Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shortbread, Nov 15, 2018.

1. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Are you sure?

I only know of the DICE keynote tomorrow by Shawn Layden. Which is probably just the usual PR.

2. wco81

Legend

Not sure at all. I thought someone mentioned in one of the threads that there would be some event?

The same one that Sony ran when they announced the PS4?

Isn't it around March that their fiscal year ends? Also some big holiday in Japan some time in March too.

3. MrFox

Legend Veteran

No that was a clever troll who sent fake invites to journalists. I admit I was impressed.

BRiT likes this.
  4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

For hardware / big purchases, I like the idea of a long run way to do some planning and research.
    For video games, I don't mind announcement followed by a close/sell tomorrow/same date.

Though respectfully, not all titles can pull that off and some genres are designed for it, others will fail terribly without a year or 2 runway.

5. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Do you mean the PlayStation Destination, which is their big meeting with retail reps? It's never been public facing.

6. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Well, Shawn Laden did say see us in the new year so there has to be some kind of news or media coverage happening at some point in 2019. I highly doubt we'll hear anything related to next gen tho since they're still trying to pimp up the remaining AAA titles without getting cannibalized by a PS5 reveal.

7. milk

Veteran Regular

Some titles having to have a 2 year lead up sounds even restrained compared to Sony right now. Dreams was announced before PS4 launch. LoU2 was announced e years ago. Days Gone even further back... A E3-less year is gonna do them some good.

8. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Sony right now
    [​IMG]

Sony at PS5 unveil
    [​IMG]

Sony at PS5 launch
    [​IMG]

No words are needed.

9. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

December 2016 for TLoU2. It sure feels longer, though.

10. milk

Veteran Regular

Which makes it more than 2 years ago, and it's yet to launch. That was my point. It could be announced this year, and still have time to build hype.

11. MrFox

Legend Veteran

I do like knowing what's coming, as long as they have enough to talk about what they are working on because some unveilings were basically just a title. I hate delays but I'd rather see a delay than a bad game, or worse, a delayed bad game.

TLoU2 must meet ridiculously high expectations. They better take all the time they need.

London-boy likes this.
  12. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Not only is it yet to launch it's yet to have a launch date or even a window. Not even a launch year.

13. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

a title like TLOU2 could have 1 month of hype or even 1 week of hype and it would sell gangbusters.

Announcing as early as they did was an effective way to grab as large as a crowd as possible sooner (thus committing to PS ecosystem earlier in the decision cycle) then waiting super late to announce, in which perhaps they would have committed to a competitors ecosystem.

orangpelupa, Shifty Geezer and AlBran like this.
  14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yeah. Imagine someone wanting to buy a console now to play multiplayer titles, and then they see Games X and Y look great and are coming only to platform Z (eventually). That helps sway the purchasing decisions to Platform Z. I don't know what actual numbers that'll account for though. My gut says not many but I could be wrong on that.

iroboto likes this.
  15. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

Nintendo used to see it as an issue. :p

16. milk

Veteran Regular

I understand why they do it.
    I still hope they have more about-to-launch games on the pipeline so that they could still have new games to show to pull people into their ecosystem without having to cobble up demos for stuff that won't be out in another 3 years, which then keeps re-apearing on multiple other events for years.
    And the optimist in me thinks Sony sees this the same way, and that's another reason they are skipping this e3. To "charge up" some new hot content for next gen.

17. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

I'm generally not a betting man. But I'm pretty sure they want to go into next-gen this time around, with a lot of content ready around launch window.

I think this is a reasonable strategy to transition from this to next gen. Whatever the reason, the windows didn't line up for them and they had to result to missing this E3. A perfect run would have been them firing 2019, but being ahead as a leader and skipping E3 is reasonable loss if you can launch with very strong content in 2020. It can also be simpler messaging to announce all your new exclusives with the new generation hardware.

If the strategy is to get people to move to PS5 as soon as possible, you don't want to end the generation releasing new exclusives on PS4. Even though with BC they would carry over to PS5, I get that. But that's seems against the goal.

milk likes this.
  18. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

I'm positive they will have some sort of event. Maybe before or after e3 but there will be something, unless they were planning for PS5 and the rumored Navi setback has pushed them back.

Even then I expect them to have something but it's tough because I expect everything they have left for PS4 they have shown multiple times.