we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence

What short week are you talking about? We're working min. 40 hours a week, plus overtime.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/trends/08/30/ilo.study/
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/26/077.html
http://itotd.com/articles/351/work-week-and-vacation-variances/
http://www.beatyourowndrum.com/career/2006/11/european-work-week.html

40 hours.... hah
huge vacations.... hah

no wonder we cannot learn english, we spend all our time working over here. (or rather, typing on forums at work while computer is running updates)

You do know that the bulk of US professionals work overtime but are paid on salary (i.e. no overtime pay), right?

You do know that the bulk of US professionals work overtime but are paid on salary (i.e. no overtime pay), right?

Seems a bit daft to me. Why do work for which you aren't getting paid?

Personally, I'm self-employed which tends to mean long hours, no overtime pay and few holidays. Yep - I've got it all!

I hope we don't have to start eating British Cuisine (I use the word 'Cuisine' loosely).

That stuff is garbage.

Personally, I'm self-employed which tends to mean long hours, no overtime pay and few holidays. Yep - I've got it all!

The US is more business friendly than most of the industrialized world.

We have two kinds of employee classes:
"Exempt" - those employees who are exempt from overtime pay rules and laws and
"Non-exempt" - those who are not exempt (i.e. they get paid for overtime).

Traditionally "exempt" was mid-managerial and above. Over the years - and rather abruptly about 3 years ago under Bush and the GOP congress - more and more people are being classed as "exempt." It's basically a way of cutting their pay (boosting corporate profits) all with the stamp of approval from the gov't.

I know a maintenance guy at a plant near my office who was just reclassified as "exempt" and has seen about a 30% pay cut owing to not getting paid for overtime.

Lovely isn't it?

I also work for myself (until the wife and I eventually sell out and work for the new owners) so I'm basically never off the clock as I have customers in virtually every inhabited time zone.

I hope we don't have to start eating British Cuisine (I use the word 'Cuisine' loosely). That stuff is garbage.

For the most part I wholeheartedly agree...however, there are some English snacks I favor:
- the small sandwiches with watercress and the like (cheese and "pickles" being a favorite although it's not what we call "pickles")
- fish and chips (malt vinegar please)
- English breakfast (with tea please) - mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and eggs with toast and a bit of bovril is quite tasty in the AM

I also like a good Tika Masala or Vindaloo but I guess it's not technically "English" :)

LOL mito. Don't forget bizarre love of Country Western music

Are you trying to be ironic? One only has to watch American Idol to see its Americans that have the wierd fascinaton with Country and Western. I guarentee you its WAY more popular in the US than it is in the UK.

As for roundabouts, they work a lot better than traffic lights in many situations. I should know, some brainiac decide to replace a local roundabout that worked perfectly with a traffic light junction and now the whole road is forever queued.

I hope we don't have to start eating British Cuisine (I use the word 'Cuisine' loosely).

That stuff is garbage.

How do you define British Cuisine? There are few truly traditionally british dishes that are widespread in Britain as far as I know. Most of our food is foriegn.

The tranditional English foods that I can thing of though are great. Certainly nothing anyware cmpares to an English breakfast while pretty much anything from a chippy is great.

Don't forget the "guv'ment healthcare smile" - standard issue to all British citizens. ;)

Thats particular stereotype is even less true than the "all americans are fat and dumb" one.

Aside from anything else, dental care isn't actually free in the UK. General healthcare is though and it certainly isn't something we would class as a bad thing.

Are you trying to be ironic? One only has to watch American Idol to see its Americans that have the wierd fascinaton with Country and Western. I guarentee you its WAY more popular in the US than it is in the UK.

I realize that the blame for country music lies squarely on the backs of american idiocy, but that's no excuse for it being embraced elsewhere. It's right up there with the popularity of frickin' Budweiser in England when you've got Newcastle, Samuel Smiths and Guinness. Mind boggling.

The tranditional English foods that I can thing of though are great. Certainly nothing anyware cmpares to an English breakfast while pretty much anything from a chippy is great.

You *like* overcooked greens? Meat that is invariably one step shy of coal? Shepherd's pie? Kidney pie? Blood pudding?

Basically English cuisine is largely comprised of either boiling or frying the everloving shit out of anything remotely edible.

That said, a full English breakfast is a favorite of mine for sure (as I said above).

