So England made it to the soccer Super Bowl?

I think its prolly got very little to do with the football, its the increased drinking involved whilst watching the football, ala even if you're happy (cause you won) you're more likely to be violent, not because of football but cause youre drunk

"The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that roughly 55% of domestic abuse perpetrators were drinking alcohol prior to assault."

This particular football fan takes offence at such ridiculous sweeping generalisations. As would the vast majority of football fans who don't, you know, assault or otherwise abuse their partners or family members.

The study from Lancaster University found a few tens of additional cases of violence following World Cup matches within the area overseen by the Lancashire Constabulary. This region contains almost 1.5 million inhabitants. An increase in domestic violence is obviously bad, but trying to somehow tar hundreds of thousands of football fans who aren't abusive with the same brush is preposterous and insulting.

This particular football fan takes offence at such ridiculous sweeping generalisations. As would the vast majority of football fans who don't, you know, assault or otherwise abuse their partners or family members.

The study from Lancaster University found a few tens of additional cases of violence following World Cup matches within the area overseen by the Lancashire Constabulary. This region contains almost 1.5 million inhabitants. An increase in domestic violence is obviously bad, but trying to somehow tar hundreds of thousands of football fans who aren't abusive with the same brush is preposterous and insulting.

It's okay Men are always portrayed as the abuser but most domestic abuse comes from lesbian couples.

"The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that roughly 55% of domestic abuse perpetrators were drinking alcohol prior to assault."

To be pedantic, doesn't the violence happen after the drinking stops? So the drinking activity is fine, but the stop drinking is the bad activity.

That sounds like the most ridiculous bullshit I've read for some time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...-domestic-violence-epidemic-is-silent/281131/

and
http://www.advocate.com/crime/2014/09/04/2-studies-prove-domestic-violence-lgbt-issue

The National Violence Against Women survey found that 21.5 percent of men and 35.4 percent of women living with a same-sex partner experienced intimate-partner physical violence in their lifetimes, compared with 7.1 percent and 20.4 percent for men and women, respectively, with a history of only opposite-sex cohabitation. Transgender respondents had an incidence of 34.6 percent over a lifetime according to a Massachusetts survey. …

You need to stop being gas lighted that men are bad and women are good. The simple truth of the matter is that both sexes can be pretty shitty but one side gets a pass on a lot of the bad stuff they do

I come from a family where my birth mother was abusive to my father and myself but not to my sisters. So trust me I know how evil women can be

To be pedantic, doesn't the violence happen after the drinking stops? So the drinking activity is fine, but the stop drinking is the bad activity.

Have you ever tried beating somebody up while simultaneously pouring booze in your mouth? Multitasking doesn't give good results.

If you are "offended"...then clean up your own "house".
Soccer is infested with violent muppet fans...that thrive becuase they are allowed to.
The whole fan-culture has gone off the rails.
I have never seen any sport have so much violence attached to it (and I do full contact!!!)...the passivity of people like you are the reason it is allowed to flourish for years and years without end.

Clean up your own "house" before pulling the offended card...

Prolly, so the solution is just to never stop drinking till you pass out, passed out == no violence (except to self)
Though not to upset Mariner, Football fans are different eg compared to rugby or cricket (india vs pakistan excepted) in rugby or cricket opposition fans often get along, enjoy the game together, even whilst drunk, i.e. you dont tend to have the hooliganism that is associated with football.
Not sure why this is? The violence is on the field, so theres no need to create it on the streets?
Perhaps its due to its origins, rugby is the game of universities / upper class, football is the game of the uneducated common ppl, but that only really explains the UK.

Though one think I've noticed in rugby now in NZ esp when the opposition player is disliked, there is booing when they take penalty kicks, which never used to occur, which is terrible. Admittedly I don't watch much rugby for at least a decade so arent too sure how common it now is.

