Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Not sure at all. I thought someone mentioned in one of the threads that there would be some event?

The same one that Sony ran when they announced the PS4?

Isn't it around March that their fiscal year ends? Also some big holiday in Japan some time in March too.

Not sure at all. I thought someone mentioned in one of the threads that there would be some event?

The same one that Sony ran when they announced the PS4?

Isn't it around March that their fiscal year ends? Also some big holiday in Japan some time in March too.
No that was a clever troll who sent fake invites to journalists. I admit I was impressed.

And I just wish they'd stop.
For hardware / big purchases, I like the idea of a long run way to do some planning and research.
For video games, I don't mind announcement followed by a close/sell tomorrow/same date.

Though respectfully, not all titles can pull that off and some genres are designed for it, others will fail terribly without a year or 2 runway.

Well, Shawn Laden did say see us in the new year so there has to be some kind of news or media coverage happening at some point in 2019. I highly doubt we'll hear anything related to next gen tho since they're still trying to pimp up the remaining AAA titles without getting cannibalized by a PS5 reveal.

For hardware / big purchases, I like the idea of a long run way to do some planning and research.
For video games, I don't mind announcement followed by a close/sell tomorrow/same date.

Though respectfully, not all titles can pull that off and some genres are designed for it, others will fail terribly without a year or 2 runway.
Some titles having to have a 2 year lead up sounds even restrained compared to Sony right now. Dreams was announced before PS4 launch. LoU2 was announced e years ago. Days Gone even further back... A E3-less year is gonna do them some good.

Sony right now
Sting+in+rafters

Sony at PS5 unveil
StingWCW.jpg

Sony at PS5 launch
Starrcade_Sting.0.0.jpg

No words are needed.

December 2016 for TLoU2. It sure feels longer, though.
Which makes it more than 2 years ago, and it's yet to launch. That was my point. It could be announced this year, and still have time to build hype.

I do like knowing what's coming, as long as they have enough to talk about what they are working on because some unveilings were basically just a title. I hate delays but I'd rather see a delay than a bad game, or worse, a delayed bad game.

TLoU2 must meet ridiculously high expectations. They better take all the time they need.

Which makes it more than 2 years ago, and it's yet to launch. That was my point. It could be announced this year, and still have time to build hype.
Not only is it yet to launch it's yet to have a launch date or even a window. Not even a launch year.

a title like TLOU2 could have 1 month of hype or even 1 week of hype and it would sell gangbusters.

Announcing as early as they did was an effective way to grab as large as a crowd as possible sooner (thus committing to PS ecosystem earlier in the decision cycle) then waiting super late to announce, in which perhaps they would have committed to a competitors ecosystem.

Yeah. Imagine someone wanting to buy a console now to play multiplayer titles, and then they see Games X and Y look great and are coming only to platform Z (eventually). That helps sway the purchasing decisions to Platform Z. I don't know what actual numbers that'll account for though. My gut says not many but I could be wrong on that.

Announcing as early as they did was an effective way to grab as large as a crowd as possible sooner (thus committing to PS ecosystem earlier in the decision cycle) then waiting super late to announce, in which perhaps they would have committed to a competitors ecosystem.

I understand why they do it.
I still hope they have more about-to-launch games on the pipeline so that they could still have new games to show to pull people into their ecosystem without having to cobble up demos for stuff that won't be out in another 3 years, which then keeps re-apearing on multiple other events for years.
And the optimist in me thinks Sony sees this the same way, and that's another reason they are skipping this e3. To "charge up" some new hot content for next gen.

To "charge up" some new hot content for next gen.
I'm generally not a betting man. But I'm pretty sure they want to go into next-gen this time around, with a lot of content ready around launch window.

I think this is a reasonable strategy to transition from this to next gen. Whatever the reason, the windows didn't line up for them and they had to result to missing this E3. A perfect run would have been them firing 2019, but being ahead as a leader and skipping E3 is reasonable loss if you can launch with very strong content in 2020. It can also be simpler messaging to announce all your new exclusives with the new generation hardware.

If the strategy is to get people to move to PS5 as soon as possible, you don't want to end the generation releasing new exclusives on PS4. Even though with BC they would carry over to PS5, I get that. But that's seems against the goal.

I'm positive they will have some sort of event. Maybe before or after e3 but there will be something, unless they were planning for PS5 and the rumored Navi setback has pushed them back.

Even then I expect them to have something but it's tough because I expect everything they have left for PS4 they have shown multiple times.

a title like TLOU2 could have 1 month of hype or even 1 week of hype and it would sell gangbusters.

The last video they showed of it a few months ago was great though. It looks great so guess they will release once it's done.

I'm generally not a betting man. But I'm pretty sure they want to go into next-gen this time around, with a lot of content ready around launch window.

I think this is a reasonable strategy to transition from this to next gen. Whatever the reason, the windows didn't line up for them and they had to result to missing this E3. A perfect run would have been them firing 2019, but being ahead as a leader and skipping E3 is reasonable loss if you can launch with very strong content in 2020. It can also be simpler messaging to announce all your new exclusives with the new generation hardware.

If the strategy is to get people to move to PS5 as soon as possible, you don't want to end the generation releasing new exclusives on PS4. Even though with BC they would carry over to PS5, I get that. But that's seems against the goal.
Yeah but even if TLoU2 does get released for PS4, it will still be content for a PS5 when the console does release. All they have to do is drop a patch which up's the graphics, fps etc. Hell, they can do the same with God of War and I would be all over the console to get to play God of War with 4K graphics at 60fps+ etc.

Ghost of Tsushima is a title I expect on PS4, however I can easliy see playing on PS5 in all it's glory.

As long as they allow backwards compatible gaming, which the rumours tend to say so, then they will have enough content for the PS5 without having real PS5 only games.

Back