I realize that the blame for country music lies squarely on the backs of american idiocy, but that's no excuse for it being embraced elsewhere. It's right up there with the popularity of frickin' Budweiser in England when you've got Newcastle, Samuel Smiths and Guinness. Mind boggling.

I'm not sure were your getting the idea that country music is popular in Britain from. I assure you, its not. Its not even remotely popular.

You *like* overcooked greens? Meat that is invariably one step shy of coal? Shepherd's pie? Kidney pie? Blood pudding?

Blood pudding? Kidney pie? These things aren't common British foods. Perhaps they originated in England but they certainly don't represent average British cuisine. You certainly won't find them in your average British menu.

Shepherds pie is fairly common but im not sure whats wrong with mince meat and potatoe, its frickin lovely :smile:.

i don't know anybody that isn't salary that works less than 50 hours/week. This also doesn't include the minions from walmart that consider 50 a slow week.

Yes, it's incredibly stupid, but in america if you go salary, and refuse to put in the extra hours(which quickly turns into every week) you can say goodbye to your job.

Get up at 6:30... get dressed, groom yourself, drive 30 minutes through traffic to work... then work 8-5:30 or 6... drive 30 minutes home, cook supper eat... bam, it's 8-8:30pm already. Re-kindle some spirit with your wife/girlfriend, finish up some more work on your laptop, time for bed. Repeat 5 or 6 times every week... multiply by 50. It's all you can do on weekends just to clean your house and mow your lawn. People wonder how americans are so uninformed on the international scale, too busy working. No time to read the news, or for that matter, so busy with work no time to really even care what else happens in the world... *sigh* the corporate world. (this isn't everybody mind you but millions across the country for sure)

And you can stop saying "JAGwar" as well
Double plus rep for that post!!:LOL:

Kidney pie? These things aren't common British foods.
Did you mean "Steak and Kidney pie"? It should be more common. It's great. Even my 3 y.o. likes it.
Shepherds pie is fairly common but im not sure whats wrong with mince meat and potatoe, its frickin lovely :smile:.
I had some "Shepherds pie" in the US in a pub/restaurant called "The Elephant and Castle" and you would think, with a title like that, they'd get i right. sigh. (Technically, they should have called in cottage pie as it was made with beef instead of lamb but that wasn't as bad as the fact that the mashed spud on top was soggy :( )

by blood pudding he means "black pudding" and it is indeed the food of the gods
And here was I thinking it was just used for the martial art of "Ecky Thump"

I've spent the past two weeks in Cambridge (here until friday), and my opinion on food in general in Britain: SHITE.

Even the curries are just 'ok', as far as I can tell. Or maybe I'm just going to bad restaurants, or maybe Cambridge is just a blight on the culinary map.

I had some decent sausages at a pub, some good fish and chips. An attrocious hamburger.

Lousy chinese(hot and spicy apparently means soy sauce. No chili sauce available, just ketchup), only passable curry (again, 'hot and spicy' meant something slightly north of ketchup), meh italian (and I've tried 3 places, only one was moderately ok). The english breakfast was pretty tasty, though.

And an utter crap steak.

/misses my Tex-mex and bbq

I'm surprised you've not had some decent food somewhere Russ, though I've not visited Cambridge so I can't comment about the place. It's in a relatively prosperous area though so I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get good food around there.

I've found you can generally get a pretty good curry in practically every place I've visited in the UK. As for heat, you'll always find a Vindaloo in UK curry houses although many are pretty tasteless apart from the spiciness.

Chinese (or Cantonese to be precise) is often hit and miss but I've generally had more good/decent Chinese food on my travels than bad Chinese.

I'll agree that the quality of Italian food in the UK can tend to be a bit iffy. I can only think of a few good Italian meals I've had in restaurants - too much cheesy bland rubbish and I'd rather cook my own. I'd imagine the situation is much better in cities with larger Italian populations - I remember having a very nice (and cheap) Italian meal in Soho a few years back.

Lincolnshire sausages are the finest in the world as far as I'm concerned (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a yellowbelly). ;)

My sister lived in Finland for 10 years wish a Finnish boyfriend and he insisted on eating Lincolnshire sausages every day when he visited, usually taking a few pounds back with him!

You'll find that some traditional English local dishes are pretty tasty, if not particularly delicate in comparison to Continental cuisine.

A good roast dinner can be truly fantastic. You don't have to overcook the vegetables and meat, you know!

Back