Last edited:
Clean up my own house? Who do you think I am? I've been attending football matches for over 40 years and have personally witnessed violence at perhaps 1% of the hundreds of matches I've attended. What am I supposed to do to correct the social ills which are associated with hooliganism? I'm not a politician, not a sports administrator, not involved with any club of fans group. The fact that you are claiming I'm somehow responsible simply because I watch football is ridiculous. As ridiculous as your sweeping claims about the prevalence of domestic abuse related to football matches. It's the alcohol abuse that is the social ill in this regard. Perhaps you'd like to blame Christmas for causing domestic abuse as well because there is a spoke in violence then also.

Do you think that Christmas should be banned? Or perhaps we should just limit alcohol sales over the festive period...

Clean up my own house? Who do you think I am? I've been attending football matches for over 40 years and have personally witnessed violence at perhaps 1% of the hundreds of matches I've attended. What am I supposed to do to correct the social ills which are associated with hooliganism? I'm not a politician, not a sports administrator, not involved with any club of fans group. The fact that you are claiming I'm somehow responsible simply because I watch football is ridiculous. As ridiculous as your sweeping claims about the prevalence of domestic abuse related to football matches. It's the alcohol abuse that is the social ill in this regard. Perhaps you'd like to blame Christmas for causing domestic abuse as well because there is a spoke in violence then also.

Do you think that Christmas should be banned? Or perhaps we should just limit alcohol sales over the festive period...

Why is soccer so filled with violent fans?
I remember the World Cup in France...street fights.
The European Cup....street fights.

Again, NO other sports has this amount of muppet fans doing violence.
I blame the passitivty of ALL fans/clubs...allowing this culture to persist.

It could get cleaned up...but the will to do so are lacking, you are washing your hands (simply accepting status quo)...because the clubs woulds lose money by doing so.

My solution:
Ban speactators if the clubs/fans cannot clean their own "house"...learning by doing.

But let me guess...you would oppose that and maintain status quo?

They done that in the 80s IIRC werent some english spectators not allowed for a time then on the continent
The solution is just to build a time machine go back and switch the legal status of both pot & drink (note I dont smoke pot but do drink booze)

It could get cleaned up...but the will to do so are lacking, you are washing your hands (simply accepting status quo)...because the clubs woulds lose money by doing so.

My solution:
Ban speactators if the clubs/fans cannot clean their own "house"...learning by doing.

Ummm, you mean like Basketball, US Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc.? Where there have been violent riots in some cities when their teams lose the championship? :p

5 Cities that Rioted After Championship Games (mic.com)
Notable sports riots | FOX Sports

Granted it's not quite on a national scale like Soccer (interestingly the term originates in Britain, not the US), but it's rather disingenuous to claim that no other sport can result in fans behaving violently after a loss.

Hell, it even happens in cities where they win the championship game as celebration often turns to violent rioting.

Here's one from when Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl.

Eagles fans party and celebrate in the Philadelphia streets after their team's Super Bowl win - The Washington Post

But still other fans were hell-bent on destruction – driven by what seemed like a sense of duty to uphold the city’s reputation as the hardest of hardcore sports towns — and those people made good on their vow to “break some [stuff],” the destruction getting worse as the night wore on and the alcohol made its inevitable turn from happy buzz to sinister drunk: An occasional smashed store window. A looted convenience store. A small tree somehow uprooted just outside City Hall and being paraded around like a trophy. A handful of cars flipped over. A couple of small fires set.

And it's not just the US. It happens in Canada, Spain, the UK, France, Mexico, Brasil, Argentina, etc. etc.

It's basically just something when you have what amounts to a mob gathering and then people lose their reason. It's not even limited to sports. Just look at how easily "peaceful" political demonstrations can easily devolve to looting and rioting due to "mob mentality."

Regards,
SB

My solution:

Okay, in that case you should hurry up and fix other sweeping societal problems while Mariner focuses on football. Given that it's apparently so easy.

Or maybe it's more practical to stop your smug, sneering, puritanical condescension.

Back