Sony @ GDC: Phil Harrison's Keynote

This ought to be a good acid test for crowd reaction - apparently a real-time MotorStorm demo is on display. MotorStorm was one of the most controversial of the E3 videos last year, but early reports from our man (yes, it is a man) suggest that there's plenty of mud flying around and dust going everywhere, HDR effects and highly detailed visuals. Hmm, mud-slinging... Wheels leave wet mud trails which are persistent, says Harrison; as they dry out, they change the contours of the ground and mess with your suspension realistically...

:oops:

more on MotorStorm:

This ought to be a good acid test for crowd reaction - apparently a real-time MotorStorm demo is on display. MotorStorm was one of the most controversial of the E3 videos last year, but early reports from our man (yes, it is a man) suggest that there's plenty of mud flying around and dust going everywhere, HDR effects and highly detailed visuals. Hmm, mud-slinging... Wheels leave wet mud trails which are persistent, says Harrison; as they dry out, they change the contours of the ground and mess with your suspension realistically...

Sindre said:
Next up it's online shops within MotorStorm and F1, integrated with the graphical style of those games so that people can download new cars, tracks and so on.

I wonder if they'll have game credits type of system for trading these cars etc, where gamers can have some persitent type functionality with the game. Build cars, sell them , trade them online, buy upgrades.

Speng.

Sindre said:
more on MotorStorm:

Wow, sounds nice :D Physics again..:)

Then it's onto a new Insomniac Games FPS, Resistance: Fall of Man, featuring lots of aliens, clever weapons (our man says), although not a lot of environmental physics apparently. We'll see.

Then it's onto a new Insomniac Games FPS, Resistance: Fall of Man, featuring lots of aliens, clever weapons (our man says), although not a lot of environmental physics apparently. We'll see.

Nice!

PHYSICS!!! PHYSICS!!! PHYSICS!!! FTW!

Maybe gameplay and immersive qualities of games will actually change now.

Oh yeah, and most important thing mentioned so far:

"...Moving on, he says PS3 production will ramp up faster than either PSone or PS2, and that the November launch includes Australia and Asia-outside-Japan, as expected."

Wow, I can't believe they're showing so much stuff! I wonder how Resistance is looking now, vs last E3..

Wow, at the online stuff. Unified login - thank you!!

2:08 - Standard services will be entirely free.
2:09 - third party game servers can connect easily.
2:10 - unified login capable as well as matchmaking, video and voice chat. Friends list. numerous shops where games can be bought. download to hdd.
2:11 - Pay for online products on the network.
2:11 - similar to xbox live arcade.
2:11 - Network starts when PS3 launches in november.
2:11 - SDK for network distributed next week.
2:12 - Messages can be sent while in a game. You can email your friends from within a game.
2:12 - YOu can buy tracks for a Formula 1 PS3 game on the network. Buy new vehicles as well.

"Then the crowd's shown work-in-progress pictures of the network system, with video chat windows overlaid on games - much like the stuff shown at E3, by the sound of it. Emails and so on can be sent without leaving a game, like on Xbox 360. Next up it's online shops within MotorStorm and F1, integrated with the graphical style of those games so that people can download new cars, tracks and so on. There's a lot of Xbox Live esque functionality being shown, including pop-up notification windows."

Last edited by a moderator:
basanti said:
Why are you getting so defensive. granted 5th Phantom and Sonic were demoed but there were no gameplay elements where you could see the HUD. these arguments are old because they exist. its my opinion that its foolish to be wowed by tech demos. This is a console talk forum. why cant i take them here?

Lets face it, there's been a dearth of info on the PS3 and it's games so now that stuff is breaking out people are excited. If there's a lone voice repeating "tech demo" it might give people the wrong idea about you. Save it til later I reckon because no matter what you say at the moment people are too psyched to really care.

Personally, I'm gonna wait til that media hits the 'net. :)

slider said:
Lets face it, there's been a dearth of info on the PS3 and it's games so now that stuff is breaking out people are excited. If there's a lone voice repeating "tech demo" it might give people the wrong idea about you. Save it til later I reckon because no matter what you say at the moment people are too psyched to really care.

Personally, I'm gonna wait til that media hits the 'net. :)

just trying to keep things in a realistic perspective. I will be dissapointed as well if the gameplay is not upto the level of a technical demo

drpepper said:
I can't believe their online stuff is free. There has to be a catch.

yes there is. its upto the developer to take care of servers and upto the developers if they want to charge or not for using those servers

rounin said:
Where on earth are you people getting these info from??? Is there some kind of live streaming source ?

Various news sites have live blogs.

eurogamer.net
gamedaily (seems out of comission)

Eurogamer seems to have the best feed.

basanti said:
Why are you getting so defensive. granted 5th Phantom and Sonic were demoed but there were no gameplay elements where you could see the HUD. these arguments are old because they exist. its my opinion that its foolish to be wowed by tech demos. This is a console talk forum. why cant i take them here?

maybe he is so sensitive because you say a thing about ps3

but MGS4 too will be a game, but the demo "move the camera" showed is not indicative of the game
so where titanio read that Warhawk is showed from game and not from a tech demo is a mistery
and no, not a single video of gameplay exist
hope in E3

basanti said:
just trying to keep things in a realistic perspective. I will be dissapointed as well if the gameplay is not upto the level of a technical demo

True, but we have E3 coming up and thats the main event......

basanti said:
yes there is. its upto the developer to take care of servers and upto the developers if they want to charge or not for using those servers

But the services, like chat and email. If this is "live" like then they should be seemless within game, I don't think devs are going to charge for such servicing fees.

I hope not anyways.

Back