhoc games remotely.

What games have best MP right now? Cos campaigns last a week and then there'll be nothing to do on my new device?
Have no MP shooters been announced? Uncharted, Unit13, Resistance, none of them have MP component?

You may want to look at those Cross-playable games between Vita and PS3. It will allow you to play these games with someone locally.

MP on Vita is more diverse because of expanded platform concepts like Near. e.g., You can trade items with friends and "neighbors" automatically in Uncharted. Ghost competition is also supported by Near's coverage.

Traditional competitive MP shooters are not here yet. In my experience, Vita encourages gaming in a different way. MP is not necessarily the key driver. It's the sense of intimacy, comfort and fun that draw me back to Vita repeatedly. Playing your favorite games in your most comfortable/lazy position and location is pure bliss.

I'm posting this note under my super comfy blanket as we speak. More later... time for breakfast ! ^_^
You might want to check out those PSP games too.

edit: CoD is confirmed for fall 2012 I heard but I didn't verify.

I'm speaking broadly here. I'm with Omaha Media Group (OMG), pretty kick ass place .

We're behind quite a few well known sites along with a few... Highly clever services and applications ;)

We're making waves in the midwest.

Does your company do anything with WebSocket ? It seems like an important technology for nextgen media apps (including games and digital marketing).

EDIT:
It is used by financial institutes, online betting services for high performance web apps. I think it's suitable for PS Home too, but that's another kettle of fish altogether. Gaikai seems like a good match too.

Did a quick search. The only Burning Skies gameplay video is the Gamescom SP trailer:

There is also a concept trailer for CoD for Vita.

After playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss, I think an FPS will take some practices. The Vita dual sticks are small and sensitive. While it won't screw up your DS3 aiming in other games, it may introduce new control schemes such as gyro aiming to the mix.

Unit 13 is said to have more responsive and accurate dual stick controls than U:GA. I don't know if the game is any good.

When you try Vita out in the stores, you may not be able to test the MP mode. I don't think they are set up that way. The demo OS also does not multitask.

While every Vita gamer lusts after Gravity Rush, here's another interesting game, Ciel No Surge. Genre used to be "Others", but has been updated to "Life Simulation" recently. Hope someone brings it stateside.

Gust Announces PlayStation Vita Game
http://andriasang.com/comzqk/gust_vita_game/

A Few Bits About Gust's PlayStation Vita Simulation Surge Concerto
http://andriasang.com/comzsh/surge_concerto_gemaga/

Ciel No Surge Gameplay Flow Explained
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/21/ciel-no-surge-gameplay-flow-explained/

Ciel No Surge, Gust’s PlayStation Vita Game, Has You "Dive" Into Ionasol
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/3...ystation-vita-game-has-you-dive-into-ionasol/

Ciel No Surge Takes Place On A 24 Hour Clock, Has Downloadable Costumes
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/0...on-a-24-hour-clock-has-downloadable-costumes/

Ciel No Surge Has Online Play (Plus Watch Ion’s Hair Grow)
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/08/ciel-no-surge-has-online-play-plus-watch-ions-hair-grow/

Sure, You Can Take Ion On A Date In Ciel No Surge
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/13/sure-you-can-take-ion-on-a-date-in-ciel-no-surge/

Ciel No Surge’s New Characters: Someone Tsundere And Dragon
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/20/ciel-no-surges-new-characters-someone-tsundere-and-dragon/

Surge Concerto: Take Pics of Bar Codes to Restore Ion's Memory
http://andriasang.com/con06u/surge_concerto_bar_code/

The magazine's latest preview details a character growth system. By taking pictures of bar codes, you can create fairy characters known as "sharls." As you raise your fairies, you'll find that main character Ion's memory is recovered.

We're not sure of the specifics on how you raise the fairies. It seems that you can given them HymP, which is short for "Human Points." With HymP, the fairies will get new costumes and accessories, allowing you to customize them.

Outside of the growth component, Dengeki introduces a new character, Kanon. ...

