So England made it to the soccer Super Bowl?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm not well versed in true football being an American and all, but I heard something about England making it to the Finals against Denmark for the first time since 1966? Damn, that is a loooong time. Not quite Cubs/World Series long but it is a pretty long time.

I'm acutely aware of how long too, I was born in 1966. Is this a big deal over there? What's going on?

Oh, sorry Denmark but I'm rooting for England. Always been a sucker for the underdogs. :love:

They already beat Denmark in the semi-finals. The final will be against Italy.

And in any England - Denmark matchup England is surely not the underdog.

Otherwise, cool story bro :|

Normally I would support England against lots of countries. But Boris Johnson/Nigel Farage-England? Naaaah.

Since I don't give a monkey's about the kickymans game, it's all weird. When I was collecting my daughter from school this afternoon, there was the usual line of 4 yr olds leaving the playground. Today they were half mumbling/singing "it's coming home, it's coming home". They've no idea what's going on. It's slightly horrific seeing them indoctrinated into a strange national cult.

English people are bloody intolerable talking about '66 and every sniff of getting past qualifiers since. It's a relief when we go out of any major tournament early.

I'm not well versed in true football being an American and all, but I heard something about England making it to the Finals against Denmark for the first time since 1966? Damn, that is a loooong time. Not quite Cubs/World Series long but it is a pretty long time.

I'm acutely aware of how long too, I was born in 1966. Is this a big deal over there? What's going on?

Oh, sorry Denmark but I'm rooting for England. Always been a sucker for the underdogs. :love:

Its an enormous deal over here. Ridiculously so. Weve only made it to the final and people are already acting like we've just won a once a century competition when in reality this is just the Euros (aka small fry compared to the World cup) and between the two tournaments they happen every other year! And the last time we got this far was 1966.

Overdoing it to say the Euros is small fry compared to the World Cup. Realistically, the best teams in the world are all European with Argentina and Brazil added in. It's almost 20 years since a country outside of Europe won the World Cup (Brazil in 2002) and no South American team got past the quarter-final stage in Russia. There has been some really good football and really good games in this tournament. Very few whipping boys, which is a surprise given the expanded nature of the competition with 24 finalists instead of the usual 16. That speaks well for the strength of the game in Europe at present.

England are traditionally a top-10 team in the world who have often had great hopes going into tournaments, but then aren't able to play well enough to really compete for the trophies, as much through mental and organisational failings as anything. I've been far from impressed with Southgate for much of his managerial career, but he certainly seems to be doing something right and we look like a real team rather than just a bunch of individuals for a change. Will be tough to beat the Italians who are unbeaten in years, but we're certainly in with a chance - providing we play well enough and don't freeze under the lights.

I support england in the cricket (except when they play nz or afghanistan), but not in the rugby or football

but being a kiwi I dont give a monkeys about the game of football in the slightest, as its a terribly boring game, but then again cricket can also be and I love that (unless its a lopsided game)
I do love the singing though, not as good as when the welsh do it with the rugby but still much better than the kiwi attempts)

It's because all the other England football songs are god awful

World in Motion begs to differ. I even thought Vindaloo was pleasingly ironic as well!

As for Three Lions, I think the football coming home bit was as much about the tournament being held in England as opposed to our chances of winning it.

Half-time and the English playing a good game. The 1-0 after just 2 minutes threw the Italians in complete disarray and they can't seem to pass without being intercepted. But the last 15 minutes or so saw some good combinations. Can go either way still!

Back