Sony @ GDC: Phil Harrison's Keynote

"11:23 AM PDT- A clip showing a futuristic city is shown, with a blimp reading Ratchet and Clank. The camera pans through the city with enemy robots and flying vehicles overhead. "

OK, I was so so wrong about this keynote. They really seem to be going all out.

Titanio said:
"11:23 AM PDT- A clip showing a futuristic city is shown, with a blimp reading Ratchet and Clank. The camera pans through the city with enemy robots and flying vehicles overhead. "

Grrrr, that's a video i want to see!

IGN is reporting that the knight demo is from Heavenly Sword (Deano)...

In his platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison presented the new PS3 game Heavenly Sword.

This time, though, it was in realtime, with real physics and realtime sound production. The camera in the demo zoomed out to show characters as if ants miles away, then zoomed tight for amazing close-ups.

Another Insomniac demo, non-interactive. A fantasy world - "very like the city in Fifth Element" says our man despite our pleas for him not to editorialise. "Flying cars, huge baroque skyscrapers." Baroque eh? Ooh I read a book once la-di-dah! And then a ship floats past with the Ratchet & Clank logo on it, apparently.

Digital distribution is a major change for our industry, says Harrison, and talking about it will be a big deal at GDCs for years to come.

Brilliant news. :D

I am very excited by the things said that are demonstrated.Even if some are tech demos.

If things are any indication this will become what PS2 was supposed to be but wasnt at the end.

CGI graphucs (hoepfully), great online service. HDD included, more functional extra features etc etc
And physics is all we need to define the nexg gen and things seem very bright in that department.

Mythos said:

In his platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison presented the new PS3 game Heavenly Sword.

This time, though, it was in realtime, with real physics and realtime sound production. The camera in the demo zoomed out to show characters as if ants miles away, then zoomed tight for amazing close-ups.

screw it! I want to see this video. :mad:

"2:26 - In the future Sony wants to move away from disk based software distribution to an entirely digital scheme."

dukmahsik said:
while 1000 ragdolls is nice, it's nuttin compared to thousands in kameo
Not that it has anything to do with the topic, but what the hey, what would this forum be without a bit of inter-console warfare eh! ;)

Besides, "ragdoll" implies there would be full per-poly collision detection, inverse kinematics on all limbs and so on. Kameo isn't doing this in the mass scene(s) AFAIK, from what I've read it's just throwing a lot of models around.

drpepper said:
I can't believe their online stuff is free. There has to be a catch.

There is no catch...unlike Microsoft who is not a content provider...Sony has plenty of media content to capitalize on (music, movies, tv shows, back catalogue of games, etc.). The online marketplace supplemented by hdd makes this possible for them.

Mythos said:

Thumbs up for Deano and everyone at NT. Seems like they made quite an impression on Sony

GDC 2006: Heavenly Sword Demo

from ign:

IGN said:
In the game, the presentation from E3 of warriors was shown again, this time with thousands being blown up and thrown about as before. This time, though, it was in realtime, with real physics and realtime sound production. The camera in the demo zoomed out to show characters as if ants miles away, then zoomed tight for amazing close-ups.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697623p1.html

PeterT said:

Wow, interesting. Looks like they're soliciting content for a XBLA style initiative, for independent devs?

"11:32 AM PDT- Some sort of karaoke game is shown. There are like 35 variations of this game over in Europe. It features a number of fully licensed tunes."

Also, because you can never have enough warhawk, some description from Kotaku:

"Dylan Jobe, the producer and director of Warhawk, takes the stage.

Nice, they’re showing what looks to be a playable game. A futuristic fighter zooms around large ships. Lasers, missles and gun fire dance around hitting enormous capital ships and hundreds of smaller fighters dogfight. Jobe points out that the clouds and waves are all rendered live.

All of the lighting, which is high def, is being rendered live. It looks amazing."

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/live-blogging-ps3-part-2-162242.php

Back