Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing

Makes sense, why not make them full fledged pc's anyway, ppl are willing to pay more for the device then. They are allready mid range pcs that play exclusives, it would be a software/os change.
It's a bit of a pandora's box. You open it up to do more, and the hardware gets used to do other things and it tanks your market it a bit. Gets harder to control what your main focus is etc. You go to broad and you become master of none.

It's a bit of a pandora's box. You open it up to do more, and the hardware gets used to do other things and it tanks your market it a bit. Gets harder to control what your main focus is etc. You go to broad and you become master of none.

Then i dont know either if just GDDR memory lends well to pc-use?

I guess for something that can only play games and do nothing else, this might be where price sensitivity becomes and issue. If consoles open up to do a variety of additional tasks, then perhaps people would be willing to pay more.

Consoles also play a whole lot of streaming services, and millions of people use them for that.

But really the question remains, comparative to other items such as video cards (mad example but it was mentioned here), you could say the same, yet video card prices have gone up like mad.

Phones, yes they can do a lot but what do we actually, really use them for? Internet, one call here and there, messages, social media. Does that justify them being so much more expensive, and going up every year?

Maybe it’s just me but I’d run to the shops to get a powerful £500 console, compared to what we’d get with a 299-399 one.

Consoles also play a whole lot of streaming services, and millions of people use them for that.

But really the question remains, comparative to other items such as video cards (mad example but it was mentioned here), you could say the same, yet video card prices have gone up like mad.

Phones, yes they can do a lot but what do we actually, really use them for? Internet, one call here and there, messages, social media. Does that justify them being so much more expensive, and going up every year?

Maybe it’s just me but I’d run to the shops to get a powerful £500 console, compared to what we’d get with a 299-399 one.
video cards can be used professionally or for games. It's hardware required for data science, for game development, for playing games, for doing cad or modelling work, bitcoin mining.

I would agree, but GPUs have many more use cases in that provide ROI and not just pure entertainment.

Phones to some people are more important than their wallet. Unfortunately its the main media conduit to the content we want.

You could make a business case on ROI on a phone.

Using phones as a point of comparison is probably a fools errand.

Phones range from £100 to £1000+ now, the £100 will get you 70% of the functionality of the £1000 model. I am typing this message on a Pocopjone F1 which cost me £265 yet comes with a Snapdragon 845 and 6GB RAM, which tells you all you need to know about how much the premium phones price is down to BOM.

A more prudent point is that most people don't pay £1000 up front for these phones, they have then on a 24 month tariff which spreads the cost.

Maybe this is something we will see for consoles going forward, with the cost baked into PS Plus / Xbox Live subscription.

Using phones as a point of comparison is probably a fools errand.

Phones range from £100 to £1000+ now, the £100 will get you 70% of the functionality of the £1000 model. I am typing this message on a Pocopjone F1 which cost me £265 yet comes with a Snapdragon 845 and 6GB RAM, which tells you all you need to know about how much the premium phones price is down to BOM.

A more prudent point is that most people don't pay £1000 up front for these phones, they have then on a 24 month tariff which spreads the cost.

Maybe this is something we will see for consoles going forward, with the cost baked into PS Plus / Xbox Live subscription.

It already exists for Microsoft, it's called Xbox All Access. It's limited in where it's offered, for now. I hope to see Xbox All Access continue on for additional countries and for next-gen. It's a great deal and is what you're talking about.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/xboxallaccess

Pernonally i wouldnt mind the PS5 being att $500, if the hardware is more in line with 2020 hardware then PS4 was with 2013 hardware.

Yeah, I don't think it's actually that unreasonable. $399 as the "norm" was an increase from two generations of $299 being the "norm" with PS1 & PS2. Two gens at 399 would mean we are due for an increase.

Graphics card prices have gone up for every gen and ppl still buy them like its nothing.

Well, yeah, but PC gamers are stupid.

I have yet to read a single reason why this is a killer strategy that will work out better for Sony than attending E3.

I mean I've read a great deal of why they may not be interested in joining E3, but I've yet to see someone explain how this particular move is going to turn out better than just hosting E3 as they have for the last 25 years.

IMHO, E3 is just a relic from a time where smartphones, tablets, internet, social media, video streaming, and other internet driven news/media outlets were in their infancy or not around. Sony missing from E3 shows of the 90s would be troubling, not so much today. I'm not saying E3 is completely irrelevant, but with todays social media and video streaming sites, and the many ways of connecting to them, E3 isn't the juggernaut it once was. Sony (Microsoft and Nintendo too) can hold their own event, have more time on what to present (quality control), have tighter control over possible leaks, offer a more direct appeal to current users, entice new consumers by having a more independent showing of their wares/IPs, and of course use social media sites, video streaming providers and other internet outlets on getting their message out broadly. In the end, not being at E3 isn't going to harm Sony or any other console manufacture that has a large social media presence.

I mean I've read a great deal of why they may not be interested in joining E3, but I've yet to see someone explain how this particular move is going to turn out better than just hosting E3 as they have for the last 25 years.
This threads goes at length into that, no? Away from E3, Sony have the spotlight. They have a big enough brand to have all the eyes of the world on them whenever they choose to announce something. E3 was about getting everyone in one place to show stuff that they otherwise couldn't see, but that's no longer the case. So Sony can schedule things to their plan, picking date, venue, time, partners, and hold it whenever they want, meaning something like Apple or Samsung, "PS5 is launching in two months, in April because goonergaz recommended it," if they really wanted.

