Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shortbread, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

$499 isn't a bad price, especially when BOM parts are just getting more expensive. The faster $399 dies, the better off console manufactures and gamers will be. Unless your name is Nintendo…

DSoup, ultragpu and BRiT like this.
  2. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I read it as it was worded. Instead of "Camera included in the console for headset tracking," it should have been "Camera included with the console for headset tracking."

Either way, it's still bullshit. Why would Sony 'not' want to profit off an external game accessory like a PS camera? Why would they run the risk of a 'Kinect' type fiasco with the added hardware cost of inclusion, or the lack of game usage (especially if the user doesn't purchase PSVR-2) and support by developers? Yeah, BS...

3. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

It’s really quite astonishing how the price of video games, and consoles, hasn’t really moved a lot in the last three decades, compared to a lot of other things. Purely in terms consumer behaviour, it’s a mystery to me.

Try to move away from that $399 price point and wars erupt.

Meanwhile we rush to go buy mobile phones which now cost more than double as much as a console. Three times even.

So weird.

DSoup, egoless, ultragpu and 2 others like this.
  4. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Pernonally i wouldnt mind the PS5 being att $500, if the hardware is more in line with 2020 hardware then PS4 was with 2013 hardware. But i doubt any of it is true anyway, in one post he claims he says the only spec he can give is the CPU, which according to the reddit poster will be a Ryzen 8 core. I doubt anyone with that information would risk their career for something like that and second, a ryzen, wouldnt it be named different in that case?

5. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Agree, dont understand people paying close to 2000 for a iphone XS, crazy.

egoless and London-boy like this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Kinect 2 was pretty expensive to make.
    Sony can probably make a camera using their own sensors and mics for party chat, video-chat, voice commands etc. for less than a handful of dollars.
    I don't actually think PSVR2 will need it because it'll have inside-out tracking.

It's not weird at all.
    Try to compare the amount of time you spend looking at content from your console, to the time you spend holding and looking at your mobile phone.

A good mobile phone can make a difference in one's quality of life nowadays, in a constant, 24/7 all-year around manner.
    The console is only relevant when you're playing games.

7. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I gave up on trying to understand a certain segment of console gamers (you know, the bitchers). They'll complain about console power (weak specs) or that consoles aren't making graphical leaps... yet, unwilling to pay for that type of experience beyond their magical $399. o_O

London-boy likes this.
  8. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

More gaming, less cell phoning! :wink:

London-boy and Shortbread like this.
  9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I have to disagree. It's plenty useful when doing other things from the coach like web surfing (with a keyboard/mouse), video watching and streaming (e.g., YouTube, Netflix, Prime, Twitch, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, News, etc..), media center/extender needs, and tons of other apps for media and gaming needs.

#129 Shortbread, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  10. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

For those things, its even better with a tablet, laptop etc, sure they can stream to TV's nowadays too.

11. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Well there's your problem. Here's Giant Bomb's E3 2018 portal.

If you scroll down the "Latest Stories" section you still see all kinds of news posts for smaller releases. When it was live, it was constantly being populated with new descriptions/trailers throughout the show.

12. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I think the underlying psychology is more political revolving their console factions than anything else. Faction A would want their console to win the sales war, so the risk of being $100 more than the competition poses a threat in such a war :). Unless of course both sides offer the same $499, but that's darn near impossible to know without company formally announcing it. Otherwise $100 really doesn't mean much these days, $200 sure but even that is well worth it if you have the teraflops and quality launch titles to back it up.

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Well to play devils advocate here .

1) a camera is not expensive. Some really nice sony sensors are $8 to $15

2) Streaming is a huge deal now in a way it wasn't in 2013. So a camera included in the consoles can serve 2 purposes.

3) well maybe 3 purposes. Voice control has become really big in interacting with tvs. Alexa , Google home , altice from cable vision and so on all have voice controls. Mics are also not very expensive. Sony is pushing vue very hard so it could be a play to get into that market.

4) by moving the cost of the camera from the psvr bundle to the console it can reduce the entry point for people to get into the vr space

I've actually thought that it would be smart for MS (but also sony) to provide a camera for tracking (even though ms uses slam for their wmr) that also includes 60ghz wifi for wireless headsets that way they have a line of site for it.

14. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Regarding the price, I mentioned mobile phones as one obvious example. But pretty much everything else has had huge changes in price in the last 20-30 years, yet games and consoles still have this weird limit and I just don’t get it at all.

15. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Graphics card prices have gone up for every gen and ppl still buy them like its nothing.

London-boy likes this.
  16. goonergaz

Veteran

Yes and no. I mean, generally tech stuff has become cheaper or stagnated. As an example of stagnation, in the 90's where I worked the 'top of the range' TV was ~£2K...and whilst you can/could spend more today 2K get's you a 'top of the range TV'.

But I do know what you mean...the whole console price thing is odd but then I guess they can make it at those prices so...

FTR, I find it odd and frankly unbelievable that the RRP is $500 just because I don't think Sony know (especially this far out). I suspect $500 is the ceiling price? I mean, the guys says he can't even confirm BC!?

London-boy and vipa899 like this.
  17. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Yes seems strange, just because he has e3 info doesnt mean hw rumors are true.

BRiT likes this.
  18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I guess for something that can only play games and do nothing else, this might be where price sensitivity becomes and issue. If consoles open up to do a variety of additional tasks, then perhaps people would be willing to pay more.

19. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Makes sense, why not make them full fledged pc's anyway, ppl are willing to pay more for the device then. They are allready mid range pcs that play exclusives, it would be a software/os change.

20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

It's a bit of a pandora's box. You open it up to do more, and the hardware gets used to do other things and it tanks your market it a bit. Gets harder to control what your main focus is etc. You go to broad and you become master of none.

vipa899 likes this.