Unit 13 does have a much more responsive control than uncharted, the game isn't design with any gyro aiming in mind, just standard analog aiming, on top of that, the frame rate seems to be steadier most of the time. I was worried that the sticks is going sucks for fps which is bad news for COD or any future fps. Unit 13 proof to me that the sticks works great. Unit 13 is almost like a proof of concept to other developers that are to make shooter on the system honestly, it shows how missing 4 buttons isn't really much of an issue on the platform. Things like sprinting with L3 might even works easier (at least for me) if they do something like holding analog up + down on the dpad since the stick and the dpad are close enough. I think games with weapon wheel, or something like bioshock would work even better if they map the plasmid and weapons to individual slots on the sides of the screen with touch control so you can do real time swapping like PC instead of going through a weapon list and pause the game.

I heard that Unit13's aiming also feels better due to a better framerate. I will definitely chk out Unit13 once I get my vita. Does it feel exactly like Socom(ps3) ? Cos that was one good game, no matter what people say. But yes, a lot of the appeal was also due to oredering your squad mates around, which Unit13 lacks. The fights were basically playgrounds where you tried different stuff till you cleared it.

But even just as a TPS, the game was fine and I expect atleast the same experience shooter wise in Unit13.

Actually the four missing buttons can very well be replaced by the trackpad at the back, it is one of the control settings for Remote play where specific parts of the track pad act as individual buttons from the PS3 controller.

interesting, but not that much !

EDIT: Just saw the gameplay from the beginning of the jap version of Gravity Rush ! The game is amazing :p ! That is the game to get , everything else seems boring in front of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

interesting, but not that much !

EDIT: Just saw the gameplay from the beginning of the jap version of Gravity Rush ! The game is amazing :p ! That is the game to get , everything else seems boring in front of that.

Yes sir, in terms of concepts, both Gravity Rush and Ciel No Surge sound wacky.
But the meat and potatoes for me at this point are the proven PSP games. ^_^

For smaller titles, I'd say SoundShapes has the most charm/magic.

My son always ask "Do you have SoundShapes ?" every time he caught a glimpse of my Vita. When I say "Not out yet", he'd return to his iPad quietly. I sure hope the game turn out well. We enjoyed the simple level in the Vita Hill club.

I heard that Unit13's aiming also feels better due to a better framerate. I will definitely chk out Unit13 once I get my vita. Does it feel exactly like Socom(ps3) ? Cos that was one good game, no matter what people say. But yes, a lot of the appeal was also due to oredering your squad mates around, which Unit13 lacks. The fights were basically playgrounds where you tried different stuff till you cleared it.

But even just as a TPS, the game was fine and I expect atleast the same experience shooter wise in Unit13.

Have you tried Metal Gears Solid: Portable Ops on PSP/Vita ? It's one of my favorite PSP games. I highly recommend it.

Gameplay includes TPS shooting, army building, and weapon upgrade + collection. To build an army, you kidnap enemy soldiers one by one (instead of cutting their throats), and imprison/convince them. Every enemy solider has different stats and specialty (e.g., spying, assault, R&D, etc.).

Unit 13 proof to me that the sticks works great. Unit 13 is almost like a proof of concept to other developers that are to make shooter on the system honestly, it shows how missing 4 buttons isn't really much of an issue on the platform. Things like sprinting with L3 might even works easier (at least for me) if they do something like holding analog up + down on the dpad since the stick and the dpad are close enough. I think games with weapon wheel, or something like bioshock would work even better if they map the plasmid and weapons to individual slots on the sides of the screen with touch control so you can do real time swapping like PC instead of going through a weapon list and pause the game.

Actually the four missing buttons can very well be replaced by the trackpad at the back, it is one of the control settings for Remote play where specific parts of the track pad act as individual buttons from the PS3 controller.

Yes, I think gyro aiming works the best with on-rail shooters.

Games with maps and other tactical or strategic planning should fly with the touch screen. ^_^
Hoping for something like MAG for Vita in the future.

A Gundam gun fight + sword duel game should work well on the platform also.

Great, I just got my 'free' WipeOut code from Vodafone. :)

Back