It's as much about not being in total control as anything. That's something Sony can do with PS as strong as it is but someone else would need to be at E3 to not be overlooked. SEGA or AMD would probably need to announce a new console at E3 rather than have their own event.

MS probably benefit more from being at E3 as the eyes of gamers who aren't Xbox fans are looking that way so they'll get better coverage with their messages (and lots and lots of social coverage as we discuss how confused we are over what the hell they're trying to say with those messages. :p).

Remember the E3 2016 when Microsoft announced the X1X for 2017? Rumour has it that Sony were going to announce the Pro there, but Microsoft got wind and wanted to steal Sony's thunder. If there's any truth to that rumour, it's reason enough to avoid E3 for launching a console.

Arguably, there's the loss of an opportunity to show off a bunch of its content at E3, but if Sony spend a shedload of money, somewhere in 2019, on a PS5 launch announcement, what would be the point in replicating that at E3? It would be another shedload of money just to elicit a worldwide response of "seen it."

If the XBoxTwo launches in 2020, and the PS5 launches in 2019, Sony can afford to spend its first year delivering 4K60 versions of current generation content. So, I suppose they could sort of coast E3 2019 by signing deals with third parties to make it clear that their 4K60 game is running on a PS5.

This threads goes at length into that, no? Away from E3, Sony have the spotlight. They have a big enough brand to have all the eyes of the world on them whenever they choose to announce something. E3 was about getting everyone in one place to show stuff that they otherwise couldn't see, but that's no longer the case. So Sony can schedule things to their plan, picking date, venue, time, partners, and hold it whenever they want, meaning something like Apple or Samsung, "PS5 is launching in two months, in April because goonergaz recommended it," if they really wanted.

It's as much about not being in total control as anything. That's something Sony can do with PS as strong as it is but someone else would need to be at E3 to not be overlooked. SEGA or AMD would probably need to announce a new console at E3 rather than have their own event.

MS probably benefit more from being at E3 as the eyes of gamers who aren't Xbox fans are looking that way so they'll get better coverage with their messages (and lots and lots of social coverage as we discuss how confused we are over what the hell they're trying to say with those messages. :p).

lol, git! :p

(FTR I never recommended but will take credit if they do it and it's a success!)

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-shawn-layden-wants-fewer-bigger-playstation-games/
Ignore the headline to avoid frustration.

Shawn Layden on skipping E3 2019
And with our decision to do fewer games -- bigger games -- over longer periods of time, we got to a point where June of 2019 was not a time for us to have a new thing to say. And we feel like if we ring the bell and people show up here in force, people have expectation "Oh, they're going to tell us something."

We are progressing the conversation about, how do we transform E3 to be more relevant? Can E3 transition more into a fan festival of gaming, where we don't gather there to drop the new bomb? Can't it just be a celebration of games and have panels where we bring game developers closer to fans?

There are some takeaway items from this interview.
a) Don't expect anything before E3 2019. Once again, it makes no sense that they would have their own major press conference before E3 and have nothing new to say at E3. So the earliest we could hear about PS5 is late 2019 or likely just 2020.

b) They have nothing new to say that's why they skipped E3. Thus the commentary about hoping E3 can be about more than just dropping a new bomb. Which is fine granted, but they don't have a bomb to drop.

c) This plays strongly into my belief that 2019 was supposed to be when they announced PS5 but plans changed and 2019 became a gap year for them with no new announcements ready because they are tied in with PS5 but can't talk about those titles until PS5 is announced.

MS has nothing to say either, yet they are going big on E3 just to show off 3rd party multi-platform games. I don't think being at E3 means you do or don't have something to talk about. Sony is likely probably trying to control the message better by doing something on their own to avoid leaks and own their own stage.

I kinda agree. "We have nothing to say" is not a very good statement from Sony. Unless it's a HUGE BOMB OMG!!!11!!11 where they say that, and then the day after they come out with a huge next gen announcement.

c) This plays strongly into my belief that 2019 was supposed to be when they announced PS5 but plans changed and 2019 became a gap year for them...
Yep. There have been several sightings of SIE executives backpacking around Europe. :yep2:

They annonce new games at least 2 years in advance, with gameplay and playable at E3 at least one year in advance.

There's a lot of AAA launching in 2019 and early 2020, but they can't show ps5 games before announcing ps5.

Looks like they must hold their breath for one year. Because ps5 games have to be announced in february to launch in november.

That interview is second time recently with "stubborn" mentions of service and aqusition made in one sentence, first time on Q&A after last quater conference call.
At turn of 2015/16 there was talk about "evolution of technology" from some sony japanese tech officer , and "building even stronger playstation " from Shawn and then, few months passed and bam ther is Ps4Pro. Rich Leadbetter told to look closly for hints, wonder what this might be about. Sony buying steam and merging with netflix confirmed.:runaway:

There is a Playstation event scheduled soon right?

It's around March?

Around the time of the launch of this generation, there were questions about the viability of the console model. But MS for one was bullish, talking about hundreds of millions installed base, because Kinect was going to dominate.

So this generation put those questions to rest. But with the onset of the next generation, I'm not sure those questions are completely gone